Have there ever been any parked vehicles totaled or almost totaled on the street you live on, by speeding drivers?

Yep, have lived in my house for 29 years now. Most people only have on street parking in my neighborhood. There is a stop sign 1 house down from me and the speed limit is 25MPH.
One wreck was a car going so fast that it lost control when the driver realized there was a 4 way stop, sideswiped 3 of the neighbors cars...I mean the entire side of 3 cars...then found a gap in the parked cars before ass ending the last one before the sign...5 totaled in one incident.

I had a friend growing up, who lived in a house on the Main Street in town. This is Suburbia, USA, just outside of NYC. Silent nights, empty streets. They had a Toyota van (pre-Previa), parked on the street. A drunk driver smashed into it one night and totaled it. Knocking on wood, that’s the only one I can personally think of...

Happened to my sister once, about 10 years ago. She had her car parked on the street in front of her house on New Year's Eve. Drunk driver slammed into it from behind and fled the scene. He didn't get far though, as his car was too badly damaged. Totaled my sister's car. 2001 Saturn L200 sedan that had less than 80k miles if I remember correctly.

Yes, 3.

1) Entering her car after an adult education bread baking class, my aunt -the teacher- had the door handle taken from her hand by speeding kids who'd use the high school parking lot as an acceleration leg to gain speed to go down a residential street.
The LR corner of the rear bumper was driven to the base of the rear windshield. A '69 Oldsmobile Delta 88 2 door died that evening.

2) The trunk of the neighbor's '91 Chevy Caprice Classic (first year of the roundy ones) was similarly compacted by 3 distracted (not drunk) HS boys. Deep maroon w/red leather interior and the 5.7.....a super sexy sleeper of a family car....replaced with a '96 (last year) in Driftwood w/cloth and Optispark. It had EVERY OTHER option Chevy offered except leather. The towing package had exterior engine oil and transmission coolers, rear reading lights, large gas tank/battery/alternator/brakes,

3) A distracted/sleeping man 2 blocks from his turn hit the back of my '85 Chrysler LeBaron. The dutiful insurance salesman left his card in the windshield wiper with "$700" scribbled on it.
I copied ALL my receipts and tallied them up and sent them to the insurance company.
I got a check for that amount.
It was cool to get an accident report with only one side filled out.
MORAL of the STORY: Keep records. If it's too much trouble, you're lazy.

Last edited:
My '89 Jetta was hit by a woman letting her 6 year old drive on her lap; very tight inner city street and she spun the wheel quicker than her mother could react. Corner hit, not totaled but a significant amount of damage.

Nice necro bump. But I was on a jury where a drunk driver smashed into a parked car on the street. Right after we got the case, we did a straw vote and we basically felt he was guilty. We could have left after a 1/2 hour but we went over the case so we still came to a guilty verdict after 2 hours. Interestingly after the case, the judge told us the guy was on his 3rd DUI which I guess is why it went to a jury, he was looking at jail time. No mention of that during the trial.

One of my friend has an old car parked on the street totalled by a car rear ended it. It was a major road and the guy probably fell asleep at night driving through it. It was only a rear end damage slightly past the bumper and the trunk is bent, but for a 24 year old car, it is basically total time.

My '89 Jetta was hit by a woman letting her 6 year old drive on her lap; very tight inner city street and she spun the wheel quicker than her mother could react. Corner hit, not totaled but a significant amount of damage.
I wonder what the insurance company thought of that one.

I have a neighbor who absolutely detests my wife and I. The reason basically boils down to the fact that her house was built to close to the property line, she wants to buy some of our property, and we won't sell it for a couple of reasons including planning and zoning restrictions. In the past it's been a few instances of being yelled at and called everything you can imagine, but long story short she's just decided to pretend we don't exist(which is fine).

Funny enough, she does the same to her neighbor on the other side(who I've never talked to) so I'm guessing she probably hates him for the same reason(he also extended his fence out closer to the road shortly after this lady moved in).

My car is parked on the street. More than once, I've been out with the dog and seen her peel out of her driveway and down the street, usually either with her head turned either 90º to her left or her phone right in front of her face just to avoid seeing me. A couple of times I've seen her nearly ram my car from doing this, nearly hit a car coming the opposite direction head-on while intentionally not looking, or nearly swerving into my car while avoiding a car coming the opposite direction that she failed to see until too late(and also heaven forbid anyone make her wait getting out of the neighborhood).

I suspect it's a matter of time before she actually does hit my car if we don't move sometime in the near future. Moving it off the street isn't really an option now, and on-street parking is a common thing on my street. It will be...interesting...if she does but past instances have made me make sure I'm never out of the house without my phone(to take a video if needed) and she has an easy to remember vanity plate. I imagine a Grand Cherokee going 30+ mph into my car would do a decent bit of damage to both of us.

It's only happened once-a few years back we were loaded up to go to Lake Cumberland for a vacation, my '06 Ram (which was still pretty new at the time) in the end of the driveway. Drunk barmaid passed out at the wheel, veered into my neighbor's yard, BLASTED the corner of her house 10 feet from where my truck was parked. I thought something had exploded, ran out the door in my shorts as she struggled to make it move in reverse back towards the street. She managed to get it out of there, moving nice & slow so I could get a good view of her license plate, plus she left her whole front bumper & plate in my neighbor's front yard anyway. Hit my neighbor's poured foundation so hard it cracked it! Car ran just far enough that she could abandon it & avoid the DUI.

Thankfully my street is so short with tight turns and limited vision that it's hard to get up to speed here. But this issue does worry me since I keep a few of mine on the street. For now anyway...

Yep, my Pristine Statesman L67 Caprice was rear ended by a drunk on a motorbike, riding on a suspended licence, and immediately picked up and left the scene by others, while a guy in a red MG rocked up to "make sure that it was by the book".
When the police arrived, oterhs were dragging the bike onto a ute.

Gave statements, they found I had insurance, and the last I heard of it...until I found the article in the paper 6 months later that the guy was 0.13, was already suspended, and got a $300 fine, and 12 month good behaviour, versus my $750 excess (deductible), and the bill being within a few hundred of a write off.

Posted the article to my insurer (Shannons in Oz are marvelous), and they returned my excess (deductible) to chase down the perp, where the Police cared not once they realised that I had insurnce, and the perp was one of their informants

Drunk driver side swiped my wife's Hummer and 6 or 7 others while she worked. He was still rolling for a mile or so when the police got him.

Not me personally, but I have 2 friends whose cars were totaled while parked on the street.
I helped a friend get a new Camry about 10 years ago; the dealer offered him peanuts for his high mileage, smoke smelling interior Camry.
So he parked it on the street and it was totaled one night within days of his new car purchase. He was overjoyed at the insurance payout.

A few years ago my Dad's home care giver's older CR-V was totaled by a drunk driver without insurance, but she had uninsured coverage. She got like $4,500 as I recall.

Yup. Stuff happens.

Back in the late 70;s I had my used 1974 Ford LTD parked in front of our house since I just sealcoated the driveway. I was cooking dinner and heard a crash.

Ran out and saw parts all over the road, but no car. In about 5 minutes a guy came to the door and said that Mr. So and So hit your car and to tell you dad that he will take care of all the damage. We lived near the entrance to a Country Club, and some drunk golfer leaving the 19th hole after way too many, rear end my car with his Lincoln mark IV. I knew due to the grille parts and marker lights he left at the scene.
The guy did pay up. This is back when " men were men" and DWI was very prevalent.

My poor LTD 429 was crushed up to the rear window and totalled.

I had a claim in OK where an insured was DUI (drugs and alcohol) and hit 9 or 10 parked cars on his street. Totaled 2 or 3. Took months to sort out the claim because it was a limits issue and I had to get a statement from my insured, was a nightmare claim. I hated the fact that some of the people only had liability so they were SOL.

Back