Gun lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally ordered some CorrosionX. If Hoppes Elite gun oil is not that great there is no use in even giving it a trial. I will see how the CorrosionX works out.

If I don't like it I will go back to Hoppes Elite gun cleaner for the bore, Breakfree, and maybe get some Teflon spray to make up for the loss of PTFE in the Breakfree.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I finally ordered some CorrosionX. If Hoppes Elite gun oil is not that great there is no use in even giving it a trial. I will see how the CorrosionX works out.

If I don't like it I will go back to Hoppes Elite gun cleaner for the bore, Breakfree, and maybe get some Teflon spray to make up for the loss of PTFE in the Breakfree.

I think you will like it. It does everything well and make a great clp type product.

Corrosion X is not a strong bore cleaner though, you will still need to use a bore cleaner for the bigger cleanings. You can mix corrosion x with odorless mineral spirits 20% corrosion x to 80% mineral spirits to make a general purpose cleaner but even that is not a copper or lead remover on its own.

Feel free to post a quick review of corrosion x if you would. Pablo and I already have.

In that case I will probably use Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner just on the bore of the barrel. And maybe once a year or so something stronger like Sweets. Whenever I use a real strong bore cleaner I always use it outside and I use just plastic or nylon bore cleaning tools. You don't want to use brass fittings because there is copper in the fittings.

As soon as the CorrosionX arrives I will go shooting again if it is warm enough next week. I have already cleaned the gun of course so I will lubricate the gun with CorrosionX before going shooting. And then I will write a review of it.

I will keep using Hoppes No. 9 or Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner for the bore of the barrel.

I think I will shoot my Glock also (and lubricate it with CorrosionX) if I can find some .40 cal target ammo.

I have already received the CorrosionX! I have never seen such a rapid delivery. I really was not expecting the product to be delivered until next week. But a UPS truck arrived and I have already applied the CorrosionX to my 9 mm S&W M&P. I am going to try to go shooting next week (it is supposed to be reasonably warm) so I will see how well the gun lube stays on the gun.

My first impression is that it has a smell maybe kind of like a grease. But it is a liquid. I put in on the slide areas and it did not drip off like some gun oils do. It seemed to stay put pretty well. It has a kind of green or blue green color.

The main thing I noticed that I really liked was that after I put it on the barrel and the slide areas it seemed to stay where I put it. Some other gun oils will flow right off. Some gun oils after application will appear to be completely gone after a gun has been sitting for a while. It will take me a while to test for that. When I go shooting I will evaluate how well the CorrosionX seems to lubricate.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I have already received the CorrosionX! I have never seen such a rapid delivery. I really was not expecting the product to be delivered until next week. But a UPS truck arrived and I have already applied the CorrosionX to my 9 mm S&W M&P. I am going to try to go shooting next week (it is supposed to be reasonably warm) so I will see how well the gun lube stays on the gun.

My first impression is that it has a smell maybe kind of like a grease. But it is a liquid. I put in on the slide areas and it did not drip off like some gun oils do. It seemed to stay put pretty well. It has a kind of green or blue green color.

The main thing I noticed that I really liked was that after I put it on the barrel and the slide areas it seemed to stay where I put it. Some other gun oils will flow right off. Some gun oils after application will appear to be completely gone after a gun has been sitting for a while. It will take me a while to test for that. When I go shooting I will evaluate how well the CorrosionX seems to lubricate.

That sounds like a good start. CorrosionX is kind of strange in that it penetrates very well yet seems to stay where you put it and not run off as much as other oils. It is also pretty slow to evaporate and I have never been able to get it to gum up. The action is very smooth when you lubricate with corrosionX, Fouling and carbon dont adhere very well when you fire the gun and it is the best oil based rust preventer I have tried.

To me, CorrosionX smells like a mixture of motor oil and molasses or maybe maple syrup. I don't think the odor is offensive though, that is another reason I like it.

You didn't say where you got yours but when CorrosionX is bought in large quantity, the price goes well below my personal max price of $1 per Oz for gun lube. Skygeek.net and great lakes corrosion.com seem to have the lowest prices I have found.

I picked up a can of CorrosionX (in the red spray can) ...Curious if it is the same make up as the small squeeze bottle labled as gun lube ?

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I picked up a can of CorrosionX (in the red spray can) ...Curious if it is the same make up as the small squeeze bottle labled as gun lube ?

Yes it is the same! Corrosion X red bottle, is also known as Corrosion X Marine, corrosion X Original and Corrosion X for Guns.

I also saw CorrosionX in a aqua green colored spray can labled : "HD" (heavy duty) for marine and exposed weather type applications ...Can CorrosionX red can / gun lube be used as a slide lube ?

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I also saw CorrosionX in a aqua green colored spray can labled : "HD" (heavy duty) for marine and exposed weather type applications ...Can CorrosionX red can / gun lube be used as a slide lube ?

I undercoated my truck with CorrosionX HD, it came out great!

Corrosion X original can be used on any part of your gun with success. I use it on all my guns, knives, tools, reloading dies, inside my ratchets, all over the outside of my old furnace, every where & every thing that can have an oil based lube or rust stopper on it gets corrosion x! I have tried the original, the aviation and the heavy duty versions, All are great!

Originally Posted By: JeePing
After searching gun boards for a good lube for my rifles handguns and not finding much I remembered this place! Most of the discussion on gun boards about lube/cleaners is "I use brand xxxxx and it works". No one really goes in to details of why and how well, not like you guys here. So my question is, what would be a great lubricant for an AR type of rifle that can extend the life of moving parts?
Right now I use break free CLP and little bit of bearing grease, but after CLP sits for a while it evaporates and leaves metal looking dry/not lubricated.
What do you guys use on in your weapons?

RP synthetic gun oil
http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/royal-purple-synthetic-gun-oil/#.UoFoyF8o45g

and

Slick 50 "One Lube"
http://www.slick50.com/ourProducts/oneLube.php

I use the RP stuff in my semi auto shotguns on the internal working parts. I hunt well into Feb each year and the synthetic oil doesn't thicken as bad in the extreme cold and thus it doesn't slow the gun action down which causes jams like a regular gun oil does. A little goes a long way and makes the action work like "buttah".

The Slick 50 One Lube is what I use everywhere else/on all my guns( shotguns, rifles, handguns, blackpowder ). It is an excellent product. It was reformulated recently and is now called "Recharged" but it appears to work as well if not better than the original in what I see so far. It does an excellent job on guns used over saltwater( 99% of my use ). Also works great for long term storage and general use.

FWIW...

For screw in chokes on my shotguns I use Castle spray lithium grease. Something about it just works awesome for choke tubes. It comes out very thin but expands and thickens after a few seconds. I wipe some on the threads before screwing it into the barrel and let it squish out where it wants. Once tight I wipe off the extra.

I used to run into choke tubes rusting/seizing in the barrel all the time due to the saltwater environment I hunt so often as well as the rain, snow, sleet, etc... that are so common when hunting waterfowl. Since I started using the castle LG I haven't had any problems. Works so much better than any choke tube lube I have tried.

http://www.castlepackspower.com/index.cfm?Page=Castle White Lithium Grease

After many years of experimenting and trying different brands this combo works best for me.

NH HEMI-
Does the slick 50 lube still contain teflon? I have always wanted to try that stuff but I don't like that it is only available in aerosol form.

I have always used a tiny dab of automotive anti-seize compound on choke threads, although any high temperature grease should work well also.

Originally Posted By: AMC
NH HEMI-
Does the slick 50 lube still contain teflon? I have always wanted to try that stuff but I don't like that it is only available in aerosol form.

No idea. Not sure the original One Lube ever did? Why does it bother you that it is in an aerosol can?

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
NH HEMI-

No idea. Not sure the original One Lube ever did? Why does it bother you that it is in an aerosol can?

I thought that was what made slick 50 famous, the teflon? The spray lube was supposed to have it too last time I knew.

For guns, I prefer to use precision oilers or dropper bottles so I can carefully get the lube where I need it with out it spraying all over like most aerosols do. For automotive and around the house stuff, aerosol is easier because you can just go around give quick shots into the larger areas.

What I heard was that the Teflon in Slick50 was removed and there is some other technology they are using. I think Teflon might be good for guns but not for automobile engines.

I used to use Tufoil for engines. There is a Tufoil Teflon containing product available for guns but I have never used it. Or at least as far as I know it is still available. It received a high rating by one guy who built custom guns. He said it was the best of the Teflon containing products.

I have some random motor oil in an old hopped oil bottle, 20w50 I think, for light lubrication and protection. I like to use a very light coat of wheel bearing grease on moving parts/contact points that aren't exposed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
NH HEMI-

I thought that was what made slick 50 famous, the teflon? The spray lube was supposed to have it too last time I knew.

For guns, I prefer to use precision oilers or dropper bottles so I can carefully get the lube where I need it with out it spraying all over like most aerosols do. For automotive and around the house stuff, aerosol is easier because you can just go around give quick shots into the larger areas.

To the best of my knowledge the One Lube came out quite a while after they stopped using Teflon in the oil additive but? I have one of the original One Lube formula cans left and it doesn't say anything about Teflon the way it used to talk about it on the oil additive.

Just put the straw thing on and it let's you squirt it where you want. Also, it isn't a mist spray it is a heavy wet stream.

Last edited:
I have checked my gun before shooting (it has been a few days) and I have noticed that the CorrosionX stays on the slide areas better than Hoppes Elite gun oil and somewhat better than Breakfree. I wonder if grease would be just as effective but I really don't like to use grease on a handgun. But the CorrosionX does seem to cling better than other gun oils I have tried. Some gun oils are completely gone after a few days of being left on the slide areas.

I still need to do a lot of research but it seems to me that there is little doubt that the CorrosionX is probably a better gun oil than many others. It stays put.

The only question I have is if grease (like a lithium grease) would be just as effective on slide areas. But the grease might slow down the slide operation. I don't like to use grease unless it is required, like on the M1 rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back