Happy with DIY bypass results

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted some stuff a while back about a DIY bypass kit I was putting on my Nissan Elgrand overseas. Well I did do a change in filters and went with the LF9028 filter which bypass section is like 98% efficiency at 5 microns. Along with my Luberfiner XL filter.
DSCN1776.jpg

Here's was the original ideal.

DSCN1802.jpg

But after some calls to Fleetguard and some research went with there Veturi LF9028 filter.

Here is it installed.

179577_163864750416374_1179680047_n.jpg

482054_163864443749738_1622670812_n.jpg

And here was my oil after a few months of use. I am back in the states now but will check again after I put a few 1000 more on it.

Mind you this is a QD32ETI (non common rail 12 year old diesel engine) The oil with a stock filter is Thick dark black. I run Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40 with a bottle of ZDDPMaxx. I would say its doing a [censored] of a job.

Dipstick
557944_167403123395870_1481423072_n.jpg

I'd be VERY concerned with ANYTHING rubbing/ making contact with the side of an oil filter....

Can you find someplace else to mount them?

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I'd be VERY concerned with ANYTHING rubbing/ making contact with the side of an oil filter....
Can you find someplace else to mount them?

I agree, it looks like they are rubbing, perhaps a few washers to space out the top mounting bolt from the block would angle the bypass unit in enough.

I replaced that air filter and moved it back a ways when I took that picture. I plan to run these around 20000 miles. I'll do a oil test at 10000 but that will take a long time to get to.

And the front side of that filter is just the same material as the side so it's just wired gauze rubbing that's why the blue color. Not a big deal it's not going to run a hole in the filter even if I didn't move it. It's a diesel guys it shakes so the filter moves.

It's a night and day difference of the black sap you normally see on the dip stick.

Bypass filters are interesting and certainly allow a truck that might hold 20 or 25 ltrs of oil to avoid having to change it too often, which makes economic sense for big sumpers.

I not so sure about the economics of using a bypass filter unit for a car (If there is room to fit one), because if you add the cost of the unit plus installation it would take a awful lot of oil changes to get your money back and the ultra fine filters are not cheap.

The other factor is that it appears from UOA results from bypass filter users that although their oil might be lasting longer, the same can't be said of the engine as the results are similar. Volvo for example do fit bypass filters to trucks, but don't offer them for any of their diesel cars and if they thought such a unit would make a significant difference to the life of an engine I can assure you they would.

Oddly enough if you want to increase the life expectancy of an engine the answer is not bypass filtration or fancy high tech synthetic oil, but a good sump or even main block heater.

Last edited:
Some of use don't care about the cost and like doing stuff just to do it. Recommended oil change on my Elgrand is 5000klm, That's barely 3000 miles. Going 3 times to 4 times further with cleaner oil and less wear on a 7.4qt system is a good enough cost savings for me.

My kit cost less than 100 bucks to make so well worth the extra money.

The volvo truck comparison is out in left field as well as a block heater since the Van is in a tropical climate year round with some of the dirtiest diesel fuel out there, not to mention the air quality. You need the best filters you can get.

Soot and carbon cause wear period if you can cut that down 50% plus why wouldn't you if you have the means.

I like not having oil that looks like tar, because I like my Elgrand to last a long time.

Sure it's not for everyone but some of us like to tinker. By the way the got all my filters were cheap. The Luberfiners were like 7 bucks each and LF9028 24 each on Filter barn. Also have the BD7317 to use later for 11 bucks each.

This is the best performing set up for the money for me. I am a bit of a filter hoarder to begin with.

Guys state side don't realize other parts of the world you just can't go to the store and get a good quality oil filter or one that's not a China knock off from the parts store, Philippines is like that. Since I only there part time since I retired from the Navy I like my stuff to have the best it can get.

Last edited:
Anyways , one can do what he wants , the op was just sharing his install . Of which gives me some ideas for later projects along an oil cooler as well .

Van has a big oil cooler stock, I also run a spin on filter set up on the transmission as well. I am going to give the BD7317 a shot when I do change my filters in a year or so.

If your talking about my Simota filter it does very well, I am also modded stock boost is 12, I can't suck 23psi of boost through a 1.7" hole of the stock airbox and silencer. Another good reason to have good filters. I clean that thing like one a month and Simoto is a good balance between flow and filtration.

http://www.australianauto.com.au/html/downloads/Air Filter Shoot Out.pdf

And it is sure a heck of a lot better than the common VIC replacements there.

This POS is the stock air box and silencer, It kills performance cost you almost 12hp at the wheels, makes your Engine work a heck of a lot harder than it needs to.

non086.jpg

Seriously 23psi with that, I don't think so. And people who are hung up on air filters that don't have a oil catch can on a diesel seems a bit silly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back