Harbor Freight Dual Action Polisher and products..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking into purchasing this polisher to detail my Accord. It seems to have decent review online, what do you guys think? Also how many pads do I need to buy, and what type? I want to polish out swirls on my SINGLE STAGE paint. They have orange, blue, and black pads. Not sure how aggressive I should go...and how many of each pad I need to buy. Also, I have never used a dual action, or any polisher before...so any tips would be appreciated. I have Meguiars Ultimate Polish, and NuFinish Liquid, would these be enough to cut through swirl marks with a DA polisher? TIA! Ill be going to purchase tomorrow if you guys think this product is worth it.

plenty of help online. The HF DA is good.
their pads and such are not so good.

As a pleased owner of a Flex, I wouldn't hesitate to get the HF. It's not a precision instrument after all. Its also a little clunky and awkward to hold. So what? Beats doing it by hand.

If I were going to do some serious grinding I guess I would break down and get a fancy pad. There should be a low cost alternative. There just isn't.

I just bought the HF DA polisher. I have no reference point, it's my first one so I can't tell if it's better or worse than any other. It's good enough for my cars. I bought the Chicago polish pad set. No idea about them or about the velcro or how it's all supposed to work. I just used the lambswool pad and some Turtle wax and the car came out pretty good.

I'm not sure if the Megs UP is really aggressive enough for removing swirls. You could head over the meguiarsonline and see what they are saying.

Good links provided above.

I run the HF DA and find it to be a nice little kit for the money. To be honest I am shocked by the price difference between the HF and the next one out there. Do the recommended mods, regrease the head as the stock grease SUCKS, and turn the body so the on switch is on top.

Buy as many pads as you want, you will probably want more. I found two pads (of a color) was ok and easily allowed me to do one panel a night. After the panel I would clean the pads and come back to them the next day.

I run hexlogic pads and they are fine, but would probably go with buff and shine or lack country next time.

Good towels really help as well, I STRONGLY recommend the rag company.

Any polish is going to have a hard time on swirls. Meguirs Ultimate Compound is decent for over the counter.

Keep in mind the aggresiveness is determied by the pad as well as the product. So make sure you match them up.
Then there's the technique. To remove swirls make sure the pad is actually spinning ( make a mark on the backing plate). Adjust your pressure accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back