Having a common battery for all my tools is nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was using 18v DeWalt, 18v Snap-on & 14.4v Snap-on battery powered tools, The DeWalt XRP batteries were starting to give out in a little over a year since I bought 2 new ones from Home Depot. The Snap-on 18V impact has been a joke ever since I bought it used in like new condition.

I've been very impressed with the Snap-on 14.4 Micro-Lithium line, My oldest batteries are 4 years old & still perform like new.

I already had the flashlight, 1/4" & 3/8" ratchets, NO issues other than the rubber degrading from ATF exposure.

Made the leap & bought a 3/8" capacity drill, Screwdriver, 1/4" quick change impact, & a 3/8" drive impact. The CT761A 3/8" Impact is the only tool I bought off the Snap-on truck brand new.....My rep gave my $200 trade-in for my 18v Snap-on 3/8" impact. Dead-Body 14.4v 3/8" impact with 1 battery retails for $317, He knocked it down to $300 even including tax. So I got off the rape van for $100!!!!

CDR761A drill off E-bay for $80 with one battery, Good condition.
CT761QC 1/4" quick change impact off E-bay for $200 with 2 batteries & charger. MINT condition!
CTS761 1/4" quick change Screwdriver off E-bay for $97 with 1 battery & charger, Tool is mint....Battery is a little beat-up.

I like the "Rocker Switch" & the compact size of these tools, I seriously considered the Milwaukee 12v line....But taking in account that I already own the SO electric ratchets made the decision easy!

HiCRAGi.jpg

PLTKM9P.jpg

I love the 14.4v line. Ive got the 3/8 impact, ratchet and new 1/4 ratchet. The 1/4 ratchet with the smaller head is the best, might be the most used tool in my box. You need this tool trust me!!

Best value comes from picking a system and sticking with it. Just make sure the tools that are "must have's" and the tools that you might pickup for a job are in the line and perform adequately.

I don't use high voltage portable tools; I'm either AC wired for low demand and extra power, air tools for high demand and extra power, and Milwaukee M12 tools for light weight and portability. I can see the utility of a high voltage portable in some cases, but the added weight is an issue for me so I make do with the M12s for tight spaces, using up ladders, small jobs, etc and tethered for the rest.

Well it works to a point. I agree with the general concept. I bought a lot of Milwaukee M18 Fuel tools. I think they are excellent.

But recently my old Tornado cordless chainsaw became useless due to its battery being shot. NiCad battery.

Looked around for a small bar length chainsaw and ended up with a Ryobi (10" or 12") to cut small scrub. I have 20" gas chain saws for larger stuff.

So I broke with my Milwaukee M18 for the chainsaw. Milwaukee will have a 16" one this summer. But I want a small bar, and light.

Currently switching over my Dewalt stuff to 20V due to the 18V batts getting weak and my dealer offering good incentives. Had an 18V 1/2 impact gun and was unimpressed. The 20V version (899 model) is a complete beast. Using the 20V to 18 V adapter to use the new batteries on my older tools. I've heard the Snap-On stuff is excellent....I'd have bought it but my dealer for the last 5 years is a doofus so he doesn't get much business from me anymore.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Well it works to a point. I agree with the general concept. I bought a lot of Milwaukee M18 Fuel tools. I think they are excellent.

But recently my old Tornado cordless chainsaw became useless due to its battery being shot. NiCad battery.

Looked around for a small bar length chainsaw and ended up with a Ryobi (10" or 12") to cut small scrub. I have 20" gas chain saws for larger stuff.

So I broke with my Milwaukee M18 for the chainsaw. Milwaukee will have a 16" one this summer. But I want a small bar, and light.

You can always change the bar and chain to a shorter one. They use a standard bolt pattern and spacing, so any brand will do. You generally get more cutting power when you do as well. Very common practice in the forestry industry to buy a big 50~75 cc saw with an 18" long bar and install a shorter 16" one. Husqvarna makes them up to 119 cc but they are heavy saws; Johnsred, etc have similar ranges).

You can dismantle a NiCad pack and install new cells. It's not for the average Joe but it can be done.

I'm still stuck on 3 different batteries.. luckily its not a big deal.

I love the size of those 14.4v snap-ons but I am not invested in it and wont be.

I have a few m12 tools, a ton of dewalt, and 18v bosch drill and impact driver

Since the bosch set is darn good and it was clearance it doesnt bother me much.

The m12 is for compact size tools so thats ok too..

but I WONT be buying for example any more 18-20v sets.

and I'll probably eventually give the bosch set away and buy dewalt.

People should check out the new m12 fuel stubby impacts if you have that set of batteries..
they look pretty useful..

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/pow...t-wrench/40054/

tiny and 250ft-lb torque in 1/2 or 3/8, the 1/4 drive they limit to 100ft-lb

Quote:
Weight (w/ XC4.0 battery): 2.0 lbs

unnamed-19-770x472.jpg

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
I have a gen2 fuel 1/4 impact and it is a beast, you are missing out!

They do everything I need, Don't see how I'm missing out? The rocker style switch on the impacts & screwdriver is really what sold me.

Have you used a Snap-on 761 impact before? I've used the Milwaukee M12 & M18 line quite a bit & think they are really good tools & I never said the SO 14.4v line is better than the M12 line.

I will say that I DO NOT care for the Snap-on 18v line.

I recently retired all my 18 volt DeWalt stuff and got 18 Volt Milwaukee tools. I got the 1/2" drive impact, the Fuel driver drill and an angle grinder. Like em all a lot. I think I want one of those little 12 volt drivers. I already have spare 12 volt batteries and a charger with the infa red camera so I can get the tool only and save a bunch.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: maxdustington
I have a gen2 fuel 1/4 impact and it is a beast, you are missing out!

They do everything I need, Don't see how I'm missing out? The rocker style switch on the impacts & screwdriver is really what sold me.

Have you used a Snap-on 761 impact before? I've used the Milwaukee M12 & M18 line quite a bit & think they are really good tools & I never said the SO 14.4v line is better than the M12 line.

I will say that I DO NOT care for the Snap-on 18v line.

I don't see how you are missing out either, those a nice tools. I use Makita 18V tools an have had great experience with them but I have been adding to the Hilti 22V and 120V tools lately, the quality of the Hilti is head and shoulders above anything I have seen or used except maybe the old Metabo and Festo corded stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back