Have a few oils to choose from, except the recommended 10w-30..

I would be a big spender and purchase a quart of 10w30 Mobil or Pennzoil and know I am using the recommended viscosity. Ed
Definitely some logic to this answer only I would suggest a gallon of T5, it will last 7 years if doing annual changes. Wally has it for around $18 which works out to about $2.50 a year.
Its not the ash tray money guys.. It the fact I have oil bottles all over the place.

Its not the ash tray money guys.. It the fact I have oil bottles all over the place.
Toro will go out of their way to deny a claim, I just wouldn't make it easy for them. The only oil you have listed that's in the manual is the SAE30, after the warranty is done use em up.

Will any of the oils you have listed work, of course they will, they only thing you need to do to keep a lawn mower working is make sure it's full of oil, you don't even have to change it.

Really anything you have on hand will work, I have a Troy Bilt pushmower with the gcv160 and mostly run 5w30, I currently have PP in it right now but mostly in my pushmowers I use Delo XLE 10w30 and you used to be able to get it for a great price at Walmart but it's getting a lot harder to find and the cost has increased.

These are a fairly decent motor but they do have their issues, plastic cam gear that's prone to breaking and I believe the valves can get sticky which is more or less why you would want to run a synthetic oil.

Pour the old SAE 30 into a clear container and look for water or contamination or separation. It's not likely but worth inspecting. If it's visually fine, shake it up and use it in the mower. SAE 30 is typically the correct mower viscosity since it's used in the summer time. Use it up, it's good for little else other than a general lubricant.

The other multi-weight are good for vehicles.

Disagree with any energy conserving type 5w30 for an air cooled application unless it's seriously cold. And then what would you be using your lawnmower for anyway.

A 5w30 that was A3/B4, e.g., 3.5 HTHS, is acceptable. But I'm sticking to 10w30 or thicker.

Back