Have any of you ever used WD-40 True Multipurpose Grease?

I'm looking at calcium sulfonate greases, but would kind of prefer one without moly since I may have to use it for wheel bearings at some point (one gun). I just heard about this one from WD-40 but don't know anything about it, other than the marketing.

Haven’t used it yet. WD-40 is a hugely popular brand name and the investment company is aggressively growing the brand. I’ll bet they turn-keyed the manufacturing to another company and had the tubes made up. I’ll bet there is nothing wrong with it but it would be interesting to see who supplies the grease. Like oils there are generic suppliers of grease. Nothing wrong with that. I do know that Citgo makes both Mystic and Motomaster for the market in Canada.

I’ll bet they turn-keyed the manufacturing to another company and had the tubes made up.
That's what I was thinking, too. I get that they're in the lubrication business, but grease is kind of outside their wheelhouse a bit. Seeing this tube was kind of like what I imagine seeing a PB Blaster grease tube would be like, you know?

Interesting. People don't use that much grease throughout their lifetimes and you'd think ANY industrial user (manufacturing, garages, equipment maintenance) has their preferred greases in the pipeline.

From reading the data sheet it makes no mention of being rated NLGI GC-LB (or even GC or LB), which would make me wary about using it in automotive wheel bearings. If you plan to use to in wheel bearings it should be rated GC or GC-LB, the data sheet also makes no mention of wheel bearings which points it to being more of an HD equipment or chassis grease.

From reading the data sheet it makes no mention of being rated NLGI GC-LB (or even GC or LB), which would make me wary about using it in automotive wheel bearings. If you plan to use to in wheel bearings it should be rated GC or GC-LB, the data sheet also makes no mention of wheel bearings which points it to being more of an HD equipment or chassis grease.
Yeah, they've changed the name recently, too, to "heavy duty grease". I guess it's too expensive to get the certifications from all the manufacturers.

The base oil vis seems low to be a multipurpose grease but the reported could be more definitive.. Most MPG's have BOV KV40=ISO VG 150 or 220.

If it doesn't have a GC-LB rating, WD40 does not deserve your business. :poop:
A lot of good greases don't have the NLGI GC-LB certification. They are usually marketed as industrial or marine greases however, they can perform well in automotive applications as well. The WD-40 greases seems to fall into this category.

A lot of good greases don't have the NLGI GC-LB certification. They are usually marketed as industrial or marine greases however, they can perform well in automotive applications as well. The WD-40 greases seems to fall into this category.
Why bother? There a lot of GC-LB greases to choose from. Not for me thanks. The company that owns the WD40 brand name does not own a grease plant. They are following an aggressive branding program applying their well know brand name on a whole bunch of products they used to have nothing to do with. It’s all about brand name and unfortunately they dropped the ball on certification.

Last edited:
Why bother? There a lot of GC-LB greases to choose from. Not for me thanks. The company that owns the WD40 brand name does not own a grease plant. They are following an aggressive branding program applying their well know brand name on a whole bunch of products they used to have nothing to do with. It’s all about brand name and unfortunately they dropped the ball on certification.
You're right, there are a lot of GC-LB greases out there. That wasn't really my point. My point is that a grease does not need to be GC-LB to be a good and functional grease. Also, a company doesn't have to have a grease plant to market greases. They can rebrand a wide range of off-the-shelf greases from a 3rd party blender or, better yet, have their own formula or exclusivity with a 3d party blender. There are a number of these blenders around the U.S. Even grease manufacturers with plants use these 3rd party blenders for various reasons.

Good luck with that.
It works perfectly fine. How do you think a US based grease manufacturer that doesn't have a plant in Australia provides price competitive grease to that market? There's a lot that goes into planning this but it is regularly done.

Back