Havoline High Mileage 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised the "High Mileage Oil" fans haven't tried this one. It is a good 75 cents to a buck cheeper (at least at the store near me) than the Castrol, Valvoline and Pennz high mileage offerings. I think the Havoline HM was $1.80/qt. Heck, thats only 20 cents more than the Wally World HM 10w-30.

Anyone here tried the Havoline HM or plan to?

I tend to view the HM oils as 2 distinct categories, the heavy weights & the standard weights.

In the 10W-30 grade, the heavies are Chevron/Havoline, Citgo Ultralife, and Pennzoil HM. These oils run 83 cSt at 40C & 12 cSt at 100C. Good oils for noisy engines or slight oil consumption problems.

Mobil DC, Castrol, & Maxlife are the standard weight oils. All the HM oils have extra detergent adds and seal conditioners.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
What store was it in, Mike?

Advance Auto. I wish I had stopped at that store before I purchased the Supertech Syn Blend HM 10w-30 that I put in my dads '96 Taurus today.

Kragen here in SoCal has a sale on Chevron High Mileage - which may be basically the same thing - for $1.50 per quart with a coupon.

I think it may end tomorrow (June 26), but I'm not certain.

Kragens here seem to stock both Chevron and Havoline products, and IIRC the Havoline oils are a bit (~20 cents/qt) more expensive.

I like the Havoline HM in a 10w30. I used it in a high mileage 93 Mazda 626 - 150k. It seems to have eliminated much of the clicking that I get on startup, and the valve clatter that occurs when I haven't driven the car for a few days.

Both the Chevron and Havoline HM data sheets read the same, except for TBN. A .1 difference in TBN is of minor significance in the performance of the oils, yet must exist for a reason.

Chevron HM Oils Product Data

Havoline HM OIls Product Data

I like the looks of the Chevron HM oil, as it is a very traditional light, golden honey color - not dark, as some oils are.

Havoline HM users, what does the oil look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back