Guard to seek volunteers for border

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Julian
Originally Posted By: MarkC
Originally Posted By: Julian
What is your signature line supposed to mean?
Quote:
The illusion of separateness is the foundation of human suffering.

It's a Buddhist thing, if it needs explanation, you wouldn't get it anyway.
Ponder it and see what you come up with.

So anyway, what are you, a genius or a magician?
In that context, it actually means "genie". It's a line from a movie, like the last couple ones (all from the same movie, matter of fact). The Devil and Dr. Fausto are having a couple drinks at a party and Dr. Fausto asks the Devil if he can make a wish for someone [else] to take care of his assistant, Julia. Fausto gives the Devil a hard time for saying "don't worry" instead of "granted", and then starts to walk away. The Devil asks where he's going and Fausto replies: "Take a [censored] guess, aren't you a genie?" Then the Devil says: "Genies never guess. Those are magicians." It's kind of dry humor.
grin2.gif

The Buddhist thing isn't setting anything off, so I don't want to strain myself. If Buddhist rules are that I have to come up with an answer for myself in order for it to make sense, I think I've already got that part down. I'm curious why people have a fondness for referring to things as "illusions" though if they carry such a punch. "Hallucinogens" can really be a misnomer too in a lot of senses. Just my two cents.

I see.

As far as the Buddhist proverb, it's not really that deep.Human beings, on both an individual and a group basis, often think of themselves as separate, or apart from everything-other people, the cycles of life, etc. This attitude prepares fertile ground for many bad things such as prejudice, war, oppression, abuse of other people, animals, the planet, oneself, etc., as well as a deep loneliness that not many will admit to. It's also an illusion.
Everything is connected, as John Donne wrote "No man is an island...." you know the deal.

At least that my take on the meaning of the words. It's not a koan, nor is it meant to be.

Of course I could be wrong and the real purpose of life may be "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

Out of respect for the lady of the house (and this hijacked thread), suffice it to say I would make a very [censored] Buddhist. On the basis of (what seems to me like) common sense, I reject that there is anything "unreal" which exists. It just doesn't make sense to me otherwise. I had to Google John Donne.
grin2.gif
I've stared a lot of people in the eyes who looked like they got beaten with the stupid stick; I dare say they're "connected", but to what part of reality I don't know. Even people who know how to trip probably look like that occasionally though.
56.gif

Quote:
I reject that there is anything "unreal" which exists.

Spock agrees (sound of funky computer voice saying "correct")

However, good old Rock Hudson went to greet a Martian and his hand passed right through him. He jumped back and said, "Oh, you're not real!". The Martian responded by trying to touch Rock ..and said, "You're not real" ...as though to say "who are you to judge" in an (non) object lesson.

Each and every one of us is mostly space and fields of probability.

Makes it a little bit exciting, doesn't it ?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

It's a ploy to make the mainstream media report that they're sending the guard to control the border, knowing fully well it won't do squat to stop illegal immigration. It's a SMOKE SCREEN. It's about votes. It's about keeping themselves in power, regardless of the consequences.

We could hermetically seal our border in a month flat if we wanted to.

+1
I'm always happy to see that I'm not the only cynic in the group. Except around here we're known as realists.
wink.gif

It's a new season of shows from another network.

I still like my open season, free fire zone, concept..
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow

You mean we are all complex chemical reactions?

I thought that would make you jump off a bridge?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Tempest

wink.gif

Aww, he does care.
56.gif
Anyway, you have to be made up of something one way or another, right?

Originally Posted By: jmac
He is referring to Quantum Physics and the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle.

Sure, but that doesn't affect much at the cellular level. However, if you consider the quantum level to be building blocks...

Last edited:
Quote:
up to 1,500 National Guard volunteers

Does this also include Apache attack-helicopters to stop people trafficking drugs across the border ?

If so, I'm all for it.

I see.

As far as the Buddhist proverb, it's not really that deep.Human beings, on both an individual and a group basis, often think of themselves as separate, or apart from everything-other people, the cycles of life, etc. This attitude prepares fertile ground for many bad things such as prejudice, war, oppression, abuse of other people, animals, the planet, oneself, etc., as well as a deep loneliness that not many will admit to. It's also an illusion.
I think it makes sense if you share in the suffering of other people. Don't confuse that with loneliness though.

Originally Posted By: me
I think it makes sense if you share in the suffering of other people. Don't confuse that with loneliness though.
as well as a deep loneliness that not many
Well, the teachers.
grin2.gif
Or at least they're one kind of person that does something about it (for themselves, if no one else).
56.gif
Is that "Buddhist-y" enough for you? How am I doing?
grin2.gif

You're getting better, but I think you missed the point a bit. The "illusion" of separateness isn't referring to something unreal. A better way to put it might be the mistaken impression of separateness. It's an illusion in that you may believe it to be a fact, but in reality, it's not.
Anyway, I'm not a Buddhist, but many of the proverbs make sense and aren't too far removed from many Judeo-Christian thoughts.
And that's all I'll say about that.

Quote:
It's an illusion in that you may believe it to be a fact, but in reality, it's not.

Perception is reality? Much easier way to say it.

No, not really. The "illusion" of separateness means that there is no separateness, it's a false perception, or more a false belief.
Pretty much the opposite of what you wrote.

Well how come they just picked that one? What about the ABC's and M&M's? Why can't those be "false impressions" too? I think maybe they are! Whoa, I'm trippin hard man!
crazy2.gif
grin2.gif
A lot of people think "illusions" come from things you recognize in yourself (so to speak, things you've experienced), but not in others (or other things)... or vice versa I suppose. See the "Perception and Reality" section of this amazing article.

Originally Posted By: Tempest

wink.gif

If I ever thought that I was simply a chemical reaction, even a complex one, I WOULD jump off a bridge.

But then I wouldn't be having that thought in the first place were it true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back