Harsh Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Diamante with 155,000 miles and it always felt like the suspension was too stiff in it.

I thought perhaps something was wrong with the dampers and/or bushes so recently added new OEM bushes, new front strut top mounts and the Sachs Turbo dampers all round.

The car feels even stiffer. I had to drop the tire pressures to about 30psi on stock high profile wheels and it still feels stiff.

I've been in cars like mine with lowered springs, low profile tires and the Sachs dampers that had a softer ride.

What could this be?
I just want a soft ride and yet it's so stiff that my interior shakes over bumps.

Springs are stock in it.

A lifelong ride complaint regarding a high mileage 16 MY old Mitsubishi

Try a Mitsubishi forum. Cars that age will be represented in a suspension mods section.

Did you research dampers before you selected those Sachs? Are they hard or soft? I think you want softer dampers.

Any other mods?

Good luck

"Stiff" suspension is springs. My sister bought a used accord and I was riding in the back. She hit a few bumps and I knew someone had changed the springs, it was like riding in an oxcart. My car was the same, when my lowering springs were new the rebound was quite obvious.

I cannot describe bad shocks, but I have done as you have on my old car. Rebuilt the entire front suspension and replaced all four shocks with bilsteins but left the springs and my car would still crash over bumps.

Springs are pricey but will actually make your car feel brand new.

OK, a number of ways to approach this, but likely it is the spring rate. Somewhat longer and softer spring will keep the ride height while offering a better ride. Less effective dampers will help a bit.

To check, disconnect the rear dampers and drive it, noting how the rear reacts to bumps vs the front ... Reconnect and see if it is mostly the rear or the front setting the harsh tone?

BUT, 50% of the ride is in the tires. You can go +1 or +2 on the tires and drop the pressures to 25 PSI and keep the same wear pattern. As long as the tread width is wider than teh actual rim width, you can run reduced tire pressures and have decent wear across the tread. The lower pressure is all you may need to get the ride you want
smile.gif

Amen to the tire comment … my midsize truck did OK on a GY LT and horrible on a Toyo LT … so went to a Firestone P285 and it rides and handles 100% better running 35 psi …
Have aired up the rear twice to tow a load of rock … but don’t need to with the smaller skiff …
The round shoulder tire is excellent in deep sand …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back