Pep Boys has Castrol Edge. What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped by my local Pep Boys today and noticed Castrol Edge mixed in with the Syntec. It was 5w-30 and the bottle said it was new. Cost was $7.99 a quart.
Castrol's website makes no mention of this oil but their international site shows different formulations for different countries around the world except the US.

What is it??
21.gif

Bye the way. They had a Royal Purple oil change deal with 5 qts and a RP oil filter for something crazy like $49. Good luck with that one.

Castrol SLX Pro has come to a few dealerships for warranty service. This is the first I've heard of Edge outside Europe.

Look at http://castrol.co.uk if you want to see the whole Edge line.

I guess it's good news in general. Maybe we will see more/better oils, like SLX I.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the bottle also said they guarantee 15k miles or 1 year oci. Unless of course.. your owner's manual specifies shorter oci or if you use the vehicle for "severe service" which they define by several characteristics common to most peoples' driving habits.

Originally Posted By: Canawler
Oh, I forgot to mention, the bottle also said they guarantee 15k miles or 1 year oci. Unless of course.. your owner's manual specifies shorter oci or if you use the vehicle for "severe service" which they define by several characteristics common to most peoples' driving habits.

Was that the Pep Boys in York? Did they have any GC? I remember reading about some Australian members on here talking about Edge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Did you have a chance to look at the back of the bottle to see where it was made? I'm guessing it's "Made in EU"...

I specifically looked for that as I wondered whether it might be similar to the GC but it said it was made in America.

Originally Posted By: mikered30

Was that the Pep Boys in York? Did they have any GC? I remember reading about some Australian members on here talking about Edge.

Yes, it was the York location and they had several quarts of GC.

Bye the way. They had a Royal Purple oil change deal with 5 qts and a RP oil filter for something crazy like $49. Good luck with that one.

That price is high but PB sells RP for some ungodly price of like $7.99 p/qt anyway so $45 w/ filter isn't bad all things considered FROM THEM! OH, and RP does not make oil filters so it has to be another brand. K&N maybe?

In referrence my post ^^^. I saw you posted this deal in the Promotions and Specials forum as well. I see nothing about RP oil filters on their site nor anywhere online. I have a call in to the head of tech support to see what he says about it. I may be wrong; they could be new.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
In referrence my post ^^^. I saw you posted this deal in the Promotions and Specials forum as well. I see nothing about RP oil filters on their site nor anywhere online. I have a call in to the head of tech support to see what he says about it. I may be wrong; they could be new.

Well, Pepboys has them, so someone is making then. Says Royal Purple on the box. Expensive though.

Don

Here in Indianapolis, I saw Castrol Edge, 5W30 at PB. On the back it said "not for sale outside of North America". In the past that has raised a flag with me.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1311648&Board=6&fpart=all&gonew=1#UNREAD

Thanks.

I just heard from the head of RP Tech support and was told they are new within the past 2 weeks. Not even on their web site yet. The one thing that I found disappointing was his comment that...

"It is a licensed program with Champ Labs offered through PepBoys."

Man, I hope these will not be sold ONLY through PepBoys. I know if they are available through other sources that I can get them at least $2-$5 each cheaper as I can with K&N and M1 filters.

As everyone says they are made by Champ Labs. Everything used to make them is top notch from what I gather. As is the price of course.

Originally Posted By: carl97ss
Here in Indianapolis, I saw Castrol Edge, 5W30 at PB. On the back it said "not for sale outside of North America". In the past that has raised a flag with me.

The companies put that on there because those oils violate the 3,000 mile oil change brainwashing campaign they have going.

Yes there is a Royal Purple oil filter now. Not sure who is making them. Probably one of the big manufacturers like Champion. I think I saw a post on BITOG asking that very question about a month ago.

Go to the filter section for the discussion on RP filters. Apparently it is a Champ, pictures and everything. Pretty filter!!!!

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE
Go to the filter section for the discussion on RP filters. Apparently it is a Champ, pictures and everything. Pretty filter!!!!

The link has already been posted above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back