GTL?

Here are some CAS numbers for GTL base oils that might show up in an SDS.

Machinery Lubrication info:

Attachments

• GTL Technology Base Oils.pdf
    35.2 KB · Views: 54
Just updated the list to include GTL.

Which one do you prefer, VHVI GTL or fully synthetic lubricants (PAO & Esters) and why?

One should prefer an oil that carries the documented performance of a stringent manufacturer approval or license that's either required for your vehicle or desired for a specific application.
Can we trust those documents? I mean it's merely like a label, and label can be wrote what manufacturer want their product to be read by consumers, with marketing approach I think, e.g: Eneos Asia labeled their product as full synthetic when their product as cheap as mineral oil.

Are esters "top of the line" per se when it comes to synthetics?

Esters (specific ones) have the best high heat handling, that's why they are used in jet turbine oils. That doesn't mean that this is a benefit in your more pedestrian applications though.

PAO has exceptional oxidation resistance and the best cold temperature performance (no wax). This is why you typically see it in the 0W-xx oils, particularly the ones with the best CCS/MRV numbers.

But of course esters are polar and can swell seals. PAO's are very dry, have extremely poor additive solubility and basically no polarity. This is why we do base oil blends, to balance out these traits and this is often when lower group bases are chosen because they don't have these issues, or at least not at the level experienced with these bases.

Esters (specific ones) have the best high heat handling, that's why they are used in jet turbine oils. That doesn't mean that this is a benefit in your more pedestrian applications though.

PAO has exceptional oxidation resistance and the best cold temperature performance (no wax). This is why you typically see it in the 0W-xx oils, particularly the ones with the best CCS/MRV numbers.

But of course esters are polar and can swell seals. PAO's are very dry, have extremely poor additive solubility and basically no polarity. This is why we do base oil blends, to balance out these traits and this is often when lower group bases are chosen because they don't have these issues, or at least not at the level experienced with these bases.
In that case, there would be no products come with 100% PAO right?

Can you explain, how much percentage of PAO consider as fully synthetic lubricants under European regulations? And what about American regulations?

Can we trust those documents? I mean it's merely like a label, and label can be wrote what manufacturer want their product to be read by consumers, with marketing approach I think, e.g: Eneos Asia labeled their product as full synthetic when their product as cheap as mineral oil.

Do you have a link or evidence substantiating that claim?

Do you have a link or evidence substantiating that claim?
unfortunately no, I do in doubt after having conversations with a few of lubricants distributor, this brand said that brand falsely labeled their brand as fully synthetic, or promoting their product through price positioning, when that product supposedly sold with lower price et cetera, et cetera.

Can you explain, how much percentage of PAO consider as fully synthetic lubricants under European regulations? And what about American regulations?

I found the German (the guidelines only apply in Germany, the rest of the EU does what everybody else does) guidelines somewhere and posted them on here, it was higher than I thought (I figured it was >50%) at like 75%? I'd have to try and it find it, but I was surprised.

The US has no real regulation. Group III at a reasonable concentration allows for a product to be called synthetic, as does a majority Group II+ product with some Group III, since Group II+ is so close to Group III performance.

It comes back to the VI of the base oil and as Group III and Group II+ have been improved, the gap in VI between them and PAO has narrowed. Yes, PAO will beat them on both oxidation resistance and cold temp performance, but these bases are MUCH cheaper to formulate with and if you can get 90% of the performance at 50% of the cost, it makes a pretty good case for going that route.

Mobil still uses PAO (and of course AN's and POE, probably more broadly) in some of their oils to meet their own internal performance targets, and this is in applications that others don't use PAO, so, for whatever reason, they must set the bar a bit higher for themselves. Being one of the world's largest producers of PAO as well as Esters and AN's probably helps though, as access to those components would be less expensive.

Companies like Ravenol, that sell PAO-based products (like the SSL I'm running) would be buying it on the market, and would of course need to blend it like already discussed to make a product that has good solubility and doesn't negatively impact seals.

I found the German (the guidelines only apply in Germany, the rest of the EU does what everybody else does) guidelines somewhere and posted them on here, it was higher than I thought (I figured it was >50%) at like 75%? I'd have to try and it find it, but I was surprised.

The US has no real regulation. Group III at a reasonable concentration allows for a product to be called synthetic, as does a majority Group II+ product with some Group III, since Group II+ is so close to Group III performance.

It comes back to the VI of the base oil and as Group III and Group II+ have been improved, the gap in VI between them and PAO has narrowed. Yes, PAO will beat them on both oxidation resistance and cold temp performance, but these bases are MUCH cheaper to formulate with and if you can get 90% of the performance at 50% of the cost, it makes a pretty good case for going that route.

Mobil still uses PAO (and of course AN's and POE, probably more broadly) in some of their oils to meet their own internal performance targets, and this is in applications that others don't use PAO, so, for whatever reason, they must set the bar a bit higher for themselves. Being one of the world's largest producers of PAO as well as Esters and AN's probably helps though, as access to those components would be less expensive.

Companies like Ravenol, that sell PAO-based products (like the SSL I'm running) would be buying it on the market, and would of course need to blend it like already discussed to make a product that has good solubility and doesn't negatively impact seals.
thank you so much, you help me clear my hasty mind right now :D at this time I can get conclusion, if a product can use for high mileage it could be have much PAO than I thought

Back