Has anyone here owned just American vehicles or foreign vehicles?

I’ve only owned American cars, aside from the 2003 Corolla my wife brought to the marriage and a beater $700 1994 Infiniti Q45 I bought for our nanny for a few months. My 1991 Mercury Tracer Wagon was an “American” car that was built in Mexico and shared a lot of Mazda components. My 2013 Ram has a German ZF transmission. I’m originally from the rust belt and that killed off the two vehicles I junked. Now that I live in a place where properly maintained cars get a chance to wear out, my (wife’s) next new(ish) car will be a Lexus sedan or coupe that ends in “350.” Her Corolla has sold me on Toyotas for daily driver cars. I still love our seven pre-1980 American vehicles, though.

Lives in Sweden and drive a Chevy Silverado that has been great so far. Not a single fault so far. Tahoe 5.7 1998 was also a great car. Suburban 5,3 2002 had the pump rubbing fault so i blow the transfercase exept for that it was great. Also had a couple of Volvos from the 1972 142 and 164 up to the 2006 XC90 they older ones was great up till the first V70 model then the quality dropped and the XC90 was standing due to dangerous rust in the frame for the rear wheels. Also had European Ford and a Japanes Ford Ranger (small pickup) built bu Mazda. VW, Audi, MercedesBenz and BMW where the BMW was the best one of the German cars and VW was e real disaster. Audi and MB had a lot of minor faults that cost me a lot of money so i decided to skip those.

Regarding DD's, historically European with domestic SUV's, with the last few domestics pushing me towards only European for the past 14 years. Looking at the automotive horizon I most likely see only British or German in the future for me, however I do like the current large Jeep offerings; Grand Wagoneer, etc.

1 Chevy
2 Toyotas
1 Volkswagen
4 Hyundais
2 Jeeps
1 Tesla

So 36% American. I don’t care where my cars come from.

Is a Vibe with a Toyota powerplant foreign or domestic? What about a Ford-built Mazda? What about a GM-built Isuzu? A GM with an Isuzu powerplant??

Were 7.3-equipped Fords really Internationals?

And while admittedly all foreign:
Is a BRZ a Subaru or Toyota?

Is a Rodeo an Isuzu or Honda? Is a Passport a Honda or an Isuzu?

Is a rose by any other name still a rose? And why is a raven like a writing desk?

first vehicle was a 1991 Mazda B2200, next was a 1991 GMC Jimmy (biggest POS ever) and then nothing but Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep.

Just my $0.02

Owned a mix. My dad's family has owned nothing but Jeep. My mom's family, nothing but Honda. None have necessarily been better or worse than any other. The only major repair that I ever needed to do was a trans swap on the 05 Impala. My old Jeep ZJ was a tank, but wasn't necessarily reliable either. It always had something that needed fixed, but I also enjoyed it the most. My current Elantra has been my most reliable vehicle by far.

Had a Saturn but otherwise it's been all import. I find they suit me, but as time changes, who knows.

But this relentless push towards CUV/SUV and the abandonment of the sedan... not saying they are the most ideal vehicle shape, but for a daily for just running around in, it has its upsides.

As far as the ones I own, both. I have two Fords, a Volkswagen and a Mazda and a Toyota. My family has 8 cars total a mix of both but those are just the ones I own. I consider all of them mine but the ones I’ve listed are the ones I bought or got given to me. I probably won’t ever buy any of the brands we own again though. Now if I buy a brand new vehicle it would be an import and either Subaru or Mitsubishi. No way I’d buy anything else new unless I got a super good deal on it. All of the brands we own are Jeep, Ford, Toyota, Volkswagen and Mazda.

From December 2007 to February 2023, I owned only Japanese cars from my preferred manufacturer of daily drivers. Now I own an American car and an Italian car. Since the Camaro is ending production early next year and the Giulia will repeat that fate not long after, my next car purchase (whenever that day comes) will be Japanese, once again from the big H.

Over my decades of driving I have owned various American and Japanese cars. I just wonder if anyone here has actually stuck with just American cars or just foreign cars?
Stopped buying Detroit iron in 1970 and bought Euro cars, but in the 80s I switched to japanese and except for one foray into MB in 2012 I remained with them.

It’s hard to say. Is my Canadian-built Chevy an American truck? What about my Nissan built in Mississippi?

I’ve owned two Chevys, both were garbage. I’ve owned seven Toyotas and two Mazdas, all were completely functional and reliable. At least two of the Toyotas were built in Canada. Both the Mazdas were Japanese. I don’t count the Scion because it had almost 150k miles when I bought it. It might not have ever become an oil burner if I had done the maintenance since new.

My preference is for a Japanese-branded car regardless of where it’s made. The corporate attitude about quality and reputation is the thing that makes the difference, and my experience is that the American companies just care about next month’s balance sheet and the consumer can get stuffed.

I spent the latter part of my career studying schools and what made them get better or worse. The single biggest factor in determining the success of the school was the Principal. You could replace every teacher in the building and scores would be unchanged, but when a poor leader was replaced by a good one within a couple of years everything changed. It was a huge bright line in the data. I think every auto plant in the country is capable of building good vehicles, but it’s not the primary goal for all. Compare the relative quality of a Camry built in Georgetown, KY to a Ford F150 built in Louisville as a great example of that. Both companies are drawing from the same pool of workers.

First car: 1974 SAAB Sonett III
Second car: 1988 Toyota Supra
Third car: 2004 Nissan 350Z

I still have (and drive regularly) the Supra and 350Z. I know I'm weird.

Over my decades of driving I have owned various American and Japanese cars. I just wonder if anyone here has actually stuck with just American cars or just foreign cars?
I’ve only owned ford vehicles since I started driving. I’m 49. I have 28 years in at ford. Farther had 32 years when I hired in and grandfather had 38 years when he retired in 1972. Henry Ford would come in and check the assembly line when my grandfather was working. Many fords through those 3 generations.

What's an "American" vehicle ? My wife's Ford Fusion was built in Mexico so I call that a foreign car.... A lot of people won't though.

Our Accord (2), Civic, Odyssey were all built in the US. We just bought a Grand Highlander that's made in Indiana.
An American vehicle is one where the profit goes to the company that is based in America and shared with the American employees who then generally spend that money mostly in America. Honda world headquarters is in Minato city Japan and Toyota world headquarters is in aichi Japan.
Ford is based in Dearborn Michigan.

Domestic or foreign is probably a better way to phrase this. As of others have said many domestic vehicles today have content that comes from other countries outside of the U.S. market. That being said, in order to really categorize this, one has to look where the revenues are going. I have owned many domestic manufactured cars, but in the case with anything Mopar related, those revenues are now going to Stellantis which is a foreign entity and to Fiat before that.

Another thing that is happening to make this swing happen is most all of the domestic manufacturers are no longer offering sedans. Personally that is what I prefer to drive. If I were to buy a new domestic sedan today, I believe the Chevy Malibu, and Dodge Charger are my only choices.......and 2023 is the last model year for both of those. So my next sedan most likely will either be a German or Asian made offer.

Back