Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Originally Posted By: Warstud
No thanks....I'll stick with NuFinish since it's cheaper and lasts longer.

If you've found a product that you like then that's wonderful, but NuFinish is a very outdated product as this point, and the modern synthetic waxes (sealants) are top notch in terms of gloss and durability while also being easier to remove than ever before.

If it is so out-dated then why does it out last nearly all other products on the market?

Originally Posted By: grampi

It doesn't last that long...

Still posting false [censored] I see...*****!

Thanks for sharing the classic Chevy pic! That's one of my all-time favorite cars.

While most folks know that photos rarely do justice to the real vehicle look, the DuraGloss product photo appears equal to what I get from Meguiar's ...and seemingly mine is accomplish with less time and effort. But using a pro detailer eliminates that difference (for a cost of course).

The incredible ease/speed of application, smooth surface, and solid shine/protection from the Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid polymer product also features durable and longer-lasting paint protection - separating it from other "just make it shiny" wax products. While it's low on my priority list...the cost of Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid is also very price-competitive and less than many of the "exotic product" waxes.

One note: Regardless of whatever product anyone uses...preparing the paint prior to applying a sealant or other wax product is critical. The important wash-clay bar-polish and/or glaze process BEFORE any sealant/wax is applied is what gets the professional car-show results. That's a 2-3 hour, 2-3 times/year process. Most folks don't want to spend the time to do things the right way, so they just slap on various wax products, so they just slap on some kind of wax product and think they're done.

At a nearby local recent car show...I talked to 9 of the 35+ owners of expensive/exotic cars (averaging $575K)...and while several of them use pro detailers...2 said they like self-detailing and use Meguiar's on their cars to get their great car show finish on them (one said "don't tell anyone I get my Ferrari detailed by Target"). Another owner used a Mother's carnauba wax product, followed by a spray shine wax on top.

Several of the owners said "the secret to a perfect car show look" is that no matter what wax/sealant product is used...a final spray shine wax on top removes surface fingerprints, dust, and other things that detract from the final "pop" shine. I've used either Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer or else Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 Optical Select High Gloss Spray Sealant and Quick Detailer on top of the Ultimate Liquid - depending on what I have available at the time. BOTH PRODUCTS feature UV protection.

I literally have people stop me in parking lots and other places to ask "how the heck did you get your SUV to look so bright and shiny?" - including the owner of a nearby hand wash who says he hasn't seen any vehicle with a better exterior finish - he now uses it himself.

Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid is also on my wife's 2013 Honda Accord...bringing it a quality protection level and look as well. As the original poster said...it's really hard to beat the results.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I couldn’t help but drool looking at that old Chevy. Great color.

Love detailing classic cars and it's about all I do now, and duragloss is cheap, very easy to use, and lasts a long, long time.

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
Originally Posted By: PimTac
I couldn’t help but drool looking at that old Chevy. Great color.

Love detailing classic cars and it's about all I do now, and duragloss is cheap, very easy to use, and lasts a long, long time.

Showing off such a fine car is nice, no matter what product is used on it. It deserves to be well-kept. The 40's - 70's cars often included many of the true design and style classics of all time.

Today, telling apart many of the cars, SUV's, and trucks by style alone gets to be quite the challenge...Audi even made a parody commercial talking about "being inconspicuous".

Here is a newer car done by FastEddie after a wash, clay and DG #601. Nice to see photobucket restoring their pictures for now.

NICE!!!

I can only imagine how nicer that Black Seagull could look with a fresh Meguiar's detail job on it.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001
I can only imagine how nicer that Black Seagull could look with a fresh Meguiar's detail job on it.
grin.gif

3M bought Megs 10 years ago.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.

It doesn't last that long...

Still posting false [censored] I see...*****!

Unless you have scientific proof NF lasts longer than most of the others, then you're just posting blather...

I tend to agree with the OP that finding a better "off the shelf" product would be tough. However, there are better products that can be purchased online such as Collonite, Duragloss, Zaino, and Klasse, just to name a few. I guess I don't understand the distinction between off the shelf products and those purchased online. It's like some people have a phobia about purchasing car care products online. What difference does it make where you can or can't purchase it? That doesn't even factor into my decision of what products I buy...

I tend to agree with the OP that finding a better "off the shelf" product would be tough. However, there are better products that can be purchased online such as Collonite, Duragloss, Zaino, and Klasse, just to name a few. I guess I don't understand the distinction between off the shelf products and those purchased online. It's like some people have a phobia about purchasing car care products online. What difference does it make where you can or can't purchase it? That doesn't even factor into my decision of what products I buy...

1) Agree. Many of the nice folks posting here on this site have literally tried numerous products - and plenty of them have found Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid the best...based upon the criteria of visual results, ease of application, lack of negative effects like leftover dust or residue problems on trim, and protection
durability. Availability and cost of various products may or may not play a role. Those criteria will vary, depending on who you speak with. In many cases today...people who post on special topic websites don't really represent the mainstream market...we represent enthusiasts and folks with individual passions for detailing. That's not to say the information is all right or all wrong. There are probably some valid reasons why a company started in 1901 still retains about a 24% market share for care car products, even after Barry Meguiar sold the company to 3M about 10 years ago.

2) While I'm sure there could be "better" products, I have yet to see any definitive evidence other than opinion, anecdotal tales, 2nd or 3rd hand testimony, or purely subjective observations. Even various online "comparisons" feature those same "better" criteria. It comes down to perception and observation more than anything else. Personal experience-based recommendations from people you trust tends to be the most accepted means to evaluate all sorts of things. With detailing product technology always advancing..today's "best" can quickly become "tomorrow's also-ran".

3) I suspect that the real "issues" with buying off the shelf or online products are: a) if you run out during a vehicle detailing task, you're out of luck with the online products; b) there is a general apprehension by many people of buying sight-unseen or untried products online, although the residence is shrinking in recent times; and c) when someone expands their choice to online...there is a vast universe of options, actually making a buying decision all the more of a challenge. Plenty of folks buy detailing products based on other factors, and don't even bother to consider online information.

Brands like Meguiar’s, Mothers, Turtle Wax etc are and have been the mainstays of car care in the US for generations. Every region has their own favorite brand as well. The internet has opened our eyes to other brands out there. Plus, new brands or older local regional brands are going nationwide or global. Chemical Guys is one such brand.

The markets vary in certain aspects. A owner of a high end German or Japanese car will pass over Turtle Wax in favor of Polish Angel or Kamikaze. Some of these brands have a almost cult like following. That said, the results from using these products are amazing.

In the end, budget and accessibility plus prior experience will be the primary reasons for purchasing. Nobody wants to buy a bottle of sealant and get stuck with it after being disappointed.

Besides the big names mentioned above, if you want to try something new, check out the Autogeek/Autopia forums. A lot of good info there as well as real world experiences with products by all sorts of users from weekend warriors to pro detailers.

Originally Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001

NICE!!!

grin.gif

That would be a downgrade from how it looks now.
cool.gif

Hi Fast Eddie,
The gull wing is fine indeed. I don't know much about Durogloss. Do you use wax over their bonding agent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back