Green cap M1 0W20 in a 2008 Kia Rondo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calls for 5W20 but want to use a synth and squeeze every last drop of fuel mileage out of it. I'm starting to become a believer in the whole "thin oil thing" but am still a little itchy about running it in mid July. It's the missus car, so it's driven in a civil manner and is used on a 80 mile mostly xway commute so the recommended 7500 OCI seems long enough. Just anxious about high temp protection. Thoughts/opinions/rants welcomed and encouraged. Thanks.

Hi,
watajob - Firstly, welcome to BITOG - I hope that enjoy your time with us

M1 0W-20 will do just fine in your car - it should meet all of the specifications mandated by Kia

Obviously Kia calls for a SAE20 viscosity lubricant and you are conforming with that by using one!

If they both meet spec, then 5w20 and 0w20 should protect equally as well at temperature.

With your car's mostly highway usage, use the green cap 0w20 with full confidence.

If you are thinking about saving money, I have a better solution for you. Buy the cheaper regular 5w20, and tell the missus to drive 2-5mph slower than her usual highway speed on cruise control.

You'll save more money that way than running the 0w20 at full highway speed!

I guess it all depends on where "Here" is.
welcome2.gif

My Hyundai (Kia's parent company) has 5w20 stamped on the cap but in the owners manual it says 5w30 below 32oF and 10w30 above... I would read the owners manual completely and see if it doesn't call for something else. I think they printed 5w20 because of CAFE standards... I'm sure a 5w20 will work fine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back