Hack job Body Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had another thread going for the left side this is the right side.
I still need to fix some filler errors and block sand the primer then paint it.
The whole thing is covered by plastic cladding anyway i just wanted to make it look decent and last a while.
Tools used, mig welder, ball pein hammers, sheet metal cutters, vise and vice grips,
orbital sanders.

This is a bit of a hack job on a car thats being sold, i will cop to the shoddy workmanship but its not a keeper.

SAM_1269.jpg

SAM_1271.jpg

SAM_1278.jpg

SAM_1309.jpg

SAM_1311.jpg

SAM_1313.jpg

SAM_1329.jpg

SAM_1331.jpg

SAM_1333.jpg

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
The Rust Monster is the enemy of all cars!

You bet it is! Only in this area thankfully on this one. They made a serious mistake when they put these together, they left no drain for the water and it just filled up.
I made a drain into it.
With all the plastic in the inner fender well and over the body it goes unnoticed until its way too late.

That looks like quite a nice repair. When I was 16, I bought a old Dodge Ram and remember stuffing rags in the holes, so I wouldn't use as much putty. That's a hack job.

Very nice work and probably neater than necessary for steel that'll be hiding under platic cladding.
The buyer should be pleased, although they'll probably cry about the body having had rust that needed to be repaired.
I'd be very happy to buy this car with the work you've done to it.
Subaru?

Thats a 06? wow, my 97 rodeo had no rust, then again it was in Texas and Oklahoma and a short time in Colorado.

One good thing about cars that are from here (TX) during their lifetime, we don't see rust here much. No rust on the 06 or the 03.

Good job on the work, much better than I could do lol

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Thats not a hack job, thats a good job on a bad rust job.

I agree, it looks nicely done.

Is that a structural component? Was new component welded in? it seems that some of the intermediate steps were not shown here.

Not structural, its a full frame Yukon. Not even all the finish welding is shown here never mind the intermediate steps.
I wasn't posting a how to, just showing a reasonable looking and durable enough repair can be done in a few hours and less than $70 a side inc paint and clear with a minimum of tools.

If it was welding, how can it be even called a hack job? You have been too modest! Sorry, a hack job is a Bondo job!

Last edited:
If this was a newer car with damage in this area instead of rust or a classic/keeper car you wouldn't do it this way.

This job fits the purpose and is perfectly fine but there is a huge difference between right and this.
Anyone with basic skills can do a job like this without worrying if the car is bending when structural parts are cut out.

I still need to use filler on the other side if your interested in seeing how its done and shaped quickly without a whole lot of sanding i can post pics of that when i do it.

That's an inexcusable amount of rust for an '06. We had an '07 Impala at work today, with almost that amount of rust. I couldn't believe it.

Well, 2006 *was* 8 years ago. Hardly new anymore. Still way better than back in the day when this was expected after 3-5 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back