Gutter Guards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am looking to replace my gutters. Currently have these wire mesh gutter guards that just continue to get clogged up with tree junk. I'm spent a lot of time researching different types of "gutter guards" and the info is all over the place. I had K-Guard come out today and do an estimate but it was pretty expensive. He gave me alist of about 50 customers in my area and suggested I call them. I have called 6 so far and the all love their K-Guards.

Do you have any suggestions?

Originally Posted By: Gebo

Yes, if you can, cut down any broadleaf tree within 50-75 feet of the house, problem solved (more or less).

Plus, there is the added benefit of not having to worry about a tree crashing down on the house in a storm.

Pine needles and such are the bane of my gutters. Anyone have a suggestion for a gutter guard that works for them, other than cutting the trees down?

Ok, super dumb question here. What are gutters for? We don't really have them here, why can't the rain run off the roof and onto the ground? Hair gonna get a little wet when you walk out the door? Or is it to keep the water away from the foundation?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Ok, super dumb question here. What are gutters for? We don't really have them here, why can't the rain run off the roof and onto the ground? Hair gonna get a little wet when you walk out the door? Or is it to keep the water away from the foundation?

It keeps water away from the foundation and from going right into the basement. It's amazing the amount of water that comes off a roof, even here in Phoenix my trash cans float around from all the water flowing off the roof when we get a decent rainfall.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Gutters keep the soil directly under your foundation from eroding. Poorly maintained gutters will lead to broken foundations and homes that are not level.

I had a new roof and gutters put on my house last year and did a lot of research into gutter guards. During a very heavy rain, a lot of water will roll right over any type of gutter guard system. This especially happens when the surface gets a little dirty as the water tension resistance changes, even if there are no debris on the guards. Gutter guard sellers often take advantage of the older clientèle the product appeals to and charge too much imo. My gutter installer said he would install the K style gutter guards for $750.00 in addition to the price of the gutters. I have 114 feet of gutters. I declined. He also tried to sell me an older style he said that works great if you hit it with a hose once or twice a year, which can be done on a ranch without a ladder.

Take the coached references with a grain of salt.

Old Style

Most guards have draw backs. I would only try them if doing a second or third story roof that is difficult/dangerous to try and clean yourself. When I worked as a contractor we would make our own gutter helmets from trim coil. They worked ok but now there is something you have to pull out when they do need cleaned. I have seen some pretty long pressure washer attachments that would make short work of cleaning gutters best of oil no ladders and no reaching into that goop

If you have a 2 story house, make the investment in a quality gutter guard.

For a 1 story house, install do it yourself cheap plastic guards. Will last 10 years. Hose them off after leaves fall.

What gets in the gutters? Leaves or pine needles?

Pine needles need a screen like on your dryer lint trap. There are some out there.

It seems crazy places charge more for the gutter guards than the gutter.

I have 10' of gutter over front steps. No other gutters.

THe gutters on my garage were insanely overloaded with junk even with gutter guards. Took a few hours per side to hose the [censored] out of them and clean it up nice. Id say the money saved is worth skipping them on a ranch house, cleaning them back out with a hose takes maybe a half hour now that I took the guards off and if its done every spring/summer. You can also get a leaf blower attachment to make it easier, or build one from PVC.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

Yes, if you can, cut down any broadleaf tree within 50-75 feet of the house, problem solved (more or less).

Plus, there is the added benefit of not having to worry about a tree crashing down on the house in a storm.

The trees are not on my property and I live in the woods. Many trees...Mostly oak, maple and river birches.

Last edited:
I use the 3ft plastic "Frost King" snap-in gutter guards on my home. I've had them in place for 5-6yrs now. I bought them when on sale for $1/ea. Under $50 to do the whole house. These panels have the circular holes, which sheds debris well. Little stuff does get through and I have to scoop a handful of gunk from the downwpout ends from time to time is about all.

It is amazing how expensive the "professional" stuff is. $5-7 a FOOT?!? You gotta be kidding me. Had that stuff in our previous home. The elderly woman that owned it got suckered in. It was razor sharp aluminum wire stuff. Hated it and scrapped every inch of it eventually.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
What gets in the gutters? Leaves or pine needles?

Pine needles need a screen like on your dryer lint trap. There are some out there.

It seems crazy places charge more for the gutter guards than the gutter.

I have 10' of gutter over front steps. No other gutters.

No pine needles. Mostly leaves and that "other" stuff that river birches produce. Only comes off in the spring lands on roof and then fills up the gutters. I have the wire mesh gutter guards and this yellow stuff from the trees stops the mesh up and then it runs all down the gutters and looks like [censored].

Last edited:
Really, gutter guards don't do what homeowners want them to do ... prevent the task of cleaning eavestroughs ("gutters" to Americans) twice a year, spring and fall, or if just once, late fall. Mostly they just prevent the free flow of water, the most important job, as they clog up with debris.

But really all you need to do is clean them yourself, or hire someone. Around here the average house and detached garage will cost you under $100 ($US 70), typically $60~85 ($US 45~64). Not only does it solve the problem, it also means there is someone who knows what's what inspecting the condition every year.

Maintaining eaves and gutters is the key to saving money; in good condition overall all you usually will need is a little of the specialized adhesive caulk and a few screws and brackets replaced. Very inexpensive, and easy to do yourself if you don't mind climbing a ladder. Keeping on top of rotting wood or damaged aluminum will also save you mucho dineros in the long run.

I have often worked in the field with a buddy who bought the tools and a machine to custom-create heavy duty troughs (we would make them up to about 18 m /60' ... anything longer you do in two parts, as you can't keep them from bending when you try to install them). We do an excellent job, much better than average, where a company is all about doing the job as quickly as possible.

Getting a good contractor is the key, and with this particular task, you want a smaller firm that cares a bit, versus a big crew that does large commercial jobs. New construction is very different than homeowner work where you need to take the time to do it right when there might be damage from water already, and small, simple repairs pay to avoid big costs later. Just having a cleaner have a close look at everything is worth the money in the long run.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Really, gutter guards don't do what homeowners want them to do ... prevent the task of cleaning eavestroughs ("gutters" to Americans) twice a year, spring and fall, or if just once, late fall..

Johnny, I mostly agree with this. For my situation, they turn an all the way around the house cleaning to just a quick reach-in at two end caps where the downspouts are.

I'm starting to think I'll leave the gutters open....

Probably not a bad idea. Stuff still gets in there no matter what (pollen, maple seeds, leaf bits, shingle sand, etc.). Then you have moss growing in there as well. Had my gutters with screens on them for around 15 yrs now. And one by one I'm removing the screws for the screens as it only makes the job 3X as long. I have 2 ft roof overhangs built all around the house so I'm not sure why I ever got the gutters in the first place.

Consumer reports did a test several years ago. You might look it up.

Personally I hate gutters. Period. Royal PITA. The ONLY reason I have them is due to poor drainage and a foundation elevation issue: Critical corner is barely 4" above soil (mostly clay & rock). I also live under both Oaks (leaves + tassles) and Cedar Elms (tiny leaves + even tiny-er seeds). Fixing this means a trench & soil drain system: $$$$. My gutters downspouts pour into 3" PVC that carries the water to the other side of the yard that's not critical.

When debris is an issue, it makes sense to upsiaze both gutters & downspouts to prevent clogs. Makes a world of difference. That's my future plan.

One innovative solution I read about is to remove the gutters and install a drain system in the ground. This may require digging though and needs the proper pitch to drain.

I agree that any type of gutter guard is a bad idea; the ones that keep the most debris out also limit the amount of water that can come in during torrential rain, which is the entire purpose of gutters in the first place. I've tried various styles from home depot and said the heck with it and just do the usual cleanup job once or twice a year. Even with them in place, you still have to go up to inspect them and clean them if they get clogged. They are more of a hassle then worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back