Gumout Regane MSDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out the MSDS on Gumout regane products. It appears that the one recommended on this forum, Gumout Regane complete fuel system cleaner, is mostly made up of Kerosene and not Polyether Amines.

Search Gumout Here.

PEA is somewhat proprietary to the company and thus the exact composition shall not be revealed to the general public other than the basic chemical toxicity.

Just like water in your liquid tide washing detergent (water is being used as a carrier of the cleaners); kerosene is widely used in FI cleaner as a carrier of the chemical cleaner. Does it necessarily imply that kero alone has that cleaning ability? Nope. Just like water in your liquid tide: just because it contains over 80% water then does it necessary imply that using water alone you can get your laundry cleaning work done?

Q.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: peterdes
Check out the MSDS on Gumout regane products. It appears that the one recommended on this forum, Gumout Regane complete fuel system cleaner, is mostly made up of Kerosene and not Polyether Amines.

Search Gumout Here.

This was discovered months ago. I don't recommend that product anymore.

Originally Posted By: Quest
PEA is somewhat proprietary to the company and thus the exact composition shall not be revealed to the general public other than the basic chemical toxicity.

Just like water in your liquid tide washing detergent (water is being used as a carrier of the cleaners); kerosene is widely used in FI cleaner as a carrier of the chemical cleaner. Does it necessarily imply that kero alone has that cleaning ability? Nope. Just like water in your liquid tide: just because it contains over 80% water then does it necessary imply that using water alone you can get your laundry cleaning work done?

Q.

I emailed Shell last night and this what they told me.

Quote:
Dear Consumer,

We only have the one Gumout Regane Product. We have several
different Gumout products. As for formula or concentrations, we are
not able to disclose the products used in our Gumout products.
However, we can say that the Gumout Regane has one of the strongest
detergent package (cleaner) available in the Gumout line.

Regards,
Technical Information, sn.
On Tue, 26 May 2009 09:18:19 +0200 you wrote:

>Hello, could you tell me which of the Gumout Regane products contain
the
>highest amount of Polyether Amine?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Quest

Q.

I emailed Shell last night and this what they told me.

Quote:
Dear Consumer,

We only have the one Gumout Regane Product. We have several
different Gumout products. As for formula or concentrations, we are
not able to disclose the products used in our Gumout products.
However, we can say that the Gumout Regane has one of the strongest
detergent package (cleaner) available in the Gumout line.

Regards,
Technical Information, sn.
On Tue, 26 May 2009 09:18:19 +0200 you wrote:

>Hello, could you tell me which of the Gumout Regane products contain
the
>highest amount of Polyether Amine?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Peter

Funny considering there are at least two Regane products now that the High Mileage cleaner is out.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45

Search Gumout Here.

That isn't true by the looks of it. Maybe you should read this thread again.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1253204

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Search Gumout Here.

What is there to read? Regane had PEA in it's product for years, have shown the mixture on msds for years now all of a sudden they want to hide the mixture? Does that make sense? It doesn't have PEA in just like BG44k with it's new formula. I don't and won't use either anymore.
That isn't true by the looks of it. Maybe you should read this thread again.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1253204

Please read that thread. Johnny contacted people who work for Sopus and the Regane formula has not changed. It still contains PEA. Yes, changing the MSDS to convolute their proprietary blend makes perfect sense. Maybe you are not familiar with the corporate world.

Heck, even if it forces your competitors to spend tons of $$$ just verifying nothing changed made the move worth it.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Please read that thread. Johnny contacted people who work for Sopus and the Regane formula has not changed. It still contains PEA. Yes, changing the MSDS to convolute their proprietary blend makes perfect sense. Maybe you are not familiar with the corporate world.

Heck, even if it forces your competitors to spend tons of $$$ just verifying nothing changed made the move worth it.

I'm very familiar with the corporate world. I'm a project engineer for a major consumer products company. If someone emailed me asking about our product(s)even if I knew that the new product isn't better than the old, I wouldn't down my own product; especially over email. At the end of the day, it's all about making a good product thats cheap for the company so you can turn around and make large profit.

This is coming from someone with marketing experience with my job. I could go on & on how marketing terms like "new and improved" or "30% larger than original" really mean to the consumer.

At the end of the day, we both are making valid points but I personally feel that the product has changed especially since they have advertised it for years and now all of a sudden they want to "pull the wool over their competition eyes"...I'm not buying it. I personally won't use it when there are otc products that has PEA listed on the msds.

Last edited:

At the end of the day, we both are making valid points but I personally feel that the product has changed especially since they have advertised it for years and now all of a sudden they want to "pull the wool over their competition eyes"...I'm not buying it. I personally won't use it when there are otc products that has PEA listed on the msds.

You haven't made a valid point. You have made claims that contradict what very credible sources have confirmed.

As an engineer myself, if I no longer had to disclose information that was already out there, I would change my documents and no longer disclose it. That is just common sense when dealing with proprietary formulations/designs/etc.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Who cares if there is kerosene?
Is there reason to believe the 'good' stuff is not in there anymore?

Absolutely not.

I recommend against Regane not because it does or doesn't have PEA today but with the PEA dropped from the MSDS they can reduce the concentration or remove it at any time. They didn't change the MSDS for the competitors all of which know what in there, they changed it for us rubes. They built the brand and now they can rape it to get their money back whenever they want to. It's like an investment come due.

I've moved to Redline SI-1 which is the same price for better stuff so someone else gets the shaft.

Good point. I hate the shaft.
This could be interpreted in other ways!
whistle.gif

From what I read on a house cleaning forum, you can't always trust the MSDS. For example, they aren't required to list ALL ingredients, only those that could be seen as corrosive, explosive, combustible, or "dangerous" (sum it all up into one) in nature.

Which is why many MSDS will not list "Water".....even though they may in fact contain water.

They can use "water" to "fill in the gaps" between the percentages. Since I've noticed more and more MSDS using percentages, i.e.

5-10%
25-35%
etc....
Making it a "guess" as to the exact concoction.

Perhaps it was showing the amines are not "dangerous" and some authoriative figure has allowed them to "hide" the ingredient from the MSDS.....same deal with how some MSDS will use "Proprietary Ingredient" or "Trade-secret"

I think I saw one and/or both of those references on some STP product MSDS.....heh. Where generally the "proprietary" % is in the 5-15% range.

I think it was actually the Gas Treatment, or something....and Kerosene was the "primary" ingredient. But as mentioned earlier, oils, water, kerosene, etc. are used as "carriers" to get the product where it needs to go.

BTW, on a similar(sort of unrelated...but I see it's rising effects in the auto field) note, is anyone else peeved about these "2x concentrate products"? lol....I HATE the concentrated wash detergents...if anything, they just make them more "syrupy" so it's harder to accurately measure the dose from the bottle, to the measuring cup. Well, that's easy, the hard part is getting the measured soap out of the measuring cup lol, it's all syrup-like, and stuck up on the sides....

I read all the hype, I know it's to make packaging smaller, but then you gotta wait 5 minutes for the "dose" to pour out of the cap into the wash machine.

Thinking the affects may be similar with the new smaller (2 fl. oz. if I recall correctly?) Prestone products? Their gas treatment, Fuel Injector/Carb Cleaner, and Octane Booster are now in 2 oz. bottles....haven't tried them, but they gotta have "something" in there to "keep the flow" if you know what I mean.

This image sums it up good:
http://www.stockphotopro.com/photo-thumbs-2/A0E1XK.jpg
lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back