Has Castrol Lost The Playbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was out shopping for a 5 quart jug of Castrol Edge, WITH TITANIUM, for my next oil change, in 5W30 specification. All I could find was 1 quart bottles, for just under $10 per. Edge with Syntec is available, as is some other (older??) plain 1 qt bottle of Edge. As much as I love the stuff, I can't spend $50 bucks on oil, when there are plenty of high quality synthetics for less. I am not really into the super ultra brands like RP and Amsoil, but will note that RP was $0.40 less per quart. Any thoughts? Is this just inventory craziness with the Syntec/Edge brand realignment? Does anyone think Edge with Syntec will support 10,000 mile OCI's?

Where are you shopping, you must live in the city? Castrol is everywhere here and Edge is expensive but under $30 a jug. I don't buy quarts any more unless its part of a special with a filter. Even at Wally 5 quarts of QSUD is over $30 while the jug is $20.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Yes I agree Castrol has "Loss the Playbook".
I'd rate them well behind EOM and Pennzoil/Shell in terms of leading edge products.

Agree. Have always been more focused on marketing than quality. I would never use their products. Never been a fan.

Would Valvoline be up there in so far as leading edge tech? with the maxlife and now the nextgen?

Originally Posted By: someguy
Where are you shopping, you must live in the city? Castrol is everywhere here and Edge is expensive but under $30 a jug. I don't buy quarts any more unless its part of a special with a filter. Even at Wally 5 quarts of QSUD is over $30 while the jug is $20.
I am drawing a distinction between "Edge with Titanium" and "Edge with Syntec." The latter is readily available.

I am shopping in suburban New Jersey.

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Yes I agree Castrol has "Loss the Playbook".
I'd rate them well behind EOM and Pennzoil/Shell in terms of leading edge products.

Agree. Have always been more focused on marketing than quality. I would never use their products. Never been a fan.

Oh my, I was not really going in this direction, as I have already decided on Castrol for this particular vehicle, and have been doing well with it for 30,000 of 160,000 miles, and 10k OCI's. (about to get first UOA).

I personally like the Castrol ads, and like to ask my children if "they are thinking about sludge."

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
I personally like the Castrol ads, and like to ask my children if "they are thinking about sludge."

I don't think anyone is faulting them for their effective marketing, quite the contrary to be honest. That I believe is what buster was alluding to.

They are just more focused on hooking you with the "are you thinking about sludge" instead of providing you with a quality product. If you cared more about the actual product in the bottle that is going in to your car, which I assume you do, then perhaps you should consider a SOPUS or EOM product.

Personally I can't support BP any longer after their gulf fiasco so avoiding Castrol isn't an issue for me. SOPUS gets my cash.

Originally Posted By: biodiesel

I don't think anyone is faulting them for their effective marketing, quite the contrary to be honest. That I believe is what buster was alluding to.

They are just more focused on hooking you with the "are you thinking about sludge" instead of providing you with a quality product. If you cared more about the actual product in the bottle that is going in to your car, which I assume you do, then perhaps you should consider a SOPUS or EOM product.

Personally I can't support BP any longer after their gulf fiasco so avoiding Castrol isn't an issue for me. SOPUS gets my cash.

Well, on the second questions, I do think that Castrol has worked hard to remediate the situation in the Gulf, and that we should continue to drill there with the instability/insanity we have to deal with in many of the oil producing nations.

It is my understanding that Edge with Titanium is a world-class product, and I have had excellent experience with it, apart from my recent complaints about availability. I would agree with your comments as a critcism of Syntec, and now of Edge with Syntec.

I don't think that Mobil advertises much less.

Originally Posted By: Mark72
Would Valvoline be up there in so far as leading edge tech? with the maxlife and now the nextgen?

Originally Posted By: Mark72

I have used MAXLIFE Synthetic and have read plenty of BITOG folks say that is an excellent oil.

The Nextgen oil, which I don't believe is available in a full syn, is also excellent, although many folks have strong (questionable) opinions on whether the recycling implies some negative karma on the product.

Are you suggesting a move to one of these products from Edge w/Titanium?

Originally Posted By: someguy
I am drawing a distinction between "Edge with Titanium" and "Edge with Syntec." The latter is readily available.

I am shopping in suburban New Jersey.

Oh Yeah well Castrol Marketing has been confusing for years. They even have 2 syn blends out. Basically they have a retail product for every price point and advertise the [censored] out of some of them. I have no idea which one is better but some guys will feel better dropping an extra buck or two a quart for Titanium so Castrol will happily take their money.

Lately they have been playing this commercial a lot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD22e70zTgU It tells you absolutely nothing

BP is clearly capable of making good oils and there have been a few good Castrol products over the years. GC 0w30 was one of them. Syntec was always among, if not the most, overpriced psuedo synthetic out there for years. They were charging M1 prices for an oil that was not even close in performance.

If a Castrol product meets a tough specification, you can be assured it's probably a good oil. There is nothing wrong with their oils necessarily, it's just I find them to be more focused on silly marketing claims then producing a world class product.

I was very happy with Edge 0W20 SM and planned on sticking with it. SN came out and IMO they killed it. Once my stash is used up I'll be looking for another 0W20. Wake up Pennzoil lets see PU in 0W20. I'd settle for PP 0W20 but I won't mail order it, no one stocks it.

It's just my opinion, but I've never felt that BP/Castrol made a bad product. But rather for the price point of their products, it seems like there's an equally good product for a couple bucks less. Castrol always seems to be a couple bucks more, and I've never seen anything that indicates it's a better oil.

Though I wish to stress, I'm not saying it's bad, it just always seems to be priced more than it's competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back