group IV OILS

Oil groups don’t matter anywhere near as much as meeting the required specs, changing your oil when the manufacturer says, and using good oil filters and even better air filters.

It’s only after you’ve modified the original engine or intend to ignore the recommended operational maintenance that oil groups begin to impact results in a manner that exceeds testing noise.

I was thinking of putting one of those "Here, let me Google that for you" links in. But it seems like pointless work...
ef4c2102b571e6fec1f1c205ff5cfdd5.gif

Think of Group III as the bridge between group II and IV. It has many of the good attributes of group II conventional such as additive response and solubility while also having some of the good attributes of group IV such as pressure-viscosity coefficient, shear stability, and low volatility. You get the best of both worlds without having to blend multiple base oil groups together and dealing with compromises. Group III can't hold a light to PAO's cold temperature flow, but if you're never cranking an engine in sub-zero temperatures, that doesn't really matter. Group III will almost always produce a higher HTHS result than PAO, which is why A3/B4 5W-30 oils will be group III to achieve the ≥3.5 cP HTHS.

At the end of the day, note that the base oil is just one part of a completed oil formula. A high quality base oil with a junk additive package is still a junk engine oil. Unless you're a formulator (or just have no life... like me), focus less on what an oil is and more on what an oil does.

How many times has this been posted?

...and will be posted many more times to come. Have you did a search for this topic on here? The chaos (and bickering) of results can be a bit daunting for someone new to this niche of science. I speak from experience. We were all new here once.

Group III will almost always produce a higher HTHS result than PAO, which is why A3/B4 5W-30 oils will be group III to achieve the ≥3.5 cP HTHS.

Yes, will only add this: cost wise if a grp III oil can get you there it will always be the preferred choice over PAO, and for A3/B4 and C3 oils with a 5W winter rating Grp III certainly can.

The reason PAO oils will result in lower HTHS is because of the significantly lower density. Density is part of the dynamic viscosity vs the kinematic viscosity as typically referred to. Just added this as it likely isn't clear for people new to this.

Group 4 (IV) oils are probably blended in to a lot of oils, as they are all formulated blends. Same way you cant have a 100% Group V oils.... has been discussed in various ways.

Still, one should ignore the sanctimonious replies this topic sure does seem to bring it out of a lot of people. Honestly.

...and will be posted many more times to come. Have you did a search for this topic on here? The chaos (and bickering) of results can be a bit daunting for someone new to this niche of science. I speak from experience. We were all new here once.

Talk about it. lol

I think we are on the same page! Great reply, by the way.

Some have been new many times.

I used to admin a local car forum. We had someone we called "the Drama Llama" because he would rage anytime somebody disagreed with him or posted anything he didn't like, and do so in quite spectacular form. He also talked a lot about the llamas on his family farm, hence the nickname. He'd get banned, create a new account, get banned again, and so on. I eventually reinstated his original account but with a picture of a goofy looking llama as his avatar and his username changed to Drama Llama. Every time he'd make a rude comment, we'd go in and change his comment to a nursery rhyme we made up.

"I'm a little drama llama, woe be unto you.
Why I'm temperamental, I haven't a clue.
I start a bunch of drama, no feeling withdrawn.
All the admins here just want me f****** gone!
"

There was more to it, but that's all I remember. He eventually left for good.

Think of Group III as the bridge between group II and IV. It has many of the good attributes of group II conventional such as additive response and solubility while also having some of the good attributes of group IV such as pressure-viscosity coefficient, shear stability, and low volatility. You get the best of both worlds without having to blend multiple base oil groups together and dealing with compromises. Group III can't hold a light to PAO's cold temperature flow, but if you're never cranking an engine in sub-zero temperatures, that doesn't really matter. Group III will almost always produce a higher HTHS result than PAO, which is why A3/B4 5W-30 oils will be group III to achieve the ≥3.5 cP HTHS.

At the end of the day, note that the base oil is just one part of a completed oil formula. A high quality base oil with a junk additive package is still a junk engine oil. Unless you're a formulator (or just have no life... like me), focus less on what an oil is and more on what an oil does.

I used to admin a local car forum. We had someone we called "the Drama Llama" because he would rage anytime somebody disagreed with him or posted anything he didn't like, and do so in quite spectacular form. He also talked a lot about the llamas on his family farm, hence the nickname. He'd get banned, create a new account, get banned again, and so on. I eventually reinstated his original account but with a picture of a goofy looking llama as his avatar and his username changed to Drama Llama. Every time he'd make a rude comment, we'd go in and change his comment to a nursery rhyme we made up.

"I'm a little drama llama, woe be unto you.
Why I'm temperamental, I haven't a clue.
I start a bunch of drama, no feeling withdrawn.
All the admins here just want me f****** gone!
"

There was more to it, but that's all I remember. He eventually left for good.
We have posters like that here too, although it depends on if they have bad days or not (it seems.)

It is also not possible to be new more than once.

When asking a question about base oils and getting posts about posters and "Well I wonder if the search function was used" seems pretty unhelpful. I still think you have a great answer about how Group 3 is a bridge between Group 2 and 4, that should be pinned somewhere.

Just my two cents here. And I think this topic (more than others?) brings out some that want to wax sanctimonious about base oil this and that, like it is some kind of cardinal sin to get it even the least bit wrong. Perfection is demanded?

Paging @High Performance Lubricants if he would like to participate. Can learn a lot from him.

(By the way, on lesser forums they call that a "Rage quit." This forum has EVERY forum on the Internet beat. Just sayin.)

Great posit, @RDY4WAR !!

We have posters like that here too, although it depends on if they have bad days or not (it seems.)

When asking a question about base oils and getting posts about posters and "Well I wonder if the search function was used" seems pretty unhelpful. I still think you have a great answer about how Group 3 is a bridge between Group 2 and 4, that should be pinned somewhere.

Just my two cents here. And I think this topic (more than others?) brings out some that want to wax sanctimonious about base oil this and that, like it is some kind of cardinal sin to get it even the least bit wrong. Perfection is demanded?

Paging @High Performance Lubricants if he would like to participate. Can learn a lot from him.

(By the way, on lesser forums they call that a "Rage quit." This forum has EVERY forum on the Internet beat. Just sayin.)

Great posit, @RDY4WAR !!

The thing about someone being new more than once is referring to repeat users that have left (for whatever reason) and return to the board under a new name. That’s the “new” part considering that most of the time they do not voluntarily disclose their previous user name(s). It seems as if they are drawn here no matter what.

Bad days and good days can be caused by lots of things.

Last edited:

Great posit, @RDY4WAR !!
There’s not a GTL I would trip over to buy a Grp IV/V oil; I’m a PP/PUP fan that has also bought Ravenol/HPL/Amsoil/Redline… and my vehicles are thoroughly exposed in 35+ mph winds in the winter plus the ambient.

If I’m going ~5k on OCIs whether it’s my old Subies, my ‘20 TC, or my ‘19 EcoBoost- if I change the oil at reasonable intervals, have good oil filters and great air filters, and err on the safe side (with 2-3 min idle warmups when below 0*F) I understand there is no objective difference between oils; but there is definitely a subjective one.

I “feel” bougie when there’s HPL in my sump, and Ravenol/Amsoil or the other “true” syn oils are in, but all the UOAs and $$$ oils perform statistically similar between the lot. The hard reality is that if I follow 5-6k OCI/FCI as long as the oil meets or exceeds the MC requirements, the engine will far outlast my likely ownership.

Frequency of maintenance almost always trumps quality of maintenance.

Back