Havoline motor oil?

I remember when you could get it everywhere. Now it's nowhere. Why? Walmart has it in those cardboard boxes like cheap wine comes in for a short time. I see it at the grocery store for 4.99 a quart. Is it junk or something? Why is it not available anywhere anymore?

I remember when you could get it everywhere. Now it's nowhere. Why? Walmart has it in those cardboard boxes like cheap wine comes in for a short time. I see it at the grocery store for 4.99 a quart. Is it junk or something? Why is it not available anywhere anymore?
There's nothing wrong with Halvoline. Stores have limited space and the slow sellers get the boot.

One of the best everyday deals around is the related Chevron Supreme at www.walmart.com in various viscosities for $17.44 a jug. Plus with home delivery you save on time and gas.

I use it in some of my high mileage vehicles. I get the HM formula and it has actually reduced oil consumption. I buy it on line from WM when it is on sale. Have several boxes delivered to my door. A great oil at a great price.

Boxed oil? no problem here... Havoline, Super Tech, Valvoline, and even Mobil 1. In general I've found the boxed oil is much much cheaper for the quantity that you're paying for, quarts are ridiculously overpriced as it is. I calculated M1 as an example but for the price per quart you are saving $8 by choosing the box instead of the 5 qt jug, the jugs comes to $5.59 qt, the box is $4.92 which is .67 cents savings and multiple that by 12 and it's $8.04 saved from purchasing the box vs the jug, tax excluded of course. 2 jugs of the M1 is almost as expensive as their boxed oil so you're only paying a tiny but extra but also getting 2 more qts.

PXL_20231030_185836114.jpg

PXL_20231030_185901129.jpg

Last edited:
It's not junk just an run of the mill OTC oil. Historically had high Noack volatility.

It is on par (per qt pricing) with QS and PP around here. I would buy it if it didn’t come in those boxes. I use the old jugs to dispose of the oil. I don’t want to lug my used oil container around if I don’t have to.

I just changed my oil yesterday using the Havoline DS “bag in a box”. I poured my used oil back in the bag/box and took it to the used oil recycle place today. Easy peasy.

I just changed my oil yesterday using the Havoline DS “bag in a box”. I poured my used oil back in the bag/box and took it to the used oil recycle place today. Easy peasy.
Not a bad idea. Worst case one could always save an old 5qt jug from another oil change. If it is on sale maybe I will try it one day.

They are available down here from walmart online only.
but its a good 6 quart deal.

We used the regular and hi mi versions in:

Wrangler V6 pentastar
Camry 4 cylinder 2Az-Fe
F150 5.4L 3V

never had any issues. it is good budget oil and i do not feel bad tossing it in the garbage after the oil recycling.

I worked for a big box store in the Midwest in the 80s. Nothing else touched the response we’d get when we ran Havoline on sale.

Definitely faded since then but around.

Boxed oil? no problem here... Havoline, Super Tech, Valvoline, and even Mobil 1. In general I've found the boxed oil is much much cheaper for the quantity that you're paying for, quarts are ridiculously overpriced as it is. I calculated M1 as an example but for the price per quart you are saving $8 by choosing the box instead of the 5 qt jug, the jugs comes to $5.59 qt, the box is $4.92 which is .67 cents savings and multiple that by 12 and it's $8.04 saved from purchasing the box vs the jug, tax excluded of course. 2 jugs of the M1 is almost as expensive as their boxed oil so you're only paying a tiny but extra but also getting 2 more qts.

View attachment 186063
View attachment 186064

The 6-quart boxes can be good value if you need between 5 and 6 quarts for an OCI. Most of my vehicles take between 4.5 and 5 quarts and consume no oil, so I don't find it practical to keep the box container with around 1 quart remaining. I'll pay a little extra per quart for a 5-quart jug instead.

Back