Handheld Camera Suggestions

Looking for a camera for work. We have a decent budget, I think I could do $1000, but personally I'd like to be in the $500 area.

This will be used for photos and videos for creating digital and printable work instructions.

Needs
Must be easy to use
Microphone input (it will be used in a louder ambient area so a microphone to isolate the background will be helpful)
Solid built in image stabilization (Don't want to add a gimble to the mix)
Removable memory card
Tripod mount
Decent optical zoom (don't want to flip around lenses)

I'm sure I'm missing something.

I'm half tempted to get an iPhone 14 Pro, but I'm sure there are good choices that are less money.

I have a Canon M50 and love it. Takes amazing pics and video and fits what you listed. Not sure on the current price, bought mine when it first came out.

“Solid” image stabilization imo puts you above your budget. But then again definitions matter.

Interested to hear what you decide on.

Take one for the team, buy a EOS R50 Content Creator Kit and report back. It will be released next week. Make a video using it, post it to Youtube and who knows, if you're lucky, there will be enough hits that will pay for the kit.

I'd check out the Sony ZV-1. Usually, available for under $700 and probably sufficient for what you need the camera. It also has mic input.

A decent dSLR might do the trick. The most important thing for decent quality is the lens and the image sensor size. Getting in more light helps a lot for better indoor image quality. Even a basic dSLR can produce really good images and has the flexibility to use specialized lenses.

Back