Guess what I found out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new HP DM1 laptop reboots just fine, regardless of whether a smart phone is plugged in or I'm plugged into my car's ECM. You've checked this on multiple HP computers you own?

You've got me curious enought to check again when I get home, though!

Sometimes the bios is set to boot first off a USB before going to boot off the hd. If a viable USB drive is plugged in, it will try to boot and will get confused due to lack of boot sector.

I'd go into the bios and make hdd the primary boot device. If you ever need to reinstall, you can just change it back to DVD/USB priority.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
My new HP DM1 laptop reboots just fine, regardless of whether a smart phone is plugged in or I'm plugged into my car's ECM. You've checked this on multiple HP computers you own?

I have 3, an old ze1230 running Ubuntu - no issue. My work (govt) 6910 running XP Pro Govt - no issue, and the G62 running 7

Turns out, the new G series has a bios bug that enables this. I wonder if other brands suffer the same.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Just found the DM3 suffers the same fate.

Caught me totally by surprise, but I did notice the new HP supplies 5v to the USB port even when sleeping - it has to be off off off. So perhaps the data line is being checked as well....dunno

After one of the recent Windows Vista updates, I noticed a longer boot time; turned off my external DVD writer (USB powered) and Windows immediately booted up. Something tells me one of the latest Windows updates is the culprit....with the whole "USB Dongle" craze I guess....? Yea, most I can figure, is Windows was looking for the boot loader on my dvd writer and was stuck for near 4 minutes. Then I decided to power down the DVD Writer and WHAM, Windows loaded :p

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
This is not a windows problem. Get into the bios and change the boot order so that the primary hard drive is the first device. It won't happen again.

1000x this.

sometimes is a bios issue.

I have my asus motherboard set to boot hdd first do not check other boot devices and it still freezes before post if my droid is plugged in.
if I unplug it.. it will finish post and boot.

Originally Posted By: Rand
sometimes is a bios issue.

I have my asus motherboard set to boot hdd first do not check other boot devices and it still freezes before post if my droid is plugged in.
if I unplug it.. it will finish post and boot.

Yup, I remember this issue with the P4P800 SE board. IIRC, it didn't happen on the P4C800 Deluxe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back