hardshifting ford e4od

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1990 Ford e4od trans that shifts hard at op temp only btwn 2to3 and 3 to 4 gear. When cold all gears shift smooth. Trans has been serviced with Maxlife (complete flush). Any ideas?

I can give you a few things to look at that may help. As funny as it sounds check you spark plug wires. It you have a loose one on a plug or worn wires with the way the e40d works it will shift and lurch very rough. Second you have some sensors on this tranny that tend to die with age. There is a shifter sensor on your gear selector, a speed sensor that is on top of the rear differential, and another sensor around the tranny. These are common issues with hard shifting. I would really advise you to look at your plug wires first and then go from there. I had a 94 351 with the e40d and found that a plug wire that was on the plug but not completely snug on the plug caused the issue. Also I think a ARX treatment will help.

Last edited:
Forgot to add these are very fluid sensitive transmissions. I would not go with a synthetic or a high mileage transmission fluid. My best results were with Carquest Dex-Merc fluid made by Ashland.

It only does this when hot. No other times. Wouldn't a wire problem do it all the time

These transmissions are very sensitive. The motor may run fine with a slight glitch in a plug wire but will play havoc with shifting. I experienced the same issue you are explaining and am only trying to help. I am not saying Maxlife is not good. Older Mercon not Mercon V spec fluids seemed to work better in this tranny. This tranny relies on a bunch of things to make it shift the transmission at intervals to achieve the best fuel economy and shift quality. You can save a bunch of dollars by looking at the plugs and wires first then move on. Your choice.

Originally Posted By: liberty
It only does this when hot. No other times. Wouldn't a wire problem do it all the time

Not necessarily in regard to the OP's situation, but the fuel enrichment process will mask weak ignition to some degree in warmer weather. OBDII cars are probably less forgiving.

This truck is obd one. New plugs and wires about 10k ago. Would a partially disconnected egr from one exhaust manifold cause this. What about the coolant that circulates throught the intake manifold. That also has been disconnected (nipple broke from rad)

Last edited:
I was just about to ask a similar question when I found this thread with a search. I have a 1995 E4OD in a motorhome that shifts very very hard at all temps. Started about 400 miles ago. Have had the same Amsoil synthetic trans oil in it for about 15,000 miles. Fluid looks perfect, also have a external trans filter. I have noticed since the problem started that trans temperature runs about 20 degrees over what it used to. Would berrymans cleaner help?

A 1996 will be an OBDII chassis, the DLC should be to the right of the steering column at the bottom of the dash. Most commonly mounted just at the right edge of the trans tunnel just to the left of the passenger foot well.

The E4OD's are not really fluid sensitive. With a trans in good shape you can run just about any current spec ATF in them with good results although they are spec'd for the now obsolete Mercon fluid.

There are differences between the gas and diesel E4OD as to the cause of hard shifting. But if all else is working properly I would pull the accumulator valve body out and inspect the spools. Make sure the DRS and speed sensors are in good shape before opening up the trans.

What is the DRS? My 1990 e4od spec Dexron III in the manual

Last edited:
Digital Range Sensor, it's the black box on the left side of the transmission that the shift cable hooks to and it tells the PCM what gear you have selected.

Dexron is a GM ATF, not Ford (although when the fluid was current you would normally find Dexron/Mercon dual usages). The E4OD's all required Mercon, which if a Ford ATF. Mercon is no longer licensed by Ford and only Mercon V is available. However you can still get Mercon spec'd fluid but it'll say something like for older transmissions.

You can use MerconV if you want so long as the transmission is in good shape. MerconV is more heavily friction modified than Mercon.

Last edited:
I know some reccomended electrical components which I will check. What about the valve body? Could this caused the shifting hard when hot?

It could still be ODB1 even though it is a 1996; some of the trucks didn't change over until 1997. Look for a black connector under the engine cover on the drivers side. You will need either a ford odb1 reader or follow the instructions on fordfuelinjection.com. Is the OD light on the shifter stalk flashing?

Not on Ford. In fact Ford was required to retrofit many of the Pre-96 diesel powered trucks to OBDII compatability. I had to take about 30 of our 95 7.3 PowerStroke chassis back for the upgrade. All gas powered 96+ Ford Chassis that I have ever seen come through the shop are all OBDII.

At any rate, there will be a sticker on the rad support under the hood indicating whether it's OBDII or not.

The accumulator valve body is the primary hydraulic control of the shift event itself. So if there is a spool that is sticking or the line mod valve is hung up it can certainly cause a hard shift event.

Really you need to figure out if it's OBDI or II and then get a scanner on it and find out what code you got from the flashing light and then go from there.

Calvin 1 is right! Incomplete vehicle manufacture is 11/95 and it is an OBD 1, connector was exactly where he said. Code 625 Elect Pressure Control, EPC Driver, Open in PCM.

I started a seperate thread on this titled "another hard shifting E4OD (always)"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back