H-rated car brake pads are now a thing?

Last time I did a brake job was a few years ago (2018-ish). I remember looking for H-rated brake pads and all I could find were ones for motorcycles.

I just did a brake job with some $25 Raybestos EHT pads for a 2018 RAV4. I was looking at the pads and it clearly was rated "GH."

This really, really surprised me as I've used their EHT pads before and they were only rated GG.

Did some advancement in brake technology occur in the last few years that allowed H-rated brake pads to become viable for passenger cars???

Or did Raybestos simply commit a typo??

I'm thinking a few brake pad makers are overstating their friction ratings.
Kinda like the bogus HP ratings on wet/dry Vacs.

^^^Yes, it's a higher CoF but at what temperature(s)? IMO, higher CoF only means better if you can use it to your benefit.
I personally have not experienced every type of CoF brake pads, only E through G.

I haven't liked a single brand(good/known name brands) of GG CoF pads that I have ever used as my normal stopping power/bite sucks in everyday-ness from my first stop(s) driving out of my housing development all the way to stopping on the hiwy(normally or emergency stopping).
I do however prefer FF pads as I have never had a bad set. Just my experience.

To me, HH pads would send me crashing into the vehicle in front of me unless I was racing on a track...maybe I'm wrong! :unsure:

Last edited:
^^^ In addition, I would certainly want higher CoF brake pads if I were to drive harder and in turn, need to stop harder.
BUT WAIT!... Let me elaborate. If I drove harder than I normally do, I might want or need GG. If I drove really hard, then I could need HH.

I my experience, higher CoF pads need more heat to do or feel the same in braking as lower CoF pads under normal-ness. And for me(ME), I just don't drive any harder than what you would normally see on our streets & hiwys.

Last edited:
Back