Group III syn blends

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you guys could give me a hand on this one, I would appreciate it...

I'm about to start my first Auto-RX rinse phase, and need to find a decent Group III oil. I've noticed that certain "synthetic blends" are as inexpensive (if not lower in price) than major-brand dinos. For example, the Conoco-Phillips trio of Motorcraft, TropArtic, and Kendall, are all synthetic blends that are often cheaper (at least at Walmart) than Valvoline, Castrol, Pennzoil, Quaker State, etc. dino oils.

Are the synthetic blends that I mentioned in the Group III category? Are all synthetic blends Group III for that matter? I want to get the best rinse possible, but would like a blend to help a bit with the cold winter months looming closer. Thanks.

I want to remind everybody I AM NOT AN EXPERT. Now since we got it right I will give you my "opinion".

Go with PP if you want a group 3. Good UOA's, cheap, and available. Go by your manual for weight. Blend, do you mean Semi Synthetic? I would go with the Group III "Fully Synthetic". Valvoline synthetic is group 3/PAO. But you said group 3 and PP seems to be the best group 3 as for wear numbers.

Now...I'm handing the floor over to _______ He's an expert.

I'm not an expert either, so I'm guessing the synthetic component of the blend is Group III and the rest of the oil is Group II. *shrugs*

I thought you were suppose to use dino for cleaning and rinse phase when using auto rx. Then you can go to whatever oil you want to run. I could be wrong though. There is a first time for everything. LOL....

Thanks for the replies so far. I checked the Kendall website link, but still could not find any info on the base oils in the Synthetic Blend. Anyone know about Kendall, Motorcraft, or TropArtic and whether it is Group III?

Originally Posted By: tsmay51
I thought you were suppose to use dino for cleaning and rinse phase when using auto rx. Then you can go to whatever oil you want to run. I could be wrong though. There is a first time for everything. LOL....

That's what I thought too, come to find everyone is doing it wrong because on the autoRX website it advises to use a Grp III lubricant when using their product.

I think what the website means is to use Group III if you need to use a synthetic (turbo, supercharger, owners manual, etc.). Everyone else should use regular dino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, if you want all Group III, you'll have to go with a full synthetic. But that's the first time I've heard someone say you have to use a Group III oil for the rinse phase.

See? That's what I mean. I thought most dinos weren't Group III. But from what I can tell on the Auto-RX website, they are recommending Group III for clean and rinse phases. I just want to get the best rinse possible, so that's why I'm asking about these "synthetic blends."

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
I think what the website means is to use Group III if you need to use a synthetic (turbo, supercharger, owners manual, etc.). Everyone else should use regular dino.

i think this is correct. almost positive.

thats why i'm using mobil clean 5000 for my A-Rx clean & rinse phases.

You don't have to use a G-III base for an ARX rinse, but you can. G-IV and V bases can be problematic according to some over at ARX.

The other issue is to avoid polarized components in any oil, which ARX claims will interfere with the rinse chemistry.

That is why Frank usually recommends to keep it simple on the rinse oil chemistry.

Perhaps the better ARX rinse approach for a difficult lubricating environment is a basic conventional formula changed more frequently. Two 1,500 runs during the rinse will not compromise the treatment. And I don't know of any conventional that can't go 1,500, even in a hot turbo.

From the auto-rx site

Step 1 - See notes on choosing an engine oil for use with Auto-Rx®. It is preferable to use conventional (Group III) motor oil for this application. If your engine has a supercharger, turbocharger or the manufacturer recommends that you only use synthetic motor oil please choose a Group III motor oil to avoid competing chemistry

Notes On Choosing An Engine Oil For Use With Auto-Rx®

Auto-Rx® works best with conventional engine oil, not synthetic oil. This is especially true for vehicles with high mileage, sludge or rotating seal leak problems. Conventional motor oil is occasionally referred to as "Group III" or "mineral" motor oil, and is generally the least expensive motor oil available. Conventional engine oils include Valvoline Conventional, SuperTech (available at Wal-Mart), and Coastal (available at AutoZone). Semi-synthetic engine oils can be substituted for conventional oils due to their Group III synthetic base stock content.

For vehicles under 100,000 miles and in good condition a Group III synthetic oil is acceptable for use with Auto-Rx®. Group III synthetic oils include Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Syntec, and Valvoline Synpower.

Use of high-mileage engine oils should be avoided during all Clean and Rinse Phases. However, high-mileage engine oils can be used while following an Auto-Rx® maintenance plan.

If your engine has a supercharger, turbocharger or the manufacturer recommends that you only use synthetic motor oil please choose a Group III motor oil to avoid competing chemistry

Always choose the engine oil weight (viscosity) that your engine’s manufacturer recommends.

Originally Posted By: erogers
If you guys could give me a hand on this one, I would appreciate it...

I'm about to start my first Auto-RX rinse phase, and need to find a decent Group III oil. I've noticed that certain "synthetic blends" are as inexpensive (if not lower in price) than major-brand dinos. For example, the Conoco-Phillips trio of Motorcraft, TropArtic, and Kendall, are all synthetic blends that are often cheaper (at least at Walmart) than Valvoline, Castrol, Pennzoil, Quaker State, etc. dino oils.

Are the synthetic blends that I mentioned in the Group III category? Are all synthetic blends Group III for that matter? I want to get the best rinse possible, but would like a blend to help a bit with the cold winter months looming closer. Thanks.

You *coulddd* try the CP product I have on the link below. Just click it like you have click-itis!! This product is of Motorcraft, Kendall etc caliber but without the price tag of even those..it rocks and doesn't make my oil pump all buggy. Loving this thread..just loving it..

Last edited:
It's hard to find Conoco brand oil in my area. Conoco-Phillips is represented in my area by a multitude of Phillips 66 stations. There might be some Conoco stations downstate, but I'm not sure. So in my area, it's just TropArtic, Kendall, and Motorcraft oils. Thanks for the information, though.

I think I'm going to use Shell Rotella T 10W-30 for my rinse phase. It seems like it would do well for me during the winter, and it's one dino oil I shouldn't have to be too worried about using for extended drain intervals, although I will change the filter half-way through the rinse. I've had many cars use 10W-30 (instead of 5W-30, 5W-20) during the harsh winter months here, and they've managed to survive. We'll see, I guess.

Trop Arctic, Kendall, Motorcraft are all made by Conoco, and are all going to be VERY similar.

Buy whatever one is cheapest of the group, and rest easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back