GTL Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an update from Lube Report on Shell's GTL plant in Qatar:

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001681514.cfm?x=bgCRnjw,bd28TMM

An interesting quote from the article:

"Asked what distinguishes GTL from Group III and other high quality base oils, Wedlock said, “It’s hard to answer today before the product is in use, but the technology is different. GTL starts with very high viscosity feed and downgrades it to make base oils. Volumes will be significant, so the market will not be short on high quality Group III.” Wedlock declined to address cost, but added, “I don’t think we’ll see massive overhangs of GTL.”

GTL quality can be adjusted by changing yield, the same as with mineral Group IIIs, Wedlock noted. “But there’s no point in quality give-away. You need a fit-for-purpose base oil.”

Tom NJ

Depending upon distribution of the gtl product, a significant amount of hydrocracking can be necessary. The "alpha" parameter of the catalyst and resultant reactor design/operation plays a big part. I'd imagine the entire reactor design may vary greatly depending upon final product.

That plant has been a huge money pit, hopefully it produces some god products... Then again, I'd prefer a domestic plant.

I thought this was supposed to be free oil (no, I really didn't) ..but apparently the feedstocks were otherwise flared off.

They had to make the plant a money pit. If they didn't employ Hollywood accounting it would radically upset the entire market.

The major output of a GTL plant is fuel, and this dictates the economics of the project. Lubricant base oil is almost a by-product, although they would call it a co-product, and will be priced by market factors rather than cost of production.

Tom NJ

Quote:
Lubricant base oil is almost a by-product, although they would call it a co-product,

I tend to look at most of our domestic lube production as "useful value added waste streams of fuel production". You can't store it ..and you can't just throw it away, so you introduce it into a consumption stream that gets some utility out of it before you burn the stuff up as low grade fuel.

..but find the concept of GTL fascinating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back