Griots BOSS Compounds and Polishes, recommendations?

It's been a while since I've done full car corrections... probably 10 years when I used a PC 7427, LC orange/white pads and Pinnacle XMT (1 thru 3) product.

Lately I was polishing up some wood trim pieces on my Mercedes and those "old" products with 3" pad on pistol air DA just weren't "cutting" it. Ran to WM and picked up Meg's UC, which with a orange pad really enhanced the pieces. It didn't remove all the scratches, but it took of a lot after 3 passes and finished out great IME.

Now I'm thinking of doing the car... looking into a G9 w/ 5" backing. The BOSS "creams" seem to have great reviews. Any experiences, with the Fast Cut and Correcting Cream? How would it compare to Meg UC?

Now pads, I'm thinking for sure an orange in Griots or LC. I've seen recommendations on B&S eurofiber pads or Megs MF pads to increase cut. Is it worth trying MF ones or will those likely need 2nd correction step prior to LSP? Shooting for a 1 step, on my '11 E550 in Palladium Silver.

I know after lately trying the XMT compound and then using Meg's UC... it was a BIG different in performance in my eyes. You could work it longer, cut more, finished better and dusted less.

FCC is excellent. Very comparable to M105 but with a more modern user experience.

Thanks. I had a detailer do our E350 wagon (iridium silver, light) and he noted the paint was very hard... I'll be tackling this on our E550. How would you rate the cut of Meguiars UC vs. FCC or CC?

I did the areas around the handles, since I removed the factory chrome inserts and after 3 applications (3-4 passes ea) with an orange pad on a pistol DA still left some deeper swirls.

The detailer used a combo or Rupes BF and MF pads... not sure on the compound, but it was a 1 step and finished off with a ceramic coating. I know you a million ways to get to the same end result...

Fast Correcting Cream and Perfecting Cream are awesome.

Pick up Griot's Fast Correcting Foam (White) and Perfecting (yellow) pads in 5" along with the 5" backing plate for the G9.

Thanks. I had a detailer do our E350 wagon (iridium silver, light) and he noted the paint was very hard... I'll be tackling this on our E550. How would you rate the cut of Meguiars UC vs. FCC or CC?
FCC is definitely higher on the cut scale than UC IME. Never used CC

I enjoy the Urofiber and Meg's MF pads. They don't finish out as well on some paints.
I somewhat refuse to finish out paints using fiber type pads (wool or MF), but I recognize that certain light colored "hard" paints may be an exception to the rule.

I enjoy the Urofiber and Meg's MF pads. They don't finish out as well on some paints.

Yea, I guess I won't know till I try. Would you say the white griots fast cut pads finish out better?

I'm trying to to go in too deep, keep it "simple" and get a reasonable finish in 1 step on a DD.

Yea, I guess I won't know till I try. Would you say the white griots fast cut pads finish out better?

I'm trying to to go in too deep, keep it "simple" and get a reasonable finish in 1 step on a DD.

It would all depend on the paint. 3D One and Urofiber pads are my go-to. I typically start there and adjust.

The white foam Fast Correcting Pads are STIFF. Their orange Correcting Pad is a more all-rounder. It's very versatile.

somewhat refuse to finish out paints using fiber type pads (wool or MF), but I recognize that certain light colored "hard" paints may be an exception to the rule.

That's why I preach the test spot. The Meguiar's DMF pads finished flawlessly on the last Ram I corrected.

Ended up getting a Griots G8 and G9, Boss creams (fast correcting, correcting, perfecting), Uro-Tec (maroon and yellow) and Uro-Fiber pads. I must say, using the G8 was a nice experience... last time I used a PC my hands were numb.

I did a few test areas on the trunk lid since I was doing repair to the license plate mount. Using the G8, in the plate recess area, the following combos all on speed 5, light-medium pressure, 4-5 passes, maybe a 12x12" area or less.

• maroon Urotec pads with correcting cream
  • maroon Urotec pads with fast correcting cream
  • Uro-Fiber pad with fast correcting cream
First combo removed most of the light swirls. Second combo removed all swirls. Third combo removal all swirls and maybe some light scratches. I was expecting more cut from the Uro-Fiber and FCC...

Not having a whole lot of experience in paint correction... managing exceptions is difficult. I'm still finding random scratches, not fingernail deep, which don't appear very deep to me. When I do the trunk lid top, I'll give Uro-Fiber another try, 5" with the G9 this time.

I should add all the combos finished out fine in my book an metallic gray finish as 1-steps.

Before
P1010625.JPG
P1010630.JPG

After
P1010634.JPG
P1010636.JPG

Great work. I really like griots. I’ve used FCC and correcting cream with great success on several cars, by far my favorite compound/polishes. And I’ve used quite a few. I also owned flex 3401 but sold it and bought G9 - great da for I intend to use it. On top of it - excellent customer service. Can’t go wrong with that. Make sure to post final pictures!

I ordered some B&S blue cutting pads... not sure if that's a "good" decision. Maybe I should just be happy with the results of the maroon and FCC.

Back