Have you changed your driving habits?

This whole fuel pricing thing has had a very positive impact on my life. I can no longer afford to drive so I am therefore walking every place or riding my bicycle. This has improved my physical well being tremendously. I have lost weight which has a positive side effect of making me feel better PLUS when I do drive my car it has to work less since it's carrying less payload. This has improved the fuel economy. And... with the higher cost of fuel I am able to empty my wallet of excess cash which also has the side effect of improving my vehicle's fuel economy.

There's a silver lining to every situation. :)
feed me car version.JPG

I just took the roof rack and Thule ski box off my MINI Clubman (a few weeks earlier than normal), but that’s about it. Its a pretty big MPG hit at 70+ MPH.

I leave the house earlier to get to work, but there's never traffic at 2:30a. Sometimes freeway ramps are closed for work so I'll have to drive further to exit. Since I left earlier I can still cruise at a reasonable speed & be earlier to work.

When we're out & about as a fam we take my gf's Civic

Have gas prices changed your driving habits yet? Making less trips? Driving slower? Buying/using a different vehicle?

No changes here - drive 75 miles highway per day to and from work, already drive at the limit bc of a speeding ticket, and rarely go out when not working, just keep myself busy at home.

Still makes $$$ sense to keep the job, and can’t afford a new/different car, so will just keep keepin’ on…how about you?
I WFH so a tank of gas lasts 8 weeks. I now thow some stbil in my tank b/c my car is parked outside. My biggest issue is keeping the battery fully charged and the car clean.

This time of year I usually drive my Sierra more due to snow but so far this year we haven't had anything over a couple inches so it's been sitting more. One good thing about that is no salt on the roads (y)

I use two tanks of fuel a month. $40 extra per month is not going to change my habits. (94 is $2.24/L, which works out to $6.63/US/gallon)

I did order two new secondary O2 sensors though. The primaries were already replaced last year.

Last edited:
No. I bought my Camry instead of an SUV a year ago on purpose, knowing this would happen again someday.

I also, thankfully, finally realized why our minivan was getting dismal mileage and fixed it, just in time. Probably won’t notice a savings, as the returned mileage will wash out the $ saved at the pump.

Time to add a couple PSI to the tires, I suppose.

Funny this thread popped up, as I wondered the same thing as I went around some slower drivers today. They were also in sedans. The large SUV’s and trucks aren’t noticing the increase based on the lack of change in their driving.

No change of habits here but I don't drive aggressively anyways and rarely do more than 65/70 mph on the highways unless the speed limit is higher than 70. If anything, it will make me go back to using the commuter train for the rare instances I go into the office as it works out to $5/day for using the train vs the $70 for gas + parking if I drive in.

speed limit local
3-4 over speed limit HWY
Coast to a stop
No hard acceleration
use cruise cntl when i can

I started a new job just in time for this Ukraine b.s. to start. As of February 8th, I take the train to work so my commute dropped from 19 mi to 7 mi. It's definitely made a difference how often I visit Exxon.

My cabbage headed neighbor hasn't either. He still warms up his car every morning for 20-25 minutes before traveling five miles to work.

Back