Greetings from a new member! I would like advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone here at BITOG! I've been reading throughout this forum and see that there are many knowledgeable members. I'm confident that I'll learn a thing or two here (I'll have to start off with all the abbreviations/acronyms I've seen; reminds me of my time in the Air Force).

A little bit about me: I'm just a regular guy that likes cars. I'm currently unemployed but I don't plan on being unemployed much longer. I have previous employment within the retail industry (electronics and cellular) but I'm looking for a 'career' change. Years ago I was a medic in the USAF. Enough about me...

...I'm currently the proud owner of a 2009 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 GT (6.0L L76 V8). I purchased it June of 2009 and it currently has just over 9K miles on the odometer. The OLM (Oil Life Monitor?) still hasn't alerted me of a need for an oil change (OnStar says I still have about 10% oil life left), but I'm not waiting any longer.

I'm planning on a 10K OCI (Oil Change Interval?) and have narrowed down my choices of oil and filters. I would like everyone's opinion.

Here is my situation:

*Since I am currently unemployed, I have to stay within a reasonable price point.
*I'm not a slow-poke behind the wheel. I think my gas pedal is made out of solid lead.
*I live in Connecticut (everything from blizzards to heat waves).
*Once I do get employment, I'll most likely have to deal with heavy traffic on I-95 (up to 20 miles each way).
*The Pontiac G8 GT requires almost 9 quarts of 5W-30 oil that meets GM6094M.

Normally I wouldn't mind the high end products (AMSOIL & RedLine seem to be highly rated) but I can't justify the price of those brands, especially since I can get a 5 quart jug of Mobil1 at WalMart for $23.50. Now I know Mobil1 isn't as good, but it certainly isn't bad. In fact, based on info available on AMSOIL's own site found here, I feel that AMSOIL and RedLine are not worth an additional $50 dollars or so, even with employment, but I do love my car.
20.gif
So I won't rule those options out in the future.

So I have decided on purchasing Mobil1 0w-30 at the above mentioned price (it's one of the few brands available in 0W-30), but I'm having a harder time picking an oil filter. The easy thing to do, I guess, is to get a 'matching' filter with this brand of oil: Mobil1 Extended Performance Oil Filter. However, I do have one eye on Royal Purple and the other on Fram Xtended Guard. I don't mind spending a little extra on the filter.

So, what are the pros and cons of the the oil I have picked out? Which of the above oil filters should I use? Are there better alternatives that fit my needs?

Thanks to everyone in advance!

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, and a slightly cheaper filter (Purolator, Wix, Napa Gold) will save you some coin, and easily make the OLM interval.

i had mobil 0w-30 in my tsx for 700 miles and dumped it out. Engine did NOT run smooth, it seem to have a slight rumble during start up and after warmed up, it did not seem to rev up freely. it is a thick 30w which is probably why it reacted like that

Pennzoil Platinum seems to be very popular on this forum as well; is it available in 0W-30? I haven't seen any.

Welcome to BITOG!

Mobil 1 is a fine choice, and the 0W-30 will offer ample low-temperature protection. It should be fine for 10,000 miles, but you might want to do a UOA at 10,000 to make sure it's holding up all right. I'm sure it will, but better safe than sorry.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance is only slightly more expensive than standard Mobil 1 ($27.50 at Wal-Mart), but is guaranteed for 15,000 miles/1 year. Not a bad deal, usually. The 5W-30 would likely be fine in your climate.

Mobil claims that no special filters are needed for 15,000 miles with M1EP, so I doubt that any special filter would be needed for 10,000 miles. Sure, you couldn't go wrong with a Fram Extended Guard, but I wouldn't go about spending more than $10 or so for a filter for those miles. If you can pick up a Mobil 1 filter for less than that, go for it. Purolator PureOne filters are about $6.75 at PepBoys near me, and are excellent.

PepBoys and AutoZone are both running rather good discounts on Mobil 1/Mobil 1 Extended Performance with Mobil 1 filters. If you can get those deals where you are, go for it.

Last edited:
http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsibility/environment/maintenance/gm_approved_engine_oils.pdf

Anything that meets the stringent GM High Performance 4718M ("Corvette specification"), changed at OLM intervals, will give you the extra spoilin' you are looking for for your vehicle.

Filter-wise, there's no hard and fast rule, other than avoiding all FRAMs except for the well-built XG and TG. Forum favorites include Purolator PureOne ("P1") and Wix, both of which boasts great filtration and flowrate. But usually auto stores sell oil/filter as a package deal, so simply use that unless it's a non-XG or TG FRAM.

Originally Posted By: RafRol

So I have decided on purchasing Mobil1 0w-30 at the above mentioned price (it's one of the few brands available in 0W-30), but I'm having a harder time picking an oil filter. The easy thing to do, I guess, is to get a 'matching' filter with this brand of oil: Mobil1 Extended Performance Oil Filter. However, I do have one eye on Royal Purple and the other on Fram Xtended Guard. I don't mind spending a little extra on the filter.

So, what are the pros and cons of the the oil I have picked out? Which of the above oil filters should I use? Are there better alternatives that fit my needs?

Mobil1 0w-30 is a very good choice, also Pennzoil Platinum and Valvoline Synpower 5W30 are good too if you can find it on sale.

M1 Oil Filter and Fram Xtended Guard are good filters, so is Purolator Pure 1.

I think Pep Boys has M1 oil and filter on sale right now at about $30 for 5 quarts M1 (or M1 EP) and M1 oil filter. You can buy 1 5-qt jug at Walmart and 1 oil change at Pep Boys, you will about 1 quart for top off if needed.

If you frequent the sub-forum Sale and Rebate near the bottom you will find many current sale oil and filter posted regularly.

Hello everyone here at BITOG! I've been reading throughout this forum and see that there are many knowledgeable members. I'm confident that I'll learn a thing or two here (I'll have to start off with all the abbreviations/acronyms I've seen; reminds me of my time in the Air Force).

A little bit about me: I'm just a regular guy that likes cars. I'm currently unemployed but I don't plan on being unemployed much longer. I have previous employment within the retail industry (electronics and cellular) but I'm looking for a 'career' change. Years ago I was a medic in the USAF. Enough about me...

...I'm currently the proud owner of a 2009 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 GT (6.0L L76 V8). I purchased it June of 2009 and it currently has just over 9K miles on the odometer. The OLM (Oil Life Monitor?) still hasn't alerted me of a need for an oil change (OnStar says I still have about 10% oil life left), but I'm not waiting any longer.

I'm planning on a 10K OCI (Oil Change Interval?) and have narrowed down my choices of oil and filters. I would like everyone's opinion.

Here is my situation:

*Since I am currently unemployed, I have to stay within a reasonable price point.
*I'm not a slow-poke behind the wheel. I think my gas pedal is made out of solid lead.
*I live in Connecticut (everything from blizzards to heat waves).
*Once I do get employment, I'll most likely have to deal with heavy traffic on I-95 (up to 20 miles each way).

Normally I wouldn't mind the high end products (AMSOIL & RedLine seem to be highly rated) but I can't justify the price of those brands, especially since I can get a 5 quart jug of Mobil1 at WalMart for $23.50. Now I know Mobil1 isn't as good, but it certainly isn't bad. In fact, based on info available on AMSOIL's own site found here, I feel that AMSOIL and RedLine are not worth an additional $50 dollars or so, even with employment, but I do love my car.
20.gif
So I won't rule those options out in the future.

Any of the name brand synthetics available in 5qt jugs at WM would be a good choice with such a large sump. 9qts = WOW! GM6094M is a pretty easy oil standard to meet. It is strictly related to how the oil flows at a set temperature( cold ). What is more important for you is to be sure the oil you select is API Certified with the Starburst and that you stay with the recommended 5W-30. You can usuallly get away with running 0W in extreme cold climates.

I would caution you however not to always expect 9-10K out of your OLM especially if you do end up stuck in that I95 traffic( Hartford/Stamford area near I91? - if so it is brutal ). It will fall even faster in the winter if you do much warm up idling. The heavy traffic though will cause your OLM to plummet very fast regardless of time of year. You very well could be doing 5-6K OCI's to stay within the OLM. You might get that 9-10K each time but I wouldn't plan on it. JMHO.

The RP filters are excellent. I think a performance application like yours is a good place for them. IF you have a PepBoys near you IMO the $14.99 they cost is worth it. Probably not to most if you end up at 5K but if you can at least hit say 7500 I would do it. Heck I run them in my vehicle on 5K OCI's but I am anal about that stuff and a few bucks extra for the best filter is worth it to me. If money is a real issue then a Purolator PureOne is a good choice too for $7-$8 as would be K&N and Mobil 1 filters for a few $$$ more.

Note 1 - if you are going with RP filters I am assuming you have a local PepBoys as I still haven't seen them anywhere else yet. PB's sells 5W-30 Kendall GT1 full synthetic( now with liquid Titanium - ooooh!
lol.gif
). It is an excellent oil and would be a good choice for your application and use IMO. Meets all of your waranty requirements as well. They sell it for $4.99 p/qt. The M1 oil you are pricing out at $23.50 comes out at $4.70 p/qt. So buying 9qts of GT1 @ $44.91 will run you less than 2 5qt jugs of the M1( $47 ) at initial purchase and you don't end up with an extra qt left over to deal with. Just something to check out.

Note 2 - There will NEVER be a Fram filter on my vehicle or a filter made for another company by Fram! I don't care what model Fram it is or what people say about it being good. NEVER! There are so many other options for you out there that are better quality( and usually cheaper )without the long history of poor products that Fram has it is not funny. Look elsewhere for your filter for that fine vehicle please.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: znode
http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsibility/environment/maintenance/gm_approved_engine_oils.pdf

Anything that meets the stringent GM High Performance 4718M ("Corvette specification"), changed at OLM intervals, will give you the extra spoilin' you are looking for for your vehicle.

Filter-wise, there's no hard and fast rule, other than avoiding all FRAMs except for the well-built XG and TG. Forum favorites include Purolator PureOne ("P1") and Wix, both of which boasts great filtration and flowrate. But usually auto stores sell oil/filter as a package deal, so simply use that unless it's a non-XG or TG FRAM.

Something just to note here - this vehicle does not REQUIRE a 4718M oil, just 6094M.

Therefore, you don't have to stick to the list of 4718M oils - use any synthetic you want that is at least 6094M certified.

NHHEMI,

You make a good point of a 10K OCI in routine stop and go traffic. I wouldn't have a problem with a 5K OCI.

Yes, there is a PepBoys in town which I will be visiting soon to see what kind of deals they have. I'll be checking out their prices on RP oil along with the RP filter.

Yes, the G8 swirls 8.8 quarts to be exact! Must be the 364 cubic inches.
grin2.gif

M1 oils will serve you well. I've used them for decades and they will keep your engine very clear and long lived.

Just use whatever name brand synthetic is on sale or rebate, with any good quality filter that is on sale (p1, m1, etc).

Last edited:
NHHEMI,

You make a good point of a 10K OCI in routine stop and go traffic. I wouldn't have a problem with a 5K OCI.

Yes, there is a PepBoys in town which I will be visiting soon to see what kind of deals they have. I'll be checking out their prices on RP oil along with the RP filter.

grin2.gif

They usually have an RP deal on 5qts of oil with an RP filter for around $45-$50 which is a decent deal seeing as the filter is $15. Regular PB's price for RP oil though is outrageous and I would not even consider it by the qt at regular price( $8.99 p/qt here ).

Unfortunately the RP 5W-30 does not meet the letter of the law so to speak in regards to your warranty requirements. RP 5W-30 is only certified to API SL and thus it does not carry the required Starburst( that needs API SM at this time ). It does exceed the GM6094M performance spec's but without that API Starburst you can run into hassles. I ran it in my 07 Silverado because the dealer was cool with it but other dealers may not be.

Last edited:
grin2.gif

How in the world did the GM 5.7L LS1 in my old 2002 Z28 go from holding 5.5 qts to their 6.0L holding 8.8 qts? That is absolutely absurd.

*puts tinfoil hat on*

I swear GM, now government owned, is in bed with big oil to make their cars hold more oil so the consumer not only spends but ultimately consumes more as well. 8.8 qts is retarded. Don't even get me started on Porsche.

*takes off tinfoil hat*

I'd like to thank everyone for their good input.

I finally bit the bullet and purchased Mobil1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy with their extended performance filter.

PepBoys had a sale on 5 individual quarts with the filter for $29.99. They had the same promotion with Royal Purple but for $49.99; I was tempted, but as NHHEMI mentioned above, RP didn't have the API Starburst and ultimately, I had to stay within budget.

After taking advantage of the $29.99 deal, I went down to Walmart and picked up a 5 quart jug for $23.50. (This was something that HTSS_TR recommended)

So I have 10 quarts and a quality filter for $53.50. I'll use up 9 quarts and have a spare in the trunk JIC (just in case). Sure I could have done it cheaper with other brands, but I'm not breaking the bank either (remember, I need at least 9 quarts); and if Mobil1 is good enough for a Corvette, it's good enough for my Pontiac.?

I want to thank everyone once again. I'll be seeing you guys on other threads.

-Rafael

Originally Posted By: znode
Filter-wise, there's no hard and fast rule, other than avoiding all FRAMs except for the well-built XG and TG.

Just one more note to this, probably doesn't apply to him, but FRAM also makes excellent cartridge filters too. In my MS3 for instance, it's one of the best filters out there and has a good price. It's funny to b/c the Pure One's cartridge filter is pretty [censored]. So it's almost a reverse situation from the can filter world.

Oh and the XG's are very awesome, like you said.

Fram catches a lot of flak here but in reality, they, like most companies, have a varying range of quality depending on the product. XG = awesome, TG = very good, cartridge = very good to excellent and the rest suck. So I'm not sure why people here say "FRAM SUCKS OMG AVOID BAIL OUT!!" when in reality, it depends on which fram filter you're talking about. They have excellent filters and horrible filters and everything in between.

On Topic: You're making an excellent choice with M1 0w30 that oil is one of my favorites. I've ran it in several vehicles with excellent results!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back