Has anyone here used the cheap hydraulic spring compressor from eBay?

Something like this :unsure:

A cheap knockoff of those $900 spring compressors that shops have. I probably won't get that one because there is no room for something like that that I'll only use once or twice, too much money, too much space, too much weight, too much spook

I'm considering Harbor Freight's clamshell single action compressor for $60

Quick struts are awesome, but the only ones worth buying for the Subaru Forester SJ are not available anywhere. KYB quick struts are out of stock everywhere. Only the rear ones need replacement at this time. If I'm not using quick struts, then I'll use Bilstein B6 shocks, since they are available for this car.

Here is a picture of the ebay hydraulic compressor:
s-l1600.jpg

I have this one. So far it’s done the struts on my Suburban and my brother’s Tahoe twice. We install new shocks every 100,000 miles.

I try to diy as much as I can, but anything steering and suspension always go to the shop, those repairs are always reasonably priced and I don't have to mess around with an ebay or HF spring compressor.

That looks like a cheap knock off copy of the OTC 6494. Metal looks thinner. Read the 1 star reviews. A spring compressor isn't something you want to break on you after the first use.

Compressing springs scare me. I would want to have as strong a unit, with good safety design basis.

It’s hard to see if there’s strength in that design. The chain doesn’t give me a warm and fuzzy.

Something like this :unsure:

A cheap knockoff of those $900 spring compressors that shops have. I probably won't get that one because there is no room for something like that that I'll only use once or twice, too much money, too much space, too much weight, too much spook

Quick struts are awesome, but the only ones worth buying for the Subaru Forester SJ are not available anywhere. KYB quick struts are out of stock everywhere. Only the rear ones need replacement at this time. If I'm not using quick struts, then I'll use Bilstein B6 shocks, since they are available for this car.

Here is a picture of the ebay hydraulic compressor:
View attachment 71534
I have one, works just fine and already more than paid for itself. I did use additional ratchet straps for safety.

I have that EXACT unit, have had it for 4-5 years. It works fine.

There were a few I couldn't do (namely Cadillac CTS where the control arm is attached) in which I just used my traditional setup with the 2 clamps you tighten to compress.

Back