Have there ever been any parked vehicles totaled or almost totaled on the street you live on, by speeding drivers?

It's pretty common to see cars that were rear-ended while parked on the busier streets around here. Those streets are mostly flat and straight, so I figure the wrecks are caused by drivers looking at cell phones.

I was out for a run one Saturday morning, in a quiet residential neighborhood with streets wide enough for two lanes of traffic and curbside parking on both sides. Near the top of a small hill were two wrecked BMWs. The one that got hit first had the right front pushed up onto the curb. The offending vehicle must have been running on a flat tire or dragging something major, because I followed a perfect score line in the pavement up the hill and through the next block, where it then turned right toward a stoplight on a bigger street. There was minor damage to a Taurus on that next block, so the driver must have been so wasted they couldn't even stay in the center of a street with the equivalent of two travel lanes.

No. We live in a small city of 22000+ on residential street where the great majority of drivers observe the speed limit. We do have several fools who like to make lots of noise and lay rubber to bolster their who knows what.

I live in a residential sub-division with only 3 entrances/exits one lot from a t-intersection on a back street. Wide street with plenty of room for parked cars and opposing traffic.
1. Son's just purchased Honda Accord totalled in front of the house by a kid in a minivan coming around the corner wide. Accord did a 190 and ended up with 2 wheels up on the curb. Responding officer wanted to know why he parked it there, I had to show him the skid marks from the original location.
2. Old guy hit and run sideswipe of my truck in the same spot. Witnesses got license number and he was caught.
3. My Z28 Camaro hit hard head on in the same place. Not totaled, but almost and effectively ruined. Pushed it into my truck also. Kid (different one) dropped a water bottle and reached down for it while going around the corner.
4. Hit and run driver in the middle of the night hit daughter's Acura in the rear, driving it into wife's Rav4, totalling both. Driver and vehicle escaped.
5. Quit parking there. Repaired Camaro parked in driveway. Dust devil picked up a large piece of a neighbor's porch metal roof 60 yards away and dropped it vertically thru the Camaro windshield.

I wish someone would total every car parked in the ROAD in my neighborhood. Just slam the friggin' things clean up to their front porch. This is so rude, selfish and ignorant. Now I'm talking about people who have PLENTY of driveway and yard space.

When I was in high school I had a Subaru that I decided to sell. Would park it on the front lawn when I wasn't using it. Woke up one morning to a huge dent in the side. Many days later the bank manager (from the bank across the street) happened to be talking to dad and mentioned that one day he went into work and saw a large wheel in the middle of the road. Said wheel was gone the morning of the accident, so whoever lost it must have gone back and gotten it--I don't recall any marks in the road so I think it was off a tractor-trailer.

I was out for a run one Saturday morning, in a quiet residential neighborhood with streets wide enough for two lanes of traffic and curbside parking on both sides. Near the top of a small hill were two wrecked BMWs. The one that got hit first had the right front pushed up onto the curb. The offending vehicle must have been running on a flat tire or dragging something major, because I followed a perfect score line in the pavement up the hill and through the next block, where it then turned right toward a stoplight on a bigger street. There was minor damage to a Taurus on that next block, so the driver must have been so wasted they couldn't even stay in the center of a street with the equivalent of two travel lanes.
One morning on the way to work I noticed a skidmark on the road, starting at an on-ramp. There is a small warehouse with a decent amount of truck traffic on that exit. Wild guess, locked brake on the trailer. Being just one tire mark, I cannot absolutely say it was OTR truck related, perhaps it was not.

Anyhow, I was able to follow the skidmark for the next 10 miles! Including a highway change.

Except where the mark would wander so far off the highway so as to be off in the dirt on the shoulder--mind you, this highway has a breakdown lane that you can safely park on!

My mom's 66 Corvair convertible was knocked about 50' and totalled by a teenager who fell asleep. My dad was overjoyed. It was a mechanical nightmare in spite of it's showroom looks.

Back in the late 90s - I was visiting at my Aunts house on a Saturday nite. We were playing cards late at nite with acouple other friends of hers. Heard this loud bang out front -- looked out and some guy hit my 1991 Toyota Camry in the rear with an old VW Jetta. He was trying to get away but his car was too damaged for him to succeed. Also by that time, I ran out of the house and was right at his drivers side window yelling for him to stop. He ended up getting a DUI and had no car insurance on top of it. My Camry was totaled that nite and he totaled his VW also.
In a case like that if they do not pay for the damage you could get a court judgement against them and place a lien against them for the debt and get the state motor vehicle license department involved so the can not get a license until after they pay the debt.

I have also witnessed wit my own eyes on three separate occasions, vehicles drive right through a home, just narrowly missing the folks inside the house. All were drunk drivers, speeding and losing control.

I had 89 Tempo I used for a work car get hit by Chevy club cab at 2am, knocked it into the neighbors yard. This was in the heat of the summer so I didn't hear it with the A/C on but my neighbor was up and seen the whole thing. He told me the guy got out picked up his front bumper and put it in the back and tried to drive away but his truck wouldn't start. By the time I got out there the cops were there talking with the guy, you could tell he was hammered, the whole time he was leaning on his truck hanging on. The cop let him walk away, next morning I called his insurance company and they told me he wasn't insured, that he didn't make any more payments after the first one. I ended up taking him to court and did get twice as much as it was actually worth but the judge let him make payments to me, $100 a month for 18 months.

We have an intersection that has some really bad dips in it. I seen a car going so fast when it hit that intersection that it rolled over into a couple of parked cars.

In a case like that if they do not pay for the damage you could get a court judgement against them and place a lien against them for the debt and get the state motor vehicle license department involved so the can not get a license until after they pay the debt.
I got his information and personally called him. He got money out of his 401k to pay me the book value of my Camry acouple weeks later. I still would rather have had the Camry then the money and never reported it to the police he had no insurance because he did pay me. I figured he was in enough trouble so as it is.

Happened to my mom's car parked in front of our house back in 2014. A Highlinder came around the corner, we are the second house in, and hit my mom's Grand Marquis so hard it pushed it in front of the neighbor's house hitting one of their cars. In the picture of both cars, the Grand Marquis was parked where the Highlander is. Tore the body off the frame and pushed the quarter panel into the door. IMG_5669.jpgIMG_5664.jpgIMG_5663.jpgIMG_5662.jpgIMG_5661.jpg

Not on the street where I live, but where I work. And it happened to me. In July of 2004, I walked out of my office to find that the venerable '86 Mercedes 420SEL had been struck. Each body panel, and the faces of the wheels, on the street side, were scraped or dented. The car's doors still opened and the car drove normally (the W126 chassis was tough!), but the insurance company had to total it.

Turned out I had a witness who had gotten the license number of the offending car! The insurance company went after the teenager's parents to get back my deductible. They couldn't pay all of it and wangled a payment plan. According to the insurance people, they had not paid anything by the time of Hurricane Katrina, and then couldn't be found afterward.

There are times when I wish I could have bought back the W126 and gotten it repaired; but the cosmetic work would have been pretty pricey even then.

I was sitting in my living room one day when I heard a bang. Looked out the window to see a man driving a large sedan had been rear-ended by a smaller sedan. He immediately went ballistic and did a hard 180 to the left...sideswiped my car in my driveway...crashed through my rail fence...narrowly missed my tree...crashed through my fence again...and rear-ended the car that had hit him. Don't remember all the details, but I got nothing for my car although my fence did get repaired.

I live on a very windy, hilly 2 lane state road that varies from 35-55mph. Scary collisions aren't unusual. There's a road that comes down a steep hill goes over a drastic rail-road hump and ends at a stop sign about 500 feet south of my home. I've done my best to help people who've missed the stop sign and wrapped it around a tree.

Sounds like US-30 ?

I've seen this happen to parked police vehicles, that were hit by speeding cars.
Cop cars don't normally park like a normal civilian vehicle though. They usually turn outwards back into the traffic in an attempt to make vehicles get over. Not really something I agree with especially on busy roads.

Growing up we lived right at the edge of town. About 1/2 mile from the resume to 55 MPH. Our nextdoor neighbor would always park his F150 in the street. He lost a mirror every few months from people going by too fast and misjudging.

I live in a residential sub-division with only 3 entrances/exits one lot from a t-intersection on a back street. Wide street with plenty of room for parked cars and opposing traffic.
1. Son's just purchased Honda Accord totalled in front of the house by a kid in a minivan coming around the corner wide. Accord did a 190 and ended up with 2 wheels up on the curb. Responding officer wanted to know why he parked it there, I had to show him the skid marks from the original location.
2. Old guy hit and run sideswipe of my truck in the same spot. Witnesses got license number and he was caught.
3. My Z28 Camaro hit hard head on in the same place. Not totaled, but almost and effectively ruined. Pushed it into my truck also. Kid (different one) dropped a water bottle and reached down for it while going around the corner.
4. Hit and run driver in the middle of the night hit daughter's Acura in the rear, driving it into wife's Rav4, totalling both. Driver and vehicle escaped.
5. Quit parking there. Repaired Camaro parked in driveway. Dust devil picked up a large piece of a neighbor's porch metal roof 60 yards away and dropped it vertically thru the Camaro windshield.

Sir you just weren't destined to own a camaro.

My 91 Mercury Tracer was totaled by a neighborhood kid that just got a new motorcycle. He was doing wheelies and lost control. He totaled his new bike and ended up in the hospital.

Ironically, the car was for sale with a window sticker for $1500. I got $1500 from the insurance company.

6 or 7 times, one lady hit the same vehicle 2x with a year. 2nd time she blamed my vehicle being too big.
all of them are my neighbors so, I don't rat them out but others did.

Back