Guy drives into creek...sues county and rescuers

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/colorado-man-sue-divers-saved-submerged-car/story?id=22848802

This is ridiculous.

First of all...not sure if the road/bridge/culvert suddenly gave way or what, but it seems like common sense should have told him "don't drive there."

Even if the road appeared totally fine and just suddenly gave way (seems unlikely), is there a 30 minute guarantee on rescues or something? It doesn't look like ideal conditions to try to dig someone out of a flooded creek. I guess the first responders were supposed to go on a suicide mission to save someone who it seems didn't take many measures to help himself?

Frankly, I hope he gets some backlash for this. A counter suit for expenses would be good.

The story doesn't give a ton of details, but this has all appearances of an ambulance chaser cash grab. $40K in medical bills, but he needs $500K? Please.

We have got to stop rewarding stupidity in this country.

He won't win. My boss said Colorado is considered a municipality. Unless the bridge or road had issues that were known to be dangerous and signs not posted then more than likely he won't win.

OK iam so drunk i cant see a road that isnt there. AND some one saved me from dieing. while risking THERE life. WA WA WA WA

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
http://abcnews.go.com/US/colorado-man-sue-divers-saved-submerged-car/story?id=22848802

This is ridiculous.

Frankly, I hope he gets some backlash for this. A counter suit for expenses would be good.

Today most of these useless eaters have no sense of humility or integrity, so they cannot be embarrassed into accepting
"personal responsibility".

I would love to see the Judge or Magistrate order him to pay double expenses for even bringing this frivolous lawsuit.

While some of the claims are a bit ridiculous, there is a valid point in the case.

It is a matter of whether or not the rescuers did their due diligence. They missed a trapped person. Now, conditions were bad and the "driver" was in the back of the cab. Sure, the divers SHOULD have made sure that there nobody was in the cab, front or back.

But, did any of the actions (or failures) of the emergency responders cause or aggravate the injuries. If not, then the plaintiff will lose, if they did, he has a good case.

Keep in mind that the courts are not only about hearing obvious cases for the plaintiff's cause and it is one's freedom to seek grievances, real or... imaginary.

Now, I am in the opinion that you do not sue "help" freely offered within abilities. I had a nasty bike accident and suffered spine trauma and it took 2 hours for EMS to access my location. Sure, it was only 1.5 miles off the road and within a university experimental forest but someone locked the access gate and prevented EMS to respond. Sure, I had 6K in medical bills WITH insurance, but I did not go around suing EMS responders. They have to do something really wrong (like be drunk on the job) to warrant that.

I just heard about this story last night. I'm withholding judgement, to see if it's just about trying to cover $40k in expenses; or if there is a legitimate claim to negligence. Perhaps there is more to the story than a soundbite.

That said, if given the chance between dying versus paying out an exorbitant amount (let's say it's one to two years salary) I'm going to say I'd take the bill, and be happy about it. Maybe not every day, but I'd be hard pressed to sue over it. Sometimes you have to suck it up and move on.

Originally Posted By: supton
I just heard about this story last night. I'm withholding judgement, to see if it's just about trying to cover $40k in expenses; or if there is a legitimate claim to negligence. Perhaps there is more to the story than a soundbite.

That said, if given the chance between dying versus paying out an exorbitant amount (let's say it's one to two years salary) I'm going to say I'd take the bill, and be happy about it. Maybe not every day, but I'd be hard pressed to sue over it. Sometimes you have to suck it up and move on.

They do have video of the rescue, and from watching it I can completely see why the rescue took two hours, and why they were unaware that someone was still alive in the car.

The water was raging and moving quick, and in addition to that it was filled with mud making it opaque. Even in the best dive gear, it would be totally impossible to see your hand in front of your face in that situation, let alone to look through a window of a mostly flooded car to see if someone is inside. That's not even something you could reasonably expect someone to be able to do. All the rescuers could do in that situation was to extract the car, which they did. Now, if they just sat there on the bank and said "well, I guess we can't get to it today," that would be different. But they did make an active effort to get the car out and put themselves at risk to do so. There are no guarantees in situations like this, and it was physically impossible to see if someone was in the car. That's why I'm leaning towards the claim being ridiculous.

On top of that, this would not be so outrageous if the amount the guy was seeking was somewhat inline with his claimed $40K in medical bills. How does $40K turn into half a million dollars? If he was just trying to recover medical costs (which he likely would have incurred anyway flipping a car over in a creek), court/lawyer costs, etc., then maybe it would look like there was some legitimacy here. But $500K? That looks like a cash grab.

While there may be a legitimate claim that the city/town/whoever should have blocked off the road, even that is stretching it. Maybe their resources were tied up and they just weren't able to get to that road. At some point, common sense should still kick in and say "don't drive on a washed out road...pay attention to what is ahead of you, especially if conditions are bad." The fact he is suing in part over the municipality not putting up warning signs implies that the road was washed out before he drove off into the creek, and it was not a sudden thing.

By all appearances, it seems this guy did very little to prevent the accident in the first place, and now wants it to be a lottery. Granted, we don't know EVERYTHING that happened here, but everything about it so far looks ridiculous. There are no guarantees in a situation like this, and considering they were trying to get his car out of a still flooded and rapidly moving creek, it appears a reasonable effort was made on the part of the first responders.

$40K in medical bills sucks, but guess what, [censored] happens, especially when you don't pay attention to where you are going in bad weather. Most of us try to avoid potholes...how did he miss this unless the road suddenly gave way? That's life. Bad things happen, and sometimes it's really not someone else's fault. Suck it up and move on. Don't be a [censored].

The worst part is, that $500K or whatever settlement could be rewarded is not going to come out of a piggy bank in the sky or a money tree, it will come out of the budget for the emergency services in that municipality, which could severely impact their ability to provide services to other people. That's shameful.

6 or 7 years ago I got stabbed in the throat. 15 stitches to close the hole,4 on my carotid artery. I watched the streamers spray 10 feet in front of my.
Luckily I lived a block from the hospital in golden. I got there they proceeded to put 4 IVs in me. Something about not losing the prime on the pump.
So the doctor wouldn't touch me,said to stop what bleeding they could and get me to Calgary foothills hospital.
My pulse stopped twice and I required recussitation,my ribs were broken when they performed CPR.
So I got to Calgary got stitched up and sent home.

So who do I sue. The doctor who refused to treat me,maybe the nurse who broke my ribs saving my life,or the ambulance driver for taking too long.
When I got home I bought flowers for the nurses and thanked them.
Maybe I shoulda called a lawyer.
Some folks don't realize how good they've got it.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
So who do I sue. The doctor who refused to treat me,maybe the nurse who broke my ribs saving my life,or the ambulance driver for taking too long.

I'm sorry, definately not trying to put you down or discount your experience as it sounds absolutely terrible and the outcome very fortunate but I must stand on my soapbox for a moment.

Please do not call us ambulance drivers. Are firefighters "fire truck drivers?" Police "cop car drivers?" While the training levels and licenses vary in EMS most of us are highly trained professionals and often with college level education or degrees. We provide advanced medical care both on scene and during transport and "driving the ambulance," while an important part, is just one part of the job. Even a routine transfer such as from a community hospital er to a trauma center often involves much more than driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back