Harbor Freight 3050W/3500W Genset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Errtt
Humm... seems to me there is a Tractor Supply about a hour and a half from here. Might have to look around.

I hear also the first thing to do is change the plug for a quality one, like NGK

Harbor freight used to list the decibel rating of their generators. I remember comparing the 5.5 and 7hp models. And if I remember correctly the 5.5hp model was about 25 decibels lowers than the 7hp.

The quietest is their little 2 stroke generator. Man I was impressed. I can comfortably hold a conversation standing next to it. I was expecting it to be like running a chainsaw wide open.

I have been noticing lately tractor supply and cabela's have been listing champion brand 7hp models on sale for about $280. which is what I paid for my HF 5.5hp.

Makes me wish I would have waited.

^^^ That little 2-stroke must be getting popular, I saw 3 different customers get one while I was there looking at the larger models, and one customers was thinking of getting two.

^^^ Yeah the mufflers, I would have thought they would look alike but maybe a little larger on the 7 HP if anything. They were so different. The dB ratings on them would have been nice.

I'll have to ponder a bit on these generators, and although I liked the 5.5 muffler, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward the 7 HP because of startup loads, or now the Champion generators seem to have some decent reviews. Then again, although I was looking for first need for a spring project, it would be nice ahead of time to get something, do a break-in & some testing before hand instead of maybe have problems when I need it the most.

^^^ That little 2-stroke must be getting popular, I saw 3 different customers get one while I was there looking at the larger models, and one customers was thinking of getting two.

^^^ Yeah the mufflers, I would have thought they would look alike but maybe a little larger on the 7 HP if anything. They were so different. The dB ratings on them would have been nice.

I'll have to ponder a bit on these generators, and although I liked the 5.5 muffler, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward the 7 HP because of startup loads, or now the Champion generators seem to have some decent reviews. Then again, although I was looking for first need for a spring project, it would be nice ahead of time to get something, do a break-in & some testing before hand instead of maybe have problems when I need it the most.

I would have to say I use my little 2 stroke more than my bigger one. Its light so it's not a hassle to move. I use it when I normally would have to string an extension cord. Like charging batteries on cars/equipment and running shop lights.

+1 about the champion generators. I think it is because a few major retailers are starting to carry them. If I had to bet I would say its a HF generator painted a different color.

Originally Posted By: engineerscott
BTW, no matter what you get I would recommend changing out the Chinese made plug for the recommended NGK plug. The one consistent weakness I hear about the Chonda motors is the cheap no name plugs they install at the factory.

Or at least have a name brand replacement plug on hand because the Chinese bubble gum plugs either work or they don't.

The other thing is don't run the Chinese bottle of oil too long. A few minutes to an hour of break-in, that's about it.

A third Chinese OPE recommendation is have a bottle of blue Loctite on hand for what ever fasteners loosen up and/or fall off. Once you get everything secure, they're good to go.

Joel

Last edited:
^^^ I don't think I would use the bottle of Chinese oil, for anything. I would use a known quality oil.

chonda is coming! its closer than you know! check the new briggs "series" engines, their blocks arent smooth and theyre painted, do your homework

^^^ I don't think I would use the bottle of Chinese oil, for anything. I would use a known quality oil.

I agree. I'd get myself a good dino oil (maybe Pennzoil YB 10W30 or similar, or a straight SAE 30W if that's your persuasion) to break it in. While I have been pleasantly surprised by some of the Chonda engines, some things are too much of an unknown quantity and too cheap to bypass, like the oil and the sparkplug.

BTW, got an acquaintance that is into Karting and those guys are buying the blue Harbor Freight 196cc/6.5Hp Lifan engines to run on their karts. They abuse the heck out of them, bypass the governor and the low oil cutoff, tune them for max HP (at least as much as their rules will allow) then run the hound out of them. He's had one blue HF engine run for two seasons now and says that they get similar lifespans out of the Lifans compared to the name brand engines once they get past the initial break in period. He did suggest as above getting blue loctite and checking the fasteners and replacing the Chinese sparkplug with an NGK.

^^^ I agree, besides the oil, a new spark plug - NGK, and I'd probably like the Iridium NKG at that.

The Chonda probably wouldn't know how to act with a good USA sold synthetic (dino for break-in) and a NGK Iridium - lol

The Chonda probably wouldn't know how to act with a good USA sold synthetic (dino for break-in) and a NGK Iridium - lol

lol

my 5.5hp 2200w has about 85 hours on it now with the original sprak plug. But I do have a NGK at the ready.

Also about 60 hours on its fill on Rotella T5! I plan on doing I UOA at a 100hrs for the heck of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back