Groups of Three Plane Crash Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The news media always reports plane crashes in groups of three, each separated by about a week. Why is this done? When did this tradition start?

Maybe they're spreading important stories out to sell more papers / improve ratings.

Nothing like a good disaster to keep the masses glued to CNN for hours.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Things tend to come in threes.

Three Musketeers
Three Stooges
Three Blind Mice
(Rub a Dub Dub) Three Men in a Tub

It may be that after three stories on a topic the masses get burned out and want something new, so the media gives the/m asses what they want.

It's highly ironic that all three have been because of the same thing: Stalls or about to be in a stall (the Hudson plane was gliding) due to a lack of power brought on by ice/birds/who knows on the Turkish 737-800.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Crashes come is 3s see above.

I still say, buncombie!
Quote:
sometimes things happen in threes or fours or fives.
Plenty of slush in their analysis, including counting several crashes as one because of the related 911 cause.

Quote:
Plenty of slush in their analysis,

Sure. The time compression criteria is arbitrary. "Within 10 days". Change it up to 20 or 5 as you see fit to form the "3".

Hmmm ..if I use 10 days it will allow me to ..

I say it's "random regularity" (admittedly an oxymoron) that are out of phase with each other in frequency or length.

2000 out of adjustment wind up watches will all read the same time .....sooner or later ..eventually.

Last edited:
In my driving around greater Beantown , I have noted that most accidents caused by the traffic flow accordian-ing involve 3 cars.

Yes. Since the "3" quota has been met, they can be ignored. Time to move on to another news3 fad.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
There should be a Plane Crash Channel, just like the Weather Channel.

The Disaster Channel. Then it can take in everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back