Havoline Pro DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have searched the forums and havnt found any solid info on the Pro DS. I just got 10 qts and 2 Drive works filters for $35.XX at AAP. This is my first time using a Havoline product.
I have read the PSD from Havoline but was wondering if anyone has used this for a few OCI and what your opinion is.
Thanks.

Originally Posted By: tojo1968
I have searched the forums and havnt found any solid info on the Pro DS. I just got 10 qts and 2 Drive works filters for $35.XX at AAP. This is my first time using a Havoline product.
I have read the PSD from Havoline but was wondering if anyone has used this for a few OCI and what your opinion is.
Thanks.

I am a Havoline 'fanboy" so of course I am going to say it is a great oil. Quirks tend that it is a "lighter" oil in the respective weights. A bit of a sleeper oil but is hard to find in a lot of weights.

Did you get the new bottles or the old bottles? AA has a lot of the old bottles still on the shelf in my area.
New:
Full_Synthetic_Simplified_1QT_Large.jpg

What is "Deposit Shield"? Marketing buzz word? Other oils don't protect us against deposits?
Chevron (Havoline) has always made great oils, a solid company we can trust. Love da Chevron Oronite website for techie stuff!
One thing a bit odd about Havoline, QSUD, and Pennz Plat, is that they all use little to no boron, sodium, or moly (low), as seen in http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html yet they do perform.

I have run Havoline Pro DS at times and have always been happy. I am running it currently because like others I got a great deal on it
smile.gif
the only note is that the 5w30 is a tick more volatile than some others has evidenced by its NOACK if 13. The conventional is right at 15. The 10w30 is at 9 which is very solid for that. I have run the conventional and I was very pleased with it too. Havoline is just what Futuredoc says it is. A very good sleeper oil. I just wish they had the 5 qt containers at Wally world. It's everyday price would probably be at $20.97. Right in line with Quaker State ultimate durability. Another very good oil in a great price range too.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Thanks.

I am a Havoline 'fanboy" so of course I am going to say it is a great oil. Quirks tend that it is a "lighter" oil in the respective weights. A bit of a sleeper oil but is hard to find in a lot of weights.

Did you get the new bottles or the old bottles? AA has a lot of the old bottles still on the shelf in my area.
New:
Full_Synthetic_Simplified_1QT_Large.jpg

Yes these are the qts I bought. (In the pic) The numbers had me a bit confused but i see now what you mean by it being a bit on the "thin" side of a 30w.

Last edited:
Yes, Havoline has always been on the thin side for their weight, but they put up excellent UOAs so it doesn't seem to be an issue. Havoline is great oil, if I didn't already have over a year's worth of oil in my stash I would've bought some Havoline during it's current sale.

For the price of eggs... I would get a Fram Ultra and run it at least 10k. For $9 at Wally world it is a good deal. That Havoline deal is pretty doggone decent in my opinion even without using the filter that comes with it.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
For the price of eggs... I would get a Fram Ultra and run it at least 10k. For $9 at Wally world it is a good deal. That Havoline deal is pretty doggone decent in my opinion even without using the filter that comes with it.

For the month of September NAPA's Platinum oil filter is on sale for $8.99.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: gallydif
Have you opened up a driveworks filter to see what they look like inside. I would be interested. Word is they are junk. With that AAP special, for $2 more you get the Purolator Pure1 filter.
And maybe people's answers in this thread will help you. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._Ha#Post3847458

I will do that and post pics. I have many OEM filters (This is why i didnt upgrade the filter) and dont intend on using the Driveworks filters.

Originally Posted By: gallydif
Have you opened up a driveworks filter to see what they look like inside. I would be interested. Word is they are junk. With that AAP special, for $2 more you get the Purolator Pure1 filter.
And maybe people's answers in this thread will help you. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._Ha#Post3847458

I will do that and post pics. I have many OEM filters (This is why i didnt upgrade the filter) and dont intend on using the Driveworks filters.

I look forward to it
smile.gif

I would pick the Driveworks over the Pure1 filter... they might be cheap jobbers, but they hold up a lot better than "tearolators" (two personal tears for me).

Yeah, some folks like the heavier oil in the specs but for me if I want heavier, I jump up a weight.

I always found this interesting, M1 AFE likely has a better pour point but I am never near those numbers.
Havoline 5w30@ 40C: 55.6, @100C 10.0, Viscosity Ind: 170
M1 AFE 0w30: @ 40C: 62.9, @100 10.9, Viscosity Ind: 166

The once down side is with the PQIA and the 5w30 TBN levels (lower) but a lot of UOA come back string even with dino variants. On the other hand, the 5w20 had the second highest of the 5w20s. Go figure. I guess that showcases the problem with single samples.

Yeah I see on the Havoline data sheets the TBN is 8.5 with their Pro DS. The conventional oil is now at 7.4. Was 8.5. You well know that the TBN is not linear in how it decreases. I think all open highway driving the Havoline Pro DS can go 10k miles. 50\50 city highway mix 7500. But for the money... It's a very good oil. QSUD is another oil that for the money is a very good deal.
Ohh and you and I need to start a Havoline fan club... We are about the only ones who talk about it on here. We need to get the word out. They really do have very good products for less money.

After I'm finished with the PYB in my stash - this Pro DS 5W30 and Havoline Conventional 5W30 (case) are next inline for me to try out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Ohh and you and I need to start a Havoline fan club... We are about the only ones who talk about it on here. We need to get the word out. They really do have very good products for less money.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back