Hard time selling my vehicle.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here is my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

First of all, my impression is you are trying to hide something. That's what went through my mind. And "my" mind has been known to be convoluted.
You need to fix your photos.

Pic #1 and #4 Need shine on the tires and rubber strip

Pic #2, #3, #15 and #22 are too dark. Can't see anything? What are you trying to hide in the dark?

Pic #8 and #9 Are you trying to show me damage as the pics are too dark to see anything

Pic #10 and #11 Look at that rust. Must delete

Pic #13 What is leaking all that oil? Must delete

Pic #21 The tire tread looks like the tires are super old and dry rotting.

Delete "Rust Free" from add as we can see that is not true. The rust may not be bad but it is not rust free.

Remove the wording where you replaced heater core. For me that tells me the cooling system has been neglected.
And that is a negative to most people in the know.

Get the sun at your back. Take pics of the front and rear. Take pic of engine bay. More pics of the dash and interior.
Get a pic of the sunroof open. No mention of any service records.

You may be the most honest and trustworthy man around but when I see what you left out of the pics, I get a bad vibe. I wouldn't
come to look at it. From reading the ad it appears you got a great deal on it and did some basic maintenance and are flipping it.
Your present ad doesn't draw me. I don't know about the pricing. I'd get it on Facebook Market place. "Nobody" uses Craigs list
anymore. Trust me on FB Marketplace.

In conclusion, I am giving my advice on how to sell your jeep. Morally, you have to decide what you think is fair and right.

Oh, and pull it off all ads for at least a week and then put it back up for sale.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by glock19
Originally Posted by krismoriah72
4) Insert 'tags' at the bottom of your listing. Ford, Chevrolet, Honda, Toyota, Diesel, Hybrid, Truck, Harley you will get more eyes on your prize.

Please don't do this. It just makes search results unreliable and full of a bunch of BS.

Yes people who do that should be keelhauled... when i find one like that I strike it from the list even if looks perfect because it just means the seller isn't straight...

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Fordiesel69
-You guys sure the nasty bumper cover is worth doing a photo on? It looks horrific the way the filller cracked.

So you'd rather waste people's time to come out and see the vehicle, only to find that out upon arrival? If that messed up bumper doesn't turn them away, then the thought of you possibly hiding other such 'surprises' surely will.

If you don't want to take a photo of it, then at least you should describe the extent of the damage, but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, and you already have a lot of words in that ad.

Was going to say, that is a turnoff off for me, Id walk away. Speaks to Mickey mouse repairs. . I'd try to get one ( used cover) from the bone yard.

But Liberty is the problem.They didn't sell well NEW near then end of their run. But, the gas crises hit when they were trying to move many of them and they were piggy.

Don't they have A-T failure issues too IIRC.

Fordiesel69

Hey I just looked at the ad, vehicle looks good!

Really.

Gebo is tbeing WAY to harsh, I didn't see any rust.

I saw some rod tar thrown onto the rockers.

Surface rust on the underbody is normal in snow states
I dodnt see anything crusty.

If you lived nearby, Id come by and check it out.

I'm a sucker for Green and tan!

Only criticism is:

missing photo(s) or rear straight on, underhood, and front straight on.

good luck, - Ken

I do have to give you Serious credit on the underside rust. Is it a real Pennsylvania car or did you pick it up in the south. It reminds me of what my beater GMC looks like after one of its underside oiling with ATF,Vaseline and chainsaw bar oil.

Too bad it's not one of those wranglers that people like to fix up customize and turn into rock crawlers. Those sell easily. Unfortunately that old axiom is true now as always. If no ones coming then it is priced too high.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Originally Posted by glock19
Originally Posted by krismoriah72
4) Insert 'tags' at the bottom of your listing. Ford, Chevrolet, Honda, Toyota, Diesel, Hybrid, Truck, Harley you will get more eyes on your prize.

Please don't do this. It just makes search results unreliable and full of a bunch of BS.

Yes people who do that should be keelhauled... when i find one like that I strike it from the list even if looks perfect because it just means the seller isn't straight...

Ditto. It's annoying and it defeats the purpose of search. Fine, if you have one of those Chevy Prizm's which is actually a Toyota Corolla, then sure, "tag" it as a Corolla. The rest of the time... it just says "shady dealer".

Originally Posted by atikovi
If you want to see how to take a photo shoot of a Jeep, http://www.fototime.com/inv/D9C699A86CCAC36 (Not an ad, I already sold it a few months ago.) And yes, RTV on the pan and diff covers.

Too many angles and nothing special except the oil leaking underneath from a bad RTV job.

Looking over the ad, it screams "dealer" to me. Even though it's actually pretty decent, shows everything, seems like a good walk-around. I'll rate it as a decent ad. All the important info is listed, photos are good.

I might skip out on mentioning 4AT, that hasn't been a selling point for how many decades now?
lol.gif
Or if you want, just mention that it automatically changes gears so you don't have to shift gears manually.

knowing what i know about these things i would be hard pressed to buy one unless scrap value cheap.
and thats only because i know of 3 in my neighborhood.and can fix most of their ills.
150k is where the constant headaches are found.
of the 3 i know of i have had my hands on most of the electronics in them.
tipm,pcm.cluster,ect.
fixed tipm in one last week and owner happy till on the way back from a long trip.
getting louder with each passing mile and vibrating at certain speeds.
she got home and i took it around the block to find the driveshaft ready to fall out.
joints totally disintegrated.
this makes 3rd time in 160k.
and i thought neons and derivatives(pt looser) were shoddy!

Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by atikovi
If you want to see how to take a photo shoot of a Jeep, http://www.fototime.com/inv/D9C699A86CCAC36 (Not an ad, I already sold it a few months ago.) And yes, RTV on the pan and diff covers.

Too many angles and nothing special except the oil leaking underneath from a bad RTV job.

Yea, I guess you're right. I coulda made more than the $5,000+ profit I did if I took LESS detailed pictures and used hard gaskets.

This thread is stupendous.

Remember the "...half as long." scene in the movie, "A River Runs Through It"?

There's a park and a river (separate locations) near me where I've always taken pics for car ads. In fact, I bring 'em to the river during the test drive.
Geese and ducks gliding by calm people down.

I'd condense the car's features too; perhaps in a 2 line paragraph. Head it with, "Factory features:" and start with the sunroof. Most will skip reading it anyway. The way you list them it looks like,, "Joe SuperTech trying to look like he's doing me a favor"

Is the engine presentable? ALWAYS clean a battery and any yellow fluid caps before taking pics.

You make note of transfer case fluid being changed but not the transmission fluid. With no receipts how do you know? Did you change it yourself and not do the transmission fluid? That whole thing stinks from afar.

One poster preferred, "...strong". I agree and I also like the words "smooth on the highway". "Matching tires" is also a good phrase if truthful.

How much John Q. Ad Reader and his spouse knows about cars is always an unknown.
Many do know about cabin air filters. The kid who bought my late sister's car lit up when I mentioned I had just changed the CAF...who knew?

Also, as I read your initial post, I thought 4 For Sale signs is a little circus; perhaps even a little blinding.
I've always used 2 when I'm parked in my high traffic spots.
I also believe in "aggressive parking" at stores. Malls generate calls too but use the "Old Navy" end of the mall, not the "Nordstrom/Nieman Marcus" side.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Fordiesel69

- Ken

Since my family is all home today, looking at the ad by my wife, son, daughter and son's girlfriend generated this input. My point is me and you see things one way but
the general public may see it differently. My wife asked us if the tires were rotten. They all 4 pointed out the "rust" spots and the "oil leak" in #13.

This is what "normal" people see. Arco, you and I
thumbsup2.gif

Think about it. My family is so strange as to be sitting at kitchen table critiquing someone's Jeep ad on bitog for fun. Really, get that image in your mind. Ha!

Last edited:
Oh, around here, where we live, we just carry our cars to the local Walmart parking lot and park them near the top with "For Sale" signs in them. Actually, people get great results.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Fordiesel69

- Ken

Since my family is all home today, looking at the ad by my wife, son, daughter and son's girlfriend generated this input. My point is me and you see things one way but
the general public may see it differently. My wife asked us if the tires were rotten. They all 4 pointed out the "rust" spots and the "oil leak" in #13.

This is what "normal" people see. Arco, you and I
thumbsup2.gif

Think about it. My family is so strange as to be sitting at kitchen table critiquing someone's Jeep ad on bitog for fun. Really, get that image in your mind. Ha!

This is excellent actually!!. I will work on the photos and agree after you pointed that out. In Erie, PA, beleive it or not, new dodge rams pickups have more rust than this. Not even joking.......

As for the oil leaking.....that is the water from the fresh drive thru car warsh, moments before the photos.

Last edited:
If you want, just PM me with the new ad and I'll have another PowWow and give you another opinion.
34.gif

Last edited:
I have found KBB prices on older vehicles quite high relative to what they will go for in a private transaction.

If it was listed for $100 it would sell before the day is out. The market price is somewhere between $100 and the listed price that wasn't getting any offers. Keep dropping the listing price until you start getting offers.

It looks like there are cigarette burns in the seats. Did someone smoke in this Jeep? If so, that is going to be a huge turn off for a lot of potential buyers.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
I have found KBB prices on older vehicles quite high relative to what they will go for in a private transaction.

If it was listed for $100 it would sell before the day is out.

And some dipsh** would still offer $50.

One more option - go to carmax and see what they will offer. It will not be a top dollar offer buy hey, what if they say something you can agree on and get a check the same day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back