Have you changed your driving habits?

Have gas prices changed your driving habits yet? Making less trips? Driving slower? Buying/using a different vehicle?

No changes here - drive 75 miles highway per day to and from work, already drive at the limit bc of a speeding ticket, and rarely go out when not working, just keep myself busy at home.

Still makes $$$ sense to keep the job, and can’t afford a new/different car, so will just keep keepin’ on…how about you?
Yes I had to drive 400 kms (240 miles) round trip today for work. I kept to the speed to the posted limit of 100km/h 62mph. Engine revs stayed at 1500 rpm on the caravan and Cruise control used for most of the trip. Everyone passed me even the loaded trucks. I'll keep it up, I could afford to speed (use more gas), but the government and big oil doesn't need any more money from me.

I started thinking about this. Are we just being dramatic? Sure it's gone up a lot, but is gas really that expensive?

The average American drives 15,000 miles per year and the average car gets 25 mpg. 600 gallons of gas per year. Gas today is $4.31, one year ago it was $2.81. $2,586 vs. $1,686. A $900 difference per year, or $75 a month. $35 a paycheck every 2 weeks.

People are saying they can't afford to drive anymore. Is $35 every 2 weeks really life changing? I'm not trying to come across like a jerk, I'm sure it is to some people, but for most of us?

My driving habits and trips are exactly the same. Gas prices have no bearing whatsoever on vehicle choice, throttle/braking, or how far I drive/ride.

Next few weeks I’ll be doing my usual towing for parents to their home in NV. 600 mile round trip at about 12mpg a few times a week.

Gas is hovering around 6 bucks a gallon and as long as it does not go over 10.00 I’m ok. After 10.00 I’ll have to make some slight changes. I planned and budgeted for this back in 2008 when the gas was at 5.00 a gallon.

Wife and I are planning a cross country tour and price of gas is no consideration at all. Our trip will be the same if not more miles than planned.

I don’t understand at all why so many are upset and panicked about this? I knew this was coming 20 January 2021. By end of that day was when the first 20 cent spike occurred.

I’ve been using public transit more since I’m going into the office. And I also have a target painted on my back(Prius) for a decatting, this time thieves are even more brazen and will cut through a shield or cables.

I’ve actually seen a homeless person with a stolen DeWalt FlexVolt angle grinder on the streets last week. That will make quick work off a Prius/Element/CR-V or a bike lock.

No big changes for myself or my wife. We've always tried to combine trip purposes when possible. Well, at least I do. My wife still works part time so she's burning far more gas than I. I'll take less joy rides in my old hooptie 6 banger truck. At 15-16 mpg locally, the 30 gal tank is $$. I'll still ride my 41 yr. old Suzuki no matter what. Even if I am definitely getting too old for that.

I am cutting back on all energy use.
I am doing so not because of the cost but because I am disgusted with the whole ordeal.

Here it is eerie silent at night and I live on a truck route. It seems that only travel these days is the necessary kind....

Will it help anything? Probably not but I am starting to enjoy the minimalist lifestyle...

As you age owning a bunch of crap no longer excites you...that said it is a personal choice and not something that I think anyone should force on others. To each his own.

Sitting home beats sitting in traffic.

gas_001.jpg

Being retired i don't have to drive much. I only drive about 6k miles a year now regardless of gas prices. Best thing i can do is to combine 3 or 4 daily trips into 1 with a little coordination and planning

I started thinking about this. Are we just being dramatic? Sure it's gone up a lot, but is gas really that expensive?

The average American drives 15,000 miles per year and the average car gets 25 mpg. 600 gallons of gas per year. Gas today is $4.31, one year ago it was $2.81. $2,586 vs. $1,686. A $900 difference per year, or $75 a month. $35 a paycheck every 2 weeks.

People are saying they can't afford to drive anymore. Is $35 every 2 weeks really life changing? I'm not trying to come across like a jerk, I'm sure it is to some people, but for most of us?
For some people it really does impact their finances. My previous job had me driving 100 miles a day. I got paid for mileage, but you can bet the company isn't increasing that rate. I'm fortunate enough that it doesn't impact me too much, and I enjoy driving so the cost doesn't have as much of a sting. I have friends/family who are struggling as it is, and the higher fuel prices will have an impact since they have longer commutes as well as the trickle down from fuel prices increasing costs in other areas.

Like usual, I unfortunately think it will have the biggest impact on those living beyond their means, and those who are having a hard time making ends meet. If someone can't afford to drive anymore after a couple dollar increase per gallon of fuel, to me it sounds like they have the wrong vehicle for their situation.

Stopped driving the Xterra that gets 15mpg and requires 91 octane and brought my Golf back into DD status. Realized it needs front struts and parking brake cables, so how much am I really saving?

Definitely not ripping down the highway at 130km/h anymore either, and our summer off-roading trips will probably be less if at all..

Starting a new job on Monday that will take my commute from 15km round trip to about 30km round trip. But at least it is all hwy and not all city like my current job.

I figure that there will be a lot of good deals on used trucks in a few months. I've been wanting to replace my Tahoe with another pickup, but there hasn't been anything to pick from. Problem is the value on my Tahoe will be dropping fast too. I should sell it and wait, but I need something to haul stuff when needed. I have been driving my Camry anyway, even when gas was cheap, since it gets double the mileage than my truck does.

Nope. Full send. 4/5 in the fleet take 93. We don't drive a ton of miles for 4/5 of them. It's a about $10/fillup more for each vehicle. Most get filled every other week. I drive mine still for fun/fart around.

Last edited:
Still take trips for cofee and donuts at the farmers market and still run my mk8 Gti on map 6 at 8 psi over stock.
Went to costco today and felt bad for everyone at the pump. Costco gas vs shell down the road was like 7c cheaper per gallon; I want to say 2 months ago you could save 40c a gallon and premium was unde $4 I think.
Nothing like it was 3 years ago at something like $2 but whatever. Ill keep my petrol till they take away every gas station.

No but I do need a car that’s better on gas. It’s roughly costing $60+ a fill up. Today stopped at two stations in different areas both out of anything but premium. So had to pay $4.99 a gallon. I will say it doesn’t cost as much as our van to fill up but it still hurts spending that much on gas knowing I could be using it on something else. I don’t drive more than I have too because I don’t like driving and have no desire to drive. 30 miles to work and 30 back with a V6 is not the most fuel efficient thing lol. I could take my truck just hate driving stick through town it’s a little better on gas though. I want to buy a different car but we don’t have room for it and I’m too attached to the ones I have so I can’t get another one because I can’t get rid of one. So no I haven’t really changed any habits. I just don’t drive anywhere but to work and back but that’s what I have done since I started. Everywhere else I need to go I find a ride.

Back