Had to show you guys this...Pennzoil Syn Euro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen that many times too in used oil containers that sat for months. Gravity very slowly causes the slightly more dense particles to settle to the bottom and intermolecular attraction causes them to agglomerate. The percent weight of insolubles that some UOAs report measures such particles' percent weight. Blackstone says the normal range is 0.1% to 0.5%.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by JohnG
Was there nothing similar stuck in the oil filter?

I always look at my filters very carefully, both inside and out, taking them apart if they are the spin on type. This MB filter is not spin on, so it is easy to look directly at the element itself.
And no, there was no apparent coating or buildup on the filter. I could see the fibers of the element very clearly. Sure, a bit darker than a new one, but not black and coated to any degree.

That's a bit disconcerting TBH.

This was just a Motorcraft FL-820S:
[Linked Image from darkfibrecommunications.com]

[Linked Image from darkfibrecommunications.com]

My Pentastar filters get the same looking crud in them. Didn't know if it was normal or not

I have the same crud at the bottom of my used oil jugs that I take back to advance auto. I agree with what has been posted, but I'll add that it may be possible that the drain pan could be a culprit. I keep mine (Cheap closed top with spout that always leaks) on a top shelf I the garage and it gets all kinds of debris on the top of it. I also use the pan under the brakes to catch fluid and rust when changing pads so I never really worry about the deposits that inevitably end up in the oil jugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back