Hand winch question

So I have a beat up HF 4x8 trailer, with wood sides on it, that I use for, well, moving stuff. I'm going to pick up a riding mower that might not be running, so I want to get a winch of some sort to pull it onto the trailer. [Later on I need to get rid of a dead mower so not quite a one-time use. Already have ramps for the trailer.]

I'm thinking of a winch like used for small boats. But while looking at HF I found that there are ones with steel cables and ones with straps. I'm thinking the strap is better, maybe not long lived (less abrasion resistance), but maybe just more nice? It's been a while since I dealt with steel line on a winch, but my recollection was that they can bunch up and be annoying. But maybe one is better than the other?

This
winch1.jpg

versus something like this (ignore the mounting, HF has a few different winches like this).

winch2.jpg

I use the wire rope one (looks like the HF pic but bought on Amazon). It's on a drawbridge that I built for the grandkids that goes over a creek on our property. It works surprisingly well.

Another option if you want something you can use that's a little more general purpose is just buying a cable puller like this one (but not that one, has bad reviews). You'll need a short length of chain or a strap to hook it around the neck of the trailer if yours doesn't have very sturdy tie downs/sides.

Another option if you want something you can use that's a little more general purpose is just buying a cable puller like this one (but not that one, has bad reviews). You'll need a short length of chain or a strap to hook it around the neck of the trailer if yours doesn't have very sturdy tie downs/sides.
I originally thought going down the path of a come along, and thought I had one already... and when I couldn't find it in the basement decided I'd shop around. Then while clicking on links came across the boat winch idea, and thought, maybe it'd be worth the effort to figure out how to bolt it down once, then the second time I use it maybe any additional cost/complexity will have paid for itself.

I've used a come along a ton! Recovering vehicles, loading dead vehicles onto a trailer, installing chain link fence.

I have a spot to anchor it on the trailer , though.

I would think a crank type winch like a boat trailer winch would be easier and better for the purpose intended versus a one way action of a come a long type?

I would think a crank type winch like a boat trailer winch would be easier and better for the purpose intended versus a one way action of a come a long type?
That was kind of my thinking too. I messed around with my trailer and figured out how to make the tilt feature kinda/sorta work, by relocating the trailer jack to the trailer body. It's hack but it finally can raised a bit. So a non-running mower could have the trailer raised a bit, then cranked down the ramps, in a bit more of a controlled manner.

A come a long though should have the ability to ratchet backwards. It's just a bit of work.

That was kind of my thinking too. I messed around with my trailer and figured out how to make the tilt feature kinda/sorta work, by relocating the trailer jack to the trailer body. It's hack but it finally can raised a bit. So a non-running mower could have the trailer raised a bit, then cranked down the ramps, in a bit more of a controlled manner.

A come a long though should have the ability to ratchet backwards. It's just a bit of work.

It’s been a while since I’ve used a come a long but I thought the backwards ratchet was just to release tension off the cable? We always used them to pull things but not to lower or gradually release. The action is slow because the backwards release was just one click at a time.

The only advantage that I can see with the cable would be the ability to use a snatch block. But anything that required that would prob be too heavy for the trailer anyway. Come alongs are too slow. I'd go for the strap.

For nearly 30 years I've had one of these American Power Pull things for loading inop cars on my tow dolly. Those boat winches have a gear mechanism to wear out or break.

717pHz09YRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Come along should be part of a well equipped garage, I'll throw it in the Trailer, Lexus or ATV adds much confidence to your activity...saved me thousands over the years.

More Power Puller

Made a HF run and bought... both. One come a long with 10' of wire, and the strap winch. I figured, it wasn't going to break my wallet to get both. Just have to figure out how to rig it up.

Thanks all, just wanted to see if there was something I was overlooking.

Back