Grit found in filter. Is this a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So our 2004 Volvo XC70 has been on full synthetic oil(German Castrol and Mobil 1 0w40)since 45,000 miles and it is now at 125,000 miles. Based on that I would think my engine is clean inside. I keep finding this black carbon like grit in my filters(Mann and Mahle). Is this anything to be concerned about or a possible problem? The first two pictures are the most recent oil change. It is a bit hard to see but you there is this crud built up on the bottom are of the filter. The 3 and 4th pictures are of an oil change a while back. Same stuff but seems to be more this time around:

Gasoline is not the cleanest fuel. Despite efforts to promote complete combustion it still produces carbon deposits in an engine. Those break off and are captured by the filter. Unless your filter is jam packed with them then I wouldn't worry about it.

If you disassemble that engine you will find carbon deposits on the pistons, combustion chambers and the valves.

Not sure about German Castrol but I would not expect to see that with prolonged usage of any M1 oil. Wonder if you have a PCV hose disintegrating somewhere.

Pretty norma for engines with more than 50k miles. So, the 15min flush avoids this crude, but isn't THAT needed.
That's coming from the engine block and internals;(

Last edited:
Seems like that era Volvo has known issues with the PCV system clogging. If you have not already addressed the PCV issue, then it might be a good place to start.

Originally Posted By: OPR4H
What's the average oci on this engine?

5,000 on the dot since 45,000 when we bought it. Did a full Auto Rx cleaning and flush cycle at that time. Was on German castrol till about 25-30k miles ago and now on M1 0w40 for the past 25-30k miles changed every 5k.

Originally Posted By: TopFuel
Check your cam chain tensioner.

What exactly is that and how do I check it? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Chris B.

Your car has a timing belt. It would be very difficult to check the chain tensioner...

This engine is known for PCV system clogging. That stuff looks like the gunk that plugs up the oil trap box on the front of the block. If you're lucky, then you're catching it all in the filter. If not, and you're like 99.9% of Volvo owners, you've got a PCV system replacement in your near future.

Last edited:
Check the PCV system at idle and boost conditions using a very low pressure gauge measuring in inches of water pressure. Threshold for service is less than -0.2 kPa = -0.8"H2O. Slightly vacuum. Our 2004 XC-70 with new PCV system produces - 2.0 inch water vacuum. I have used only synthetic Mobil1 or Pennzoil Platinum for the last 40,000 miles, since purchased at 91000 miles. The grit from the filter or can at oil change would not cover a postage stamp.

High crankcase pressure will eventually cause oil to blow out the rear main seal, as many a Volvo owner found out when their clutches got oiled and started slipping. There was an anti backfire screen in the Volvo oil trap PVC system which would get blocked with a tar like substance no matter how careful owners were with oil changes back in the 80s. I figured it out BEFORE replacing the rear main, which was fine after the pressure problem was corrected, and after a bit the clutch stopped slipping. Funny, my pedestrian Toyota PVC valves don't give me that kind of trouble.

Last edited:
My guess is.
Burnt fuel/soot/carbon is blowing past the rings and entering the oil and it's being caught in the oil filter. When the filer is in bypass mode, the oil flows to one end of the filter in order to get to the bypass valve. It carries more of the debris to one end of the filter where you are finding it now.

Does this engine consume oil?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Chris B.

Your car has a timing belt. It would be very difficult to check the chain tensioner...

This engine is known for PCV system clogging. That stuff looks like the gunk that plugs up the oil trap box on the front of the block. If you're lucky, then you're catching it all in the filter. If not, and you're like 99.9% of Volvo owners, you've got a PCV system replacement in your near future.

Thanks Astro! So how can I tell if my PCV system is clogged and needs replacement? What would I expect to pay a local independent mechanic to do the work? It is probably over my head.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
My guess is.
Burnt fuel/soot/carbon is blowing past the rings and entering the oil and it's being caught in the oil filter. When the filer is in bypass mode, the oil flows to one end of the filter in order to get to the bypass valve. It carries more of the debris to one end of the filter where you are finding it now.

Does this engine consume oil?

Not much at all....like 8-12oz in 5,000 miles.

This is a result of using mineral oil at Volvo's suggested 7.5k OCI's. Turbo charger, 6 quart sump and an oil cooler.. and Volvo wanted us to use dino!

The Volvo in my signature has been on a synthetic diet for about 2.5 years.. 2 years being nothing but M1 0w40. It still puts grit somewhat like this in the filter, but has definitely shown improvement. I've been stuck on 6 month (~4k OCI's) for this reason ever since. Last oil change, I allowed it go get well above 5k and the filter looked pretty much like this.. This was after the PCV replacement too if that matters. We shall see how the next filter looks.

Thankfully, the PCV actually looked functional compared to most I see on the web. No clogged holes, tubes etc. The nastiest hose was the one running from the valve cover through the manifold to the flame trap. It was actually full of carbon whereas the rest was that traditional yellow crankcase goo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hessam
when was the last the time the air filter was replaced? do you have OEM air filter, or some K&N after market variety?

I use Napa Gold air filters changed ever 20,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back