Hard Driver oil filter question(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Years ago, before they were discontinued, I used Hard Driver oil filters.

On one order they sent me a case of HD08s instead of the HD06s I ordered. When notified, they shipped the right ones but never asked for the HD08s back. My memory may be fuzzy but the Amsoil filters may have started out as rebranded Hard Drivers.

These HD08s are labeled as alternatives for Fram PH3429, Wix 51045, AC PF45 or Motorcraft PL331. I think these were common for 70-80s GM vehicle.

I have several vehicle and I know none of those filters were specified for my vehicles but I also know that the usual sources for fitment generally only include the filters closest in outside dimensions when often a longer, shorter or different case diameter filter could be substituted if you could compare some of the detailed specs.

Does anyone know of a database somewhere that lists the thread sizes and gasket sizes of various oil filters? I'd like to look up the specs for filters in the owners manual and see if any of those match the specs for these HDs or to find possible alternatives in general. For example, in the past, I've found that there were longer filters that could be used on certain vehicles I owned but I only found out because individuals did the research and shared it.

Are there other specs for a filter other than threads and gaskets that are critical for a specific engine? If so, I hope the database that I hope exists includes those also.

Lastly if I can't use these HD08s whats the best way to find a good home for them? They were very expensive synthetic filters so I would hate to just toss them.

TIA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HoosierDaddy
Are there other specs for a filter other than threads and gaskets that are critical for a specific engine?
Bypass valve setting can be an issue on some makes, notably Subaru.

I heard Hard Driver filters were supposed to be good in their day. Anyone know who made them?

I recall the brand as being connected to Peak Antifreeze. For some unknown reason they were on the market for a relatively short period of time, if I recall correctly.

Originally Posted By: HoosierDaddy
Hi,

Years ago, before they were discontinued, I used Hard Driver oil filters.

I'm currently looking at a Napa filter book, dated 2001.
It lists all of the Hard Driver oil filters and there are only a total of 13 different numbers listed, all of them crossing over to the big movers that were popular in the 70s and 80s. Just a company that would buy oil filters that were relabeled. I don't know who made them.

I have a couple of the Delco PF52 equivalent Hard Driver filters sitting on a shelf in my garage. I still have a 98 chevy truck that takes that size filter but I've never really thought about using the HD filters

I do remember having an issue when trying to use this filter on the 1993 S-10 4x4 with the 4.3L that I had at the time. It used the remote oil filter adapter the the HD filter did not fit on this adapter correctly and leaked oil all over the place. I quit using these filters after that and is why I have two sitting on the shelf.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back