Harley Davidson Owners w/100,000 Miles on Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
To each his own. I have yet to find a more comfortable bike for my uses than H-D. There are so many seats, footpeg configurations, custom parts available. BTW I have not had any issues with mine. Just maintenance items.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: Ducman

That being said, it doesn't matter whether a machine is made with fasteners that are metric or imperial. It doesn't define it's potential longevity in terms of engineering robustness. AT ALL.
And absolutely never will.

This could be the dumbest post in the thread. What determines how well engineered a product is are the engineers who design it...it just so happens the best engineered machines use the metric system...

opinions vary...

Originally Posted By: endeavor to persevere

That being said, it doesn't matter whether a machine is made with fasteners that are metric or imperial. It doesn't define it's potential longevity in terms of engineering robustness. AT ALL.

This could be the dumbest post in the thread. What determines how well engineered a product is are the engineers who design it...it just so happens the best engineered machines use the metric system...

opinions vary...

Liquid cooled engines cool more efficiently than do air cooled engines, and they can make more power because of liquid cooling...gear driven clutches are better than chain driven...engines designed specifically for FI are better than those that were originally designed for carbs and were later retro-fitted for FI...overhead cams are superior to pushrod designs...metal cam chain guides are superior to plastic ones...

These are just a few things, and they are not opinions, they are facts!

opinions vary...

Liquid cooled engines cool more efficiently than do air cooled engines, and they can make more power because of liquid cooling...gear driven clutches are better than chain driven...engines designed specifically for FI are better than those that were originally designed for carbs and were later retro-fitted for FI...overhead cams are superior to pushrod designs...metal cam chain guides are superior to plastic ones...

These are just a few things, and they are not opinions, they are facts!

Opinions vary and haters going to hate.

Last edited:

No hating, I just prefer superior designs...and again, these aren't opinions, they're facts...unless you care to explain why they aren't facts...

No hating, I just prefer superior designs...and again, these aren't opinions, they're facts...unless you care to explain why they aren't facts...

Then why don't you buy and ride the superior designs of your choice and let others buy and ride what they like. Running other brands that you will never own down seems really juvenile. Or do you just have insecurity issues?

Why would an engineer care if the fastener is metric or sae? Answer: they wouldn't

Why do you run down someones else bike? No one cares that you like superior designs. My old Honda is a poor designed bike. Hard to work on and a very high maintenance bike. I love the bike!

Then why don't you buy and ride the superior designs of your choice and let others buy and ride what they like. Running other brands that you will never own down seems really juvenile. Or do you just have insecurity issues?

Why do Harley guys always take stated facts as "running down" another's ride? If you don't like the facts, don't shoot someone for simply pointing them out...take it up with Harley...they're the ones making the inferior products...

Originally Posted By: dr2152

Why would an engineer care if the fastener is metric or sae? Answer: they wouldn't

You're right they wouldn't. I was replying to Ducman's statement that whether a bike is metric or not doesn't have anything to do with how well its engineered, but it just so happens metric bikes are the best engineered...it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that they're metric, but rather that they have better engineers...

Why do you run down someones else bike? No one cares that you like superior designs. My old Honda is a poor designed bike. Hard to work on and a very high maintenance bike. I love the bike!

I guarantee your old Honda, regardless of how poor you think the design is, is leaps and bounds a better design than any Harley produced during the same time...

You're right they wouldn't. I was replying to Ducman's statement that whether a bike is metric or not doesn't have anything to do with how well its engineered, but it just so happens metric bikes are the best engineered...it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that they're metric, but rather that they have better engineers...

Now that was a dumb statement. Metric or sae has nothing to do with the engineers abilities.

I guarantee your old Honda, regardless of how poor you think the design is, is leaps and bounds a better design than any Harley produced during the same time...

You tilt the engine to adjust the valves. (4 hours every 2000 miles) You remove the carbs to put a new cable on after you tilt the engine. 6 hours. Charging system is a very poor design. But Honda has charging problems on most of their bikes. Old 82 AMF Harley easy to work on. Oil pump problems but that is an easy fix. Leaks some. You need to spend sometime working on bikes.

Now that was a dumb statement. Metric or sae has nothing to do with the engineers abilities.

Never said it did, in fact, I said just the opposite...you need to learn how to read...

Last edited:
You tilt the engine to adjust the valves. (4 hours every 2000 miles) You remove the carbs to put a new cable on after you tilt the engine. 6 hours. Charging system is a very poor design. But Honda has charging problems on most of their bikes. Old 82 AMF Harley easy to work on. Oil pump problems but that is an easy fix. Leaks some. You need to spend sometime working on bikes.

Don't need to...I do my homework before I buy a bike and I buy one that doesn't need to be worked on...all mine requires is oil and filter changes once in a while, and maybe clean a few filters every now and then...I'd rather ride than turn wrenches any day...

Last edited:

Never said it did, in fact, I said just the opposite...you need to learn how to read...

"but rather that they have better engineers"

I ride a 2012 Honda Shadow Spirit. Liquid cooled, fuel injected. over head cams and puts out a whooping 44 horse power. Not much for a modern 750. But since I'm going to turn 70 in a few days its all I need. I rode harleys in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. I never had any problems out of any of the Harleys I had back then.

They sure do sell a lot of them for them to be so bad...

I believe people who have a need to run down what others ride have issues with them selves. I'm glad for anyone to be out there riding on two wheels and they get my support. We are all in this together.

Last edited:

Don't need to...I do my homework before I buy a bike and I buy one that doesn't need to be worked on...all mine requires is oil and filter changes once in a while, and maybe clean a few filters every now and then...I'd rather ride than turn wrenches any day...

Great for you. 40k 04 Harley Ultra with custom motor. Just tires, breaks, oil changes. 52k on 2010 Harley Limited. Oil change every 5k and rear tire 15-18k may need brakes every other tire. Front tire at 30k with new brakes. Lots of cleaning bugs off. 82 Honda CBX motor is out for carb overhaul.

New bike just had 1k change to get ready for 6,000 three week trip. Maybe a Yamaha RD350 next week is the price is right. It will need some work. But air cooled 2 strokes are easy.

I do my home work too. I don't plan on working on them but I know how. I don't trash talk others bikes or give my opinion about their bike.

"but rather that they have better engineers"

Exactly...has nothing to do with using the metric system or not...

Great for you. 40k 04 Harley Ultra with custom motor. Just tires, breaks, oil changes. 52k on 2010 Harley Limited. Oil change every 5k and rear tire 15-18k may need brakes every other tire. Front tire at 30k with new brakes. Lots of cleaning bugs off. 82 Honda CBX motor is out for carb overhaul.

New bike just had 1k change to get ready for 6,000 three week trip. Maybe a Yamaha RD350 next week is the price is right. It will need some work. But air cooled 2 strokes are easy.

I do my home work too. I don't plan on working on them but I know how. I don't trash talk others bikes or give my opinion about their bike.

Harleys are the best made bikes in the world...there, is that better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back