Hamp Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have open up a Honda Hamp oil filter and found it doesn't contain any end caps! Will post a more completed picture once i get my camera over.

-

-

Left is the orginial Honda oil filter.
Centre is the Hamp
Right is the Nippon

Without any end-caps will it not provide 100% filtration since the oil will slip through the top?

At least that Hamp (as shown in the center pic) doesn't have a huge hole in the filtration media that allows oil to shimmy on through.

confused.gif
The Hamp in the center top is identical to the one above. The stuff you see in the top/center image sits on top of the clear glue circle. As you can see, the outer pleats are open on the end ..allowing free oil flow to the center core.

It's a worthless filter as it appears.

If you check a little deeper, you should find that there is some sort of "glue" between the pleats, that seals off the oil flow. Much the same that some air filters are sealed.

All I can tell you is that the ones sitting on our "competitor sample" shelf, Is that the ends of the pleats are sealed to prevent oil bypass, just like the pleated ends of a "panel" type air filter.

This is the way the new Toyota filters are done. And also a couple of others. The pleat tips are glued together to prevent leakage. Somebody cut open a used one and found that the glue held up just fine.

toyota
honda filtech

[ August 09, 2006, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: kanling ]

quote:

Originally posted by Trex101:
I will do a dissect tomorrow on the filter element, see if it's glue together but from the look i really doubt it.

How's that oil filter autopsy doing?

quote:

Originally posted by Pete C.:
All I can tell you is that the ones sitting on our "competitor sample" shelf, Is that the ends of the pleats are sealed to prevent oil bypass, just like the pleated ends of a "panel" type air filter.

Even so ...look here

or take another look at my image...

[ August 12, 2006, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

And??????

The ends of the pleats are sealed with a hotmelt glue that is laid down on the sheet before the pleating process.

I'd be more worried about that unseated bypass poppet if I was using this filter. Unless trex101 unseated it during disassembly.

If you read the commentary you'll note that the pleats are all formed in a siameses (by compression)manner with no spacing around the center tube (which isn't there). That is, assuming that the end sealing was functional due to compression of the assembly against the end felt cap, preventing oil just "going around" the sealing point, the convolutions are compressed into a "inner pleat circle" that would appear to render much of the square inches of the media worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back