Gutting and cleaning squirrels.........

Black squirrels are common in Council Bluffs, IA where I grew up and they make their way next door to Omaha, NE where I live now. Not sure how prevalent they are elsewhere.
Council Bluffs is full of black squirrels! Worked there until I retired a little over a year ago.

Against the law to harass or shoot them too.

I clean a squirrel with a pair of good scissors.. dunk them in water to wet the fur, cut the fur aross the back then just pull in both directions, cut off the feet then the quarters and then cut out the back last and toss the rest..

I hadn't eaten a squirrel in forever, but trying to show my son that you shouldn't kill things for no reason, or let a life go to waste. If you get a young one you can fry it right up, if its an old male you (should just not bother trying to eat it) should pressure cook it first then fry..

I clean a squirrel with a pair of good scissors.. dunk them in water to wet the fur, cut the fur aross the back then just pull in both directions, cut off the feet then the quarters and then cut out the back last and toss the rest..

I hadn't eaten a squirrel in forever, but trying to show my son that you shouldn't kill things for no reason, or let a life go to waste. If you get a young one you can fry it right up, if its an old male you (should just not bother trying to eat it) should pressure cook it first then fry..
Like you I grew up squirrel hunting, dressing them, boiling them, then pan fry and make a gravy with the pan drippings and water you used for boiling. A lot of work for a meal but you knew your food and source. Teaching that young man the right way. Too many people go “hunting” and then have no intentions of harvesting the meat.

Edit: Never thought to try scissors. We cut across the back and pulled the hide off like a shirt then pants. Cutting the tail, head, and feet off next. Carefully making a cut from top of chest down to the other end removing entrails and arse. Then spend time “picking” any hair that made its way on the meat before separating legs and body for cooking. My father in law could do this without a single hair on the meat. I have fond memories of hunting with him 40+ years ago. He would give me a hard time if I missed one.

Last edited:
Back