Has anyone ordered RockAutos "Ultra-Power" filters before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some stuff on RockAuto and saw them avaliable for my truck. Ordered the last 4. I've seen posts on here via Google search of people getting Carquests, Fleetguards, Luberfiners, etc. I figured at 83 cents a piece and no change in shipping from what I actually needed (wiper blades) it would be a fun surprise on what I get. Hopefully I get either two pairs of the same or all four of the same of something oblivious so I can cut one open. Maybe I'll run them, maybe I won't, for
Anyone get anything cool ordering these? On a Ram forum I saw someone get a few Fram Racing filters a few years back.

When ordering Ultra-Power filters, I have always received cheapo Chinese filters, almost identical to the Pronto brand that RA carries, and what part stores carry as their house brand. I think STP now sells a similar Chinese filter. I found them to be a good value for the price, the filters were always well constructed and never showed any oddities when cutting them open after an OCI.

It's basically a grab-bag. Ultra Power is a liquidator based in Sugar Land, TX. Rock Auto seems to be using UP as their house brand.

I used them for a cabin and air filter once and received a very nice charcoal impregnated cabin filter and an air filter that appeared pretty robust.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
for div>

It's not the quality of the filter as much as how often you change it. In the old days of the 3,000 mile oil change it was said you could replace the filter every other oil change. In this case, you could/should maybe replace the filter itself BETWEEN oil changes.

Came in today. 3 CQ Blues, 1 CQ Red. The blues all look good. Will probably be ran. The red has like 70% of its louvers not open? Ah well. Probably wont run that one.

Last edited:
Came in today. 3 CQ Blues, 1 CQ Red. The blues all look good. Will probably be ran. The red has like 70% of its louvers not open? Ah well. Probably wont run that one.

Are they Fram or Purolator made? Hastings/Baldwin is the only one that knows how to make lovers properly.

Originally Posted by atikovi
for div>

It's not the quality of the filter as much as how often you change it. In the old days of the 3,000 mile oil change it was said you could replace the filter every other oil change. In this case, you could/should maybe replace the filter itself BETWEEN oil changes.

What facts is this based on?
They ended up being CQ filters, not too shabby.
I'd have no issue going 5-10k on most any filter RockAuto sells.

This is the Red

20190824_124120.jpg

20190824_124057.jpg

20190824_124104.jpg

They have the Purolator date code. Hard to tell about the louvers on the one that might not be formed well. Need a few more photos.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
They have the Purolator date code. Hard to tell about the louvers on the one that might not be formed well. Need a few more photos.

I'm at work now, I'll take more when I go home after midnight CST. shining a light inside the Blues, you can see media through the louvers. Shining a light inside the reds, no media, just hairline cracks where the louvers are.
21.gif

Are there any mfgs that rate a 100% cellulose media beyond a 5k oci? I personally stock both full synthetic and cellulose (Wix, Beck, Champ Labs, OE M+H, Premium Guard, Ecogard and Fram..all at some point or another)...all purchased from either Amazon or RA when on sale.

Last edited:
I believe the filters I get from Honda are cellulose and they say to run them in my S2000 for 15k miles, which I do. Have put 160k on my S.

Rod

Originally Posted by rrounds
I believe the filters I get from Honda are cellulose and they say to run them in my S2000 for 15k miles, which I do. Have put 160k on my S.

Rod

Then this makes sense. All things being equal like thickness and surface area, cellulose can not hold the same amount of dirt as a syn blend/full synthetic. I'm not knocking cellulose, I use them after all (great ROI). They have great ability to absorb moisture. All I'm saying is you need MORE cellulose media in a can to run it for long distances, compared to a synthetic media. (it has to do with dirt rides on the surface of cellulose v. inside AND on the surface with synthetics). I'm also thinking they've come a long way in making cellulose withstand (by chemical impregnation?) the effects of long drain intervals. We certainly know the filtering efficiency of cellulose has gotten better over the years.

Simply put, you don't need as much media to run that 10k mile oci if it's a syn blend or fully syn media... hence a smaller pkg would work just fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back