H-D Trans Fluid: Amsoil MCV 20W-50 or SVT 75W-110

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bike: 2012 Harley-Davidson FLHTK Electra Glide Ultra Limited

The question: In another thread (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3432749/Harley-Davidson_Oil_Capacities) I asked a question about how many quarts of MCV 20W-50 fluid would be needed to do a fluid change in the engine, transmission, and primary chaincase, and it looks like 6-7 quarts is the answer.

However, a very helpful poster recommended using MCV in the engine and MCV in the primary chaincase, but SVT 75W-110 in the transmission (rather than the MCV), saying "the Amsoil 75w-110 SVT Gear Oil will help with the tranny whine and notchy shifting."

H-D recommends their Syn3 20W-50 in all three holes, and Amsoil does pretty much the same with their MCV 20W-50, but also lists the SVT as appropriate for the transmission (http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-equipment/motorcycles/amsoil-for-harley-davidson/). Cost wise, it's pretty much a wash, so it effectively comes down to which fluid will give the best performance.

At least one site I found makes the case to just go with the MCV in all three holes since the 20W-50 oil and 75W-110 gear lube act almost identically at operating temps. I'm very interested to poll the wisdom of the forum and ask which Amsoil fluid (MCV or SVT) should be used in the transmission of the bike posted above and why. As always, thank you for your help and advice!
smile.gif

I have used gear oil in all my Harley transmissions....WAY better than motor oil. Any 75w90 or 85w140 or even the redline shockproof heavy 75w240 will suffice.

You can do a 20,000 mile OCI if you use a synthetic or a 15,000 if you use dino.

Once you try gear oil you will never go back.

BTW, my dealer uses Bel-Ray 85w140 gear saver gear oil exclusively for over 30 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
I have used gear oil in all my Harley transmissions....WAY better than motor oil. Any 75w90 or 85w140 or even the redline shockproof heavy 75w240 will suffice.

You can do a 20,000 mile OCI if you use a synthetic or a 15,000 if you use dino.

Once you try gear oil you will never go back.

BTW, my dealer uses Bel-Ray 85w140 gear saver gear oil exclusively for over 30 years.

Thanks for the perspective! I'm definitely sticking with Amsoil either way. If their SVT 75W-110 is the better choice, then I'll buy 6 qts of the MCV 20W-50 for engine and primary chaincase, and 1qt of SVT for the transmission.

Anyone else have any experiences one way or the other?

Another vote for the gear oil over the motor oil! What then would be the preferred gear oil for the Harley's transmission, the SVT 75W-110 or the SVO 75W-140? I've read mostly about the SVT, but is there a case to be made for the SVO?

I've been using shockproof heavy in my street bob and I will never go backwards to motor oil.
I like that I'm able to use actual products matched to their service in my Harley and not just motor oil.

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
Another vote for the gear oil over the motor oil! What then would be the preferred gear oil for the Harley's transmission, the SVT 75W-110 or the SVO 75W-140? I've read mostly about the SVT, but is there a case to be made for the SVO?

Personally, I would use the lighter stuff first. If it works well for you, you are done. If you think it is still notchy, you can still go heavier.

I have been using RL Shockproof Heavy in my BMW motorcycle for years. They have trannies that would do duty in a truck. Shockproof Heavy made mine a smooth shifter. Not quite Japanese smooth, but close.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Originally Posted By: SwedishRider

Personally, I would use the lighter stuff first. If it works well for you, you are done. If you think it is still notchy, you can still go heavier.

I have been using RL Shockproof Heavy in my BMW motorcycle for years. They have trannies that would do duty in a truck. Shockproof Heavy made mine a smooth shifter. Not quite Japanese smooth, but close.

Back years ago I owned a 1972 R75/5 . Never could get it to shift without that notable "clack" . Great bike , only wish it had had one more gear for cruising .
I'm sure some of these better gear oils that are available may have helped but you got used to it .

Last edited:
I run MCV in all my bikes.
That's 1 HD VRSCR and 2 DUCATI's.
They all have shared sumps, so I can't run a different transmission fluid.

The everyday performance of MCV is superb in every respect, and is verified by numerous used oil analysis.
It will last up to the full 12,000 km service interval on the DUCATI's. But they seem to be a little easier on the oil(possibly due to a lighter bike)
And up to about 10,000 kms in the HD, which is 25% longer than it's supposed to be in service(according to the factory service intervals), whilst still remaining "in grade" and serviceable.

This tells me the oil has real and tangible performance reserves.

Having said that.
I am a firm believer in using the correct oil for the application.
In the case of the heavy cruiser HD with a separate transmission, I would not hesitate to use the SVT gear oil for the ultimate in long term protection, in preference to the MCV motor oil. Regardless of my experience.
But that's just my firmly held preference in how things should be. Gear oils for gear boxes/transmissions.

Don't get me wrong.
The MCV a great oil from my experience, and from the data provided by Amsoil in regard to the FZG gear wear test it is every bit as good as it needs to be, and then some.
And it will work fine.

I would also like to refer you to the "Amsoil motorcycle oil white paper" they produced for further study on the matter.

In summary, in a heart beat I would put the SVT gear oil into the transmission of my own personal heavy cruiser HD if I had one for the ultimate protection. And I'd extend the service interval so I didn't have to change it as often to simplify servicing.
Obviously I absolutely wouldn't put it into the primary.

To look at it another way, I absolutely wouldn't put the MCV motorcycle oil into a transmission or gear box of a machine, that was spec'd for a gear oil like SVT.
Unless there was no available alternative.
Like I say, gear oils for gear boxes where possible.

It's interesting to note your consideration of the gear oil in the equation.
If I remember correctly, the original brief of the earlier thread was for a recommendation of one oil for all 3 holes, which was inline with the HD recommendation when they brought out the SYN 3 oil.
Hence the "3" in SYN 3.
If you study the Amsoil white paper, I'm sure you will find it illuminating.
I think HD have also backed away from their recommendation of the SYN 3 in all 3 holes in recent times, with their current generation of motorcycles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducman
If I remember correctly, the original brief of the earlier thread was for a recommendation of one oil for all 3 holes, which was inline with the HD recommendation when they brought out the SYN 3 oil.

I was actually looking for the number of quarts needed for a full fluid change in a H-D motorcycle. It's a relative's bike, not mine (I don't like motorcycles). I was open to suggestions, but sticking with Amsoil fluids. The MCV in all three holes is ideal for simplicity, but seems the SVT may be the better choice for performance and "feel".

I was the one that suggested SVT 75w-110 in the tranny. Why?, cause it gets dang hot in Central Texas during the summer. Today is suppose to be 98 with heat index at 105 and I don't want a motor oil in my gearbox!

Some people run 20w-50 SYN3, some run the SVT, some run RedLine Shockproof heavy. It's all a matter of personal preference.
One guy on this forum from Canada runs Rotella 15w-40 Diesel oil in his engine and primary.

My 2011 FLHTK I ran AMsoil 20w-50 in engine and Primary and the SVT gear oil in the tranny.

My current bike 2013 CVO Screamin Eagle Ultra I run Schaffers Supreme 7000 20w-50 in engine and primary and Schaffers gear oil in tranny. Why? Because I can get it cheaper from a local distributor than Amsoil thru the mail. Maintenance is done every 5k and all three holes changed out...that's just my preference.

My buddy runs Mobil 1 20w-50 in all three holes of his CVO SE Ultra with no issues.

A lot of people run Valvoline VR-1 in their HD's..

You can run just about any 15w-40 oil in the primary and it won't hurt anything. It's only lubricating a chain and clutch pack.

Personally, it's more important to change oils at required intervals..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back