Have you changed your driving habits?

No but I do need a car that’s better on gas. It’s roughly costing $60+ a fill up. Today stopped at two stations in different areas both out of anything but premium. So had to pay $4.99 a gallon. I will say it doesn’t cost as much as our van to fill up but it still hurts spending that much on gas knowing I could be using it on something else. I don’t drive more than I have too because I don’t like driving and have no desire to drive. 30 miles to work and 30 back with a V6 is not the most fuel efficient thing lol. I could take my truck just hate driving stick through town it’s a little better on gas though. I want to buy a different car but we don’t have room for it and I’m too attached to the ones I have so I can’t get another one because I can’t get rid of one. So no I haven’t really changed any habits. I just don’t drive anywhere but to work and back but that’s what I have done since I started. Everywhere else I need to go I find a ride.
60 miles a day, times 5, so 300 miles a week. Once a week fillup at $60 per? Spitballing that is 15 gallons and thus 20mpg. Seems low. Ok, so go from 20mpg to 30mpg you'd save 5 gallons or about $20 a week. Not bad. About $90 a month? (rounding to 4.5weeks per month) $1k per year? Can you buy something that would save money, or would it cost more to obtain than you'd save?

4f00a09be7af97bb2b568cce79d148f4.jpg

95% of our miles are commuting to and from work. Have started condensing trips when possible. Groceries on the way home instead of going back out, etc.

Still take trips for cofee and donuts at the farmers market and still run my mk8 Gti on map 6 at 8 psi over stock.
Went to costco today and felt bad for everyone at the pump. Costco gas vs shell down the road was like 7c cheaper per gallon; I want to say 2 months ago you could save 40c a gallon and premium was unde $4 I think.
Nothing like it was 3 years ago at something like $2 but whatever. Ill keep my petrol till they take away every gas station.
The lines at Costco and Safeway(to a point) are bad lately.

For gas prices? No, but I don't drive all that much either (8-10K miles per year). My driving habits did change when I bought the Tundra though because with the low-end torque I don't need to lay into the throttle nearly as much and it's a pickup so it's never going to be sporty. So I'm usually doing the speed limit or slightly above with a much more relaxed driving style. With this method, I get 14.5mpg instead of 12.5mpg...lol.

I own 3 V8 powered vehicles and filling them all up is still cheaper than dropping five figures on an electric car and home charging system. Absolutely no changes on my end and I plan on burning more and more hydrocarbons for my personal fun and gain.

No.

ATMOF, in the early 2000s shortly after we bought our 1st SUV(‘01 Lexus RX300), gas had gone to over $4/gal and almost $5/gal for a short time. And the car was not good on fuel. We drove everywhere.

Now we are still driving where we need to go however it is/was Covid that caused us to change our driving and driving less.

Have gas prices changed your driving habits yet? Making less trips? Driving slower? Buying/using a different vehicle?

No changes here - drive 75 miles highway per day to and from work, already drive at the limit bc of a speeding ticket, and rarely go out when not working, just keep myself busy at home.

Still makes $$$ sense to keep the job, and can’t afford a new/different car, so will just keep keepin’ on…how about you?

No change here.

I've always driven fairly conservatively preferring to leave a bit earlier and drive a hair slower than many.

This comes from my farm background of having to pay and repair yourself what you wear out, as well as money being of finite availability.

Having the luxury of a "big" and "little" truck allows me to tailor the trip to the right vehicle.
Living in the mountains means nothing gets good mileage on a daily basis.

Back