Group III+

If you browse the current QS Synthetic MSDS, you'll discover they are now 90% Fischer-Tropsch (GTL [ GrpIII+ ])

Below was added text after original post:
Whereas Pennzoil Platinum still shows - "Interchangeable low viscosity base oil (
The Pennzoil Platinum may very well still be GTL (and i'm sure it is) but i wonder why they choose different terminology.

Last edited:
What exactly is a grp III+? Is it a more refined grp III?
The diff is like standing under a tree when it falls on you, or not standing under the tree when it does not fall.

The diff is simple
Untitled-1.png

I’m guessing this is referring to Pennzoil Platinum, as PUP isn’t even Dexos approved. I took that crap out(PUP 5w-30) as soon as I started seeing oil leaking and hearing the rattling in the upper rpm range. Project Farm duped me.

Mobil 1 all the way for me.
Same. PUP made my engine leak too. Switched to (non high mileage) QSUD and the leak eventually stopped.

10-30% PAO? That's disappointing for an oil that costs that much. Makes M1 EP 0w-20 that much more of a bargain I guess.
I think Amsoil is just using those pao % figures to let you know that they don't have to divulge their formula. Kind of like playing with our heads a bit and to fulfill their obligation as far as an msds is concerned. As far as group 3+ goes, isn't it just a question of having a higher VI to get a 3+ rating?

I think Amsoil is just using those pao % figures to let you know that they don't have to divulge their formula. Kind of like playing with our heads a bit and to fulfill their obligation as far as an msds is concerned. As far as group 3+ goes, isn't it just a question of having a higher VI to get a 3+ rating?
In that case, so could Mobil1.

If you browse the current QS Synthetic MSDS, you'll discover they are now 90% Fischer-Tropsch (GTL [ GrpIII+ ])

Below was added text after original post:
Whereas Pennzoil Platinum still shows - "Interchangeable low viscosity base oil (
The Pennzoil Platinum may very well still be GTL (and i'm sure it is) but i wonder why they choose different terminology.

Very good post wemay...

Imagine your child coming home and telling you their math test grade... 0-90%...

:LOL:

Of course no would or should or required to give out exact percentages. Obviously that is not the purpose of a sds sheet. That's a OSHA document and safety document for first responders.

Back