Growing mint indoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

While down in DC, I found some mint growing wildly (in open sunlight) and took some so that I could grow it. My hotel room had poor lighting through the window, but I put the mint into a jar of water and it did quite well.

I planted it into a pot with soil on Wednesday night, hoping that it would be happy in soil rather than in water. This morning I look at it and the plant is wilting and getting very floppy and downward pointing.

I dont know what I did wrong... considering that it liked living in water only, I cant imagine that the little water I spritzed onto the soil has overwatered it. The soil is loosely packed, but not too loose and not too firm.

I used scotts potting soil from the home depot - it seems decent with good water retention and good organic matter.

Any suggestions? I know its just mint I found somwehere, but Ive always wanted some mint to grow in my apartment...

Thanks,

JMH

The roots just were not able to support the growth yet. I worked in a greenhouse and we use a root stimulating powder on a plant cutting and then it gets stuck in something similar to those peat pots. They are then kept relitively wet and watered with a root stimulating product. Also they are placed on warm surfaces.

So adapting to your situation. Next time use a smaller plant that the roots can support and water it with a root stimulating product. They also need warmth.

In your situation..next time use a smaller plant. Even cut it back. Transplanting is somewhat hard on plants and just going from soil to water back into soil was just too much for it. Just rambling here though. You might cut it back, give it as much light/warmth as possible and pray.
smile.gif

Do you have any plants still in water??

Go find an herb shop somewhere and see what they have.

I used to grow mint back home. Once you get it going, it will grow like a weed.
I had peppermint, spearmint, applemint, a kind that smelled like a York Peppermint Patty....
Good luck.

Sorry, I can't comment on getting mint to grow...my problem is stopping it. (It's a bit warmer here 'though).

To mint lovers, try some vietnamese "hot mint" it's not a 'lation to the true mints, but is a bit minty, and a bit firey, which makes meals a little interesting.

Mint is easy to grow,just take a cutting and put it in a glass of water on the window sill for a couple of weeks...put in the ground when root hairs grow.They like wet feet,so we always had some under our outside tap...also under my watertank overflow....pity we never had enough rain to overflow the tank.I planted some yesterday where our neighbours shed spouting drips over our fence - a nice mint bush is better than the hassle of asking him to fix the spouting.

quote:

Originally posted by oilyriser:
Hopefully, JHZR2's palnts have now been restored to mint condition.

har har, you're as bad as me with the eyeball jokes as an optometrist :-D

Good info on the mint, maybe Ill try to grow some!

Once my nieghbors grew some "mint" in their bedroom.

But when the meter reader saw the aluminuim foil over the window and sudden spike in electricity useage, the local drug interdiction team payed a visit!
grin.gif

"Once my nieghbors grew some "mint" in their bedroom.

But when the meter reader saw the aluminuim foil over the window and sudden spike in electricity useage, the local drug interdiction team payed a visit!"

What, no real crime in IN?
dunno.gif

JHZR2, you better whatch your back!

lol!

Some of the mint that I left in water grew hairs, but the upper portions have turned brown. The stuff I planted and was wilting was getting a little better, as I kept it wet and out of the sun... we shall see!

Im going to try and get a little bit more mint!

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back